Book News!

Raven

No reason why you should get into the Harry Potter books, Anna, thank goodness we all have different tastes.  I enjoyed them, but I don't like much contemporary crime, so I don't think these crime novels will be for me, to be honest, but I know lots of people here are interested in that genre, and also interested in Jo Rowling too.  Each to their own! :D

I know what you mean about Amazon though - my wish list is enormous, and they just keep recommending more ...  :roll:

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No reason why you should get into the Harry Potter books, Anna, thank goodness we all have different tastes.  I enjoyed them, but I don't like much contemporary crime, so I don't think these crime novels will be for me, to be honest, but I know lots of people here are interested in that genre, and also interested in Jo Rowling too.  Each to their own! :D

I know what you mean about Amazon though - my wish list is enormous, and they just keep recommending more ...  :roll:

Aw- thanks!  I hope they are good!  Nothing worse than a bad crime/ detective book (looking at you John Standford).  I even admire her a little, trying a different genre and adopting a pen name.

Amazon now sends me an email with the subject "Books to read after (the book I just read)".  Lovely.  :P

As long as she doesn't set them in America? :giggle2:

I don't have a problem with pen names- heck, Joe Hill is one of my favorite writers and it's a pen name.  You just have to read Lee Child to understand, I guess.  In the excerpts of the interview I posted with him, he basically states he knows nothing of the details he puts in his books, that he makes them all up because they sound good.  If you read Child, you know why I feel he is a fraud.

Right now, I know more about Robert Galbraith than I do this "new" Lee Child I've discovered.  And I do Admire Rowling for doing something way different, she had to have a pen name to do it.

Edited by Anna Begins

I own all of her books (including Cuckoo Calling). I haven't gotten the last one yet. I do love her versatility. Rowling has a raging imagination. Not sure when I'll get around to reading the mystery novels because I'm such a George Elliot fan that I feel like I'm being unfaithful, lol!  

As for the Potter books, maybe she's doing it to keep the story alive (as if it needed help!). I'd hate to think she were teasing us for no reason, cruel, cruel, CRUEL! But if she did...I can't imagine the fervor!

As long as she doesn't set them in America? :giggle2:

Actually, it'd be quite interesting for her to start an American series.

I've only read her detective story, have the second one waiting here to be read.  I quite enjoyed it.  Almost makes me want to read Harry Potter. :P

You just have to read Lee Child to understand, I guess.  In the excerpts of the interview I posted with him, he basically states he knows nothing of the details he puts in his books, that he makes them all up because they sound good.  If you read Child, you know why I feel he is a fraud.

No, quite frankly.  It doesn't bother me in the slightest. 

Chuck Palahniuk is coming out with a new book called Beautiful You, but the Amazon description is too explicit to post.  His last, Damned was horrible- IMO- but I will at least read the sample for this one and probably the book too.  Out October 21st in the US.

He also just came out this month with a collection of "transgressive fiction", called Burnt Tongues.

From Amazon:

Transgressive fiction authors write stories some are afraid to tell. Stories with taboo subjects, unique voices, shocking images—nothing safe or dry.
Burnt Tongues is a collection of transgressive stories selected by a rigorous nomination and vetting process and hand-selected by Chuck Palahniuk.  These stories run the gamut from horrific and fantastic to humorous and touching, but each leaves a lasting impression.  Some may say even a scar.

No, quite frankly.  It doesn't bother me in the slightest. 

I'm glad - I wish some would rub off on me.  I don't even miss them that much- although I am curious, so I might return to them.  I dunno, jury is out.  Everyone I know- and you and Tim- including my mom and dad, think I'm being ridiculous , so maybe I am.  :shrug:

• 2 weeks later...

Some people don't like a book cover.

and

Some people don't like a book seller (but some do).

I have to admit the book cover is a bit of an odd choice, but a lot of the Penguin Modern Classics covers are a bit left-field so I don't really understand why people are getting so worked up about it.  Perhaps they should have gone with a picture of Gene Wilder.

The problem with the book cover for me is that it's so creepy. *shudder* Gene Wilder looking manic would have been much better. :yes:

Not sure about the Amazon dispute, although I do feel that they have a point when it comes to kindle book costs.

Hilary Mantel talks about Wolf Hall (did ya know there's a movie coming!?) and Thomas Cromwell in BBC History Magazine, out now for September.  There is also a large piece on James Bond/ Ian Fleming.

Edited by Anna Begins

Drat, I thought there was a link.....googling..... :)

Sorry, I got it through Amazon at the Newsstand... I don't know if it is online :blush2: There is a piece on Rome too.

Sorry, I got it through Amazon at the Newsstand... I don't know if it is online :blush2: There is a piece on Rome too.

Ahhh, just looking at their website, the mag I mean.  I'll check it out on Amazon.  Seems to be a fascinating magazine!  Thanks. :D

Ahhh, just looking at their website, the mag I mean.  I'll check it out on Amazon.  Seems to be a fascinating magazine!  Thanks. :D

Its awesome- I've been reading every issue since Jan.

Oh cool!  I hope you like it- they have great book reviews.  I'm anxiously awaiting the Hilary Mantel Wolf Hall article- I just haven't gotten to it yet!  I'm still on the Incas- amazing.