fav fiction books

Shadow_Lord12

I prefer the saga style fantasy series with multiple story arcs that all tie in together, but I get a bit miffed when they are not all wrapped up at the end of a series. Not a fan of too much gore, but enjoy a good battle scene. I definitely have to have points of view from various characters to really get into it, and humour interspersed through is a big plus too.

Check out the different fantasy threads where you can find all kinds of books and people's opinions on them. :readingtwo::D

• 1 month later...

Well all I ever read is fiction, so my favorite books are probably all the Harry Potter books, The Deception Point by Dan Brown and some of the books from the Vampire Academy series. I haven't read the whole series yet, so I don't know about the rest of the books. But so far so good. :) I'm loving everything I've read so far.

Well all I ever read is fiction, so my favorite books are probably all the Harry Potter books, The Deception Point by Dan Brown and some of the books from the Vampire Academy series. I haven't read the whole series yet, so I don't know about the rest of the books. But so far so good. :) I'm loving everything I've read so far.

I have read the first book and want to read the second but can not find it in any book shops or Big W.

I don't have a favourite book, but I do have a favourite type of book, and light and fluffy it is not (although I am not averse to a bit of humour). There needs however to be a point or an underlying message to that humour as opposed to humour just for the sake of it - highlighting hypocrisy for example or the stupidity of those in power. In general then I like a book that teaches me something in some way about what I would term the human condition - that can come in many guises from crime fiction to biography to tales of love, to travelogues. As long as it teaches me something and makes me think, then if I like the writers style, then I will buy it. If the book also happens to be set in a country or a culture that I am interested in, then so much the better.

The people in power are stupid? Now I'm worried.

Stop such blasphemy, you two! :o Leaders all the world over are positive geniuses, just ask them!

Shadow, cover you ears. Or eyes as the case may be. :lurker: These people LIE! :giggle2: Bad grown-ups!

Seriously though, my advice would be to sure that any side plots and characters are wrapped up by the story's end. I love stories with multiple plots and characters, but I hate it when a writer gets me interested in one of them but forgets to tie it off by the end. Whether the resolution is a happy ending, or tragic, or just plain weird, don't leave your readers hanging unless you are using such side plots or characters as a kind of cliff hanger tease for future stories that expand on your original, in which case it's a great trick. Hope that makes sense. :readingtwo:

Edited by wordsgood

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys just wondering what your fav fiction books are and what you like in a good book

Great question, especially the second half. Surprised it's not surfaced before (or has it?).

For me it's increasingly books that are character or place centred. My reading used to be far more plot driven, although looking back it's characters I tend to remember rather than the plots. I largely prefer books that are focused on 'real life', so don't go a great bundle on fantasy, horror, sci-fi etc (and very rarely find books 'funny'), although individual books within those genres do stand out. Thus, I love the Rivers of London and Jasper Fforde books, although, for me, they are rooted in reality, even if quirkily off the wall in other ways! Historical fiction is a favourite (e.g Sarah Dunant), although not of the Philippa Gregory / Ken Follett / Simon Scarrow etc type. Not suprisingly, perhaps, the Victorian classics feature strongly on my favourites lists. Having said all that, I do also really enjoy some European crime, especially Donna Leon, Andrea Camilleri, George Simenon and some Scandinavian noir - but again they still have a strong place/character element.

My top ten or so fiction books would probably a selection of (off the top of my head): A Month in the Country, Sense and Sensibility, Bleak House, To The Lighthouse, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Sea Road, Wolf Hall, This Thing of Darkness, Wuthering Heights, A Suitable Boy, A Very Long Engagement. Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin sequence would probably have to feature too.

The people in power are stupid? Now I'm worried.

Meh. I don't let these things worry me anymore.

There is truly only one person who has power over my life...ME.

Wait. Maybe now I should be worried. :D

In answer to the OP, I mostly read fiction, and my favorites are any novels that have relevant themes and true character development.

Genre really doesn't matter that much.

Edited by Pixie

It really depends, as a teenager I was very passionate about King, I found his writing style excellent and I enjoyed the thorough psychological analysis of characters.

Lately I have really gotten into Carlos Ruiz Zafon's work but I only enjoy it because of his fantastic imagination and I guess I read it for the story itself. I don't necessarily enjoy his writing style, I thought it was maybe due to translation but I read his books in English and Polish and something seems to be missing.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am new to the forum and saw this post. I am an odd sort, I love Fiction/Fantasy books that really bring you into the story. My favorite books so far, and you might laugh but they are fantastic reads, are the World of Warcraft novels. They are so descriptive and the stoylines kept me entranced all the way through!

• 1 month later...

I love historical fiction, but my favourite type is that gothic victorian style of mystery.  My hubby jokes everytime he sees the shadow of a man on a book cover, that is my type of book.  Things such as Shadow of the Wind, The Book Thief, and then on the flip side IQ84 are books I have fallen in love wiht reading.  Also anything written between 1820 and 1930, especially at the moment Hardy :)

• 2 weeks later...

For me, it has to be Victorian classics: Dickens, Trollope, Eliot, Collins, Thackeray and all.  Not just English either - Tolstoy, Zola and so on.  There's nothing like curling up and immersing oneself deep into the nineteenth century with a really good, in-depth, story - they just don't tell them like that any more!

Hmmm how long a list do you want? LOL

I love the discworld books be terry pratchett and the xanth series by piers Anthony, oh and some of terry brooks books and the green rider books and .... :)

And as to what I think makes a good book hmmm well for one thing it has to flow and is has to have a good story, and then there is that indefinable something that makes a good book.

I'll agree with Vimes on Xanth and Discworld, But for me the characters in the Shannara series by Brooks were interchangable.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite fiction books have so many faces. It all depends on just how a book touches me. Books like Water for Elephants, The Secret Life of Bees, The Help, Doomsday Book, The Day of the Triffids, Farenheid 451, are just some of the books that stick with me. Books by Janet Evanovich, especially her numbers series, just tickle me pink. I can also enjoy historical fiction, paranormal books or just practically anything. Crime stories are not my favorite, but they too can grab my attention. I do like my stories to have a well thought out ending. I hate a book to feel like it had to hurry up and end. It's so dissatisfying.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Why is it that when someone asks 'what's your favourite book?' the old mind goes blank! Or is it just me? Entirely possible. I have read zillions of books over the years, but my  memory can't always locate them when needed.Yes, the classics, Dickens and all the others mentioned, Jane Austen especially.From the 20th century I think that John Braine [Room at The Top[ was a great writer, also Alan Sillitoe [A Kind Of Loving]. Kate Atkinson would be on my list for almost all her books but particularly Behind The Scenes At The Museum.Also Pat Barker, for the Regeneration series.Kingsley Amis wrote wonderfully well, and I really enjoyed The Old Devils [not about demons!] Also Lucky Jim, and in fact just about his entire output.All the SF written by Brian Aldiss, Hothouse and Non-stop. Thomas Pamer wrote Dream science, SF and such a great book. Some of Stephen King would be there, notably IT and alsoThe Gunslinger series [sF/fantasy] Susan Hill for her entire output, especially King Of The Castle and The Woman In Black.

The Hitchhikers guide To The Galaxy of course [has to be!]Last but not least, The Master And Margerhita by Bulgakov. Apologies if I have mis-remembered any authors names.

I never have favorite anythings. I have terrible memory, so I probably won't be able to recall the plot of a book I read 3 month ago, if I can even remember the name.

I have a lot of books I loved, but I'm never able to maintain any kind of order of liking, if you know what I mean. If 3 books where great I couldn't tell you which one was best. I liked them all, why force a ranking?

But I certainly have favorite genres, that's easy. I love low and urban fantasy, English crime fiction, the kind where it's about the relationships and social background that lead to the crimes, not the ones with a lot of blood and danger. Sci-Fi, when it also explores new societies and relationships among different beings., Sometimes I enjoy books about people with certain mental illnesses.

I have to add a few more books to my list :),

Corean chronicles by whatshisface

Falco series by Lindsy Davies

Most of David Eddings books

The lord of the rings

Just a few more books LOL