Back Story by David Mitchell

frankie

I've just found out that David Mitchell (the comedian) has written his memoir which will be published next month, it's titled Back Story, and here's what Book Depository has to say about it:

"David Mitchell, who you may know for his inappropriate anger on every TV panel show except Never Mind the Buzzcocks, his look of permanent discomfort on C4 sex comedy Peep Show, his online commenter-baiting in The Observer or just for wearing a stick-on moustache in That Mitchell and Webb Look, has written a book about his life. As well as giving a specific account of every single time he's scored some smack, this disgusting memoir also details: * the singular, pitbull-infested charm of the FRP ('Flat Roofed Pub') * the curious French habit of injecting everyone in the arse rather than the arm * why, by the time he got to Cambridge, he really, really needed a drink * the pain of being denied a childhood birthday party at McDonalds * the satisfaction of writing jokes about suicide * how doing quite a lot of walking around London helps with his sciatica * trying to pretend he isn't a total **** at Robert Webb's wedding * that he has fallen in love at LOT, but rarely done anything about it * why it would be worse to bump into Michael Palin than Hitler on holiday * that he's not David Mitchell the novelist. Despite what David Miliband might think"

I'm definitely happy he's written something! I'm a fan :wub: I'll add the book to my wishlist and will hopefully acquire a copy soon.

Anyone else interested?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may not be in love him with like some people (;)), but I think he's hilarious and will definitely put this on my wish list. :) I could hear his voice in my head while reading that synopsis. :D

(And yes, I did think you were writing about the author when I saw the topic name, although I should have known better!)

Oh my goodness :thankyousigna2: .. I've just booked it :yahoo: Oh my, I think I need to sit down .. I am sitting down :D Gracious! .. I'll be able to get my book .... signed :exc: I might even get a photo. Oh thank you frankie, I won't forget you (if you want your own dedicated copy let me know :)) .. that is I'm presuming he will do that .. of course he will do that. I won't forget to ask him about marriage frankie ... oh my I can't thank you enough :thud:

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe I missed your post, poppyshake, because I didn't know you were going?!? That's why I've been so gobsmacked :D I'm so happy you got to go and met him. Please tell us everything? Or have you already written about it in your reading log? Duh, sure you must have! :wub:

Or crap, I could've asked you to buy me a copy and then could've paid you back, bloody hell! I can't believe I missed that post! :banghead::D Well can't be helped now.

What was he like? Did you really tell him he had a Finnish fan? :D

I can't believe I missed your post, poppyshake, because I didn't know you were going?!? That's why I've been so gobsmacked :D I'm so happy you got to go and met him. Please tell us everything? Or have you already written about it in your reading log? Duh, sure you must have! :wub:

Or crap, I could've asked you to buy me a copy and then could've paid you back, bloody hell! I can't believe I missed that post! :banghead::D Well can't be helped now.

What was he like? Did you really tell him he had a Finnish fan? :D

I have written about it in my reading blog but honestly frankie .. do you think I would go and see him and not remember my Finnish friend? (and his greatest admirer) .. consider it your Christmas prezzie :friends0: I'll wing it to you soon xx

Both he and his assistant (lady you can just see out of shot in Alan's pic with David) thought it was very cute that he had a Finnish admirer .. you are his FIRST Finnish admirer .. probably only Finnish admirer. He was lovely, just as you'd expect and everyone was in fits of laughter.

I have written about it in my reading blog but honestly frankie .. do you think I would go and see him and not remember my Finnish friend? (and his greatest admirer) .. consider it your Christmas prezzie :friends0: I'll wing it to you soon xx

Both he and his assistant (lady you can just see out of shot in Alan's pic with David) thought it was very cute that he had a Finnish admirer .. you are his FIRST Finnish admirer .. probably only Finnish admirer. He was lovely, just as you'd expect and everyone was in fits of laughter.

You did?! Oh my god :D You are such a sweetheart!! Thank you so much! :wub: The steaks are high this year, I'm so gonna start planning on your Christmas present right now :lol:

Did you sniff him? Did he smell good? :giggle: Did I see correctly that in that pic the lady had a paperback copy of the novel? I'm so happy that he is just as lovely as we would expect. And funny! I'm so happy you got to meet him :smile2: I'm sure Alan was a bit hesitant at first, though :giggle:

You did?! Oh my god :D You are such a sweetheart!! Thank you so much! :wub: The steaks are high this year, I'm so gonna start planning on your Christmas present right now

No, young lady .. both you and Kylie have sent me more than one book prezzie this year and we agreed that they were to be my Christmas prezzies and clever yous for getting in early and beating the dreaded Christmas post :)

Did you sniff him? Did he smell good? Did I see correctly that in that pic the lady had a paperback copy of the novel? I'm so happy that he is just as lovely as we would expect. And funny! I'm so happy you got to meet him I'm sure Alan was a bit hesitant at first, though.

He did smell good actually :giggle: and he was so nice. There were no paperbacks available .. I guess they will come later but the lady handed him every book (and the name was already written on a post it note, written by the lady, so that David didn't make any mistakes .. everyone had to give their name that way .. Alan gave her my name .. and I gave her yours .. that felt funny because it was like MY name for the space of a few mins :D) She also offered to take any pics if you didn't have someone with you. There were about 500 people there so it took some time, poor David .. I guess that's why he needed the pint of beer :D

David had talked about some of his favourite sketches and moments from Peep Show (new series coming soon :)) and his other roles and they all seemed to revolve around people wetting themselves. There was one hilarious anecdote where Colley .. (Olivia Colman - Sophie in Peep Show) laughed so much she actually wet herself during a stage production they were in together and it rolled across the stage and down into the front row :giggle: it was made even funnier by the fact that the audience were hating the play so much. When Alan went to get my book signed, he told David about his favourite sketch which came from the That Mitchell & Webb Look .. which involved the two snooker commentators .. one peed in a pint glass and the other wasn't sure when he went to pick up his beer which had beer and which had pee in it .. there was the vaguest of gestures where he just felt the glass to see which one was warm .. nothing was said .. and then he picked up the cool one and started drinking :giggle2: Alan nearly wet himself when he saw it and David was laughing at the recollection and said that it wasn't scripted .. it was improv.

There are some darling piccies in the book .. he did look a bit of a geek when he was little .. somehow that endears him to me more.

I'm glad you had a great time, you lucky thing! And how darling of you to tell him about Frankie. :D

I love that they were so organised, especially with spelling the names. When I met Pete Best (original Beatles drummer), I told him my name twice and spelt it out and he still wrote it completely wrong. I met John Lennon's half-sister at the same time, and I think she also spelt my name wrong.

No, young lady .. both you and Kylie have sent me more than one book prezzie this year and we agreed that they were to be my Christmas prezzies and clever yous for getting in early and beating the dreaded Christmas post

Haha, as if you could really think you could get away with that! :D I've already thought a few things I want to get you! My local friends and I always agree we won't buy each other Christmas presents so it's only wonderful to be able to do some Christmas shopping (I almost wrote 'chopping') for friends on here :smile2:

He did smell good actually :giggle:

Swoon! Oh I hope he doesn't ever come on here and read what we write about him :giggle2:

I guess they will come later but the lady handed him every book (and the name was already written on a post it note, written by the lady, so that David didn't make any mistakes .. everyone had to give their name that way ..

That's really clever and very nice of them :yes: It's funny how the English names can be spelled wrong, here in Finland we pronounce our letters and names the way they are spelled, and they can only be pronounced in one way, there's no room for error (very different from English), and it's hard to get them wrong, unless they are more uncommon ones and you mishear them.

Alan gave her my name .. and I gave her yours .. that felt funny because it was like MY name for the space of a few mins)

I wonder what David made of long tall Alan when he was given the name Kay :D Oh you are so precious for remembering me, you should've seen me last night, all giddy :lol:

David had talked about some of his favourite sketches and moments from Peep Show (new series coming soon :))

A new season?! Awesome! I thought they'd buried the show. It's such a unique one, it's wonderful how one can look into David's eyes while watching, hehe!

and his other roles and they all seemed to revolve around people wetting themselves. There was one hilarious anecdote where Colley .. (Olivia Colman - Sophie in Peep Show) laughed so much she actually wet herself during a stage production they were in together and it rolled across the stage and down into the front row :giggle: it was made even funnier by the fact that the audience were hating the play so much.

I adore Olivia Colman, I think she's splendid in Peep Show, and she's so beautiful and so British... I bet she was always rather miffed that she was having to kiss the camera instead of David, though!

I can't believe she lost her cool during a play and wet herself :D That's too funny! But I can see how it can escalate from there when the audience is really hating it and can see nothing funny in it, you'll just start laughing harder!

I love it when celebrities of David's calibur (a refined, intellectual man who has a way with words) aren't afraid to tell wee jokes. Shows they are not taking themselves too seriously and being hoity-toity. Oh man, I would have a great wee story for David... but now it shall forever remain a secret.

There are some darling piccies in the book .. he did look a bit of a geek when he was little .. somehow that endears him to me more.

I don't blame you. I can't wait to see the pics!

I'm glad you had a great time, you lucky thing! And how darling of you to tell him about Frankie.

I know! I still haven't gotten over it!

• 2 weeks later...

Poppyshake that was a nice little sub-story about you getting Frankie a dedicated copy.... lol Frankie I can't believe you asked Poppyshake if she sniffed him? And she answered as if it was a completely natural question! What is going on with that?

Poppyshake that was a nice little sub-story about you getting Frankie a dedicated copy.... lol Frankie I can't believe you asked Poppyshake if she sniffed him? And she answered as if it was a completely natural question! What is going on with that?

I agree VF, I'm still over the moon about poppyshake remembering me when she met him! :blush: Well she was bound to sniff his book, and heck, I think most of us would prefer sniffing both the book and Mr Mitchell himself :giggle: What's going on with that is that we have great admiration for Mitchell ;)

Somebody at the Book Depository certainly didn't like him though!

How do you mean?

As far as I know, poppyshake's been reading the book (I don't know if she's finished already) and she's certainly enjoyed it. She and I usually have similar taste in books, so I'm very much looking forward to reading the book and I have a feeling I'm really going to like it :)

Do you really think so? I took it in a completely different way :shrug:

Well he called it a "disgusting memoir". I can't judge, I haven't read it! But I was just a bit surprised to read it called so.