J.K. Rowling addresses theory that ‘Harry did actually go mad in the cupboard’

PatrickUK

harry-potter-cupboard1.jpg?f0f9df

In a new clip from Harry Potter Wizard’s Collection, author J.K. Rowling and screenwriter Steve Kloves discuss one-on-one an opening scene in the Sorcerer’s Stone film and how Harry went mad.

The Huffington Post UK had the exclusive reveal. You can watch the clip below or read the transcript provided by Snitch Seeker:

Steve Kloves: There was this part in the script, when he was in the cupboard, I invented him a spider named Alastor, who he talked to. And he used to nick broken soldiers out of the rubbish bin, and he lined them up on the shelf. This broken army that Dudley had thrown out.

J.K. Rowling: It was such a great image, the broken army.

Kloves: And he used to talk to them, and the point was that he seemed slightly mad when I wrote the first draft. When Hagrid appeared, you thought he was out of his imagination for a minute. He had summoned this guy –

Rowling: I think that’s a fabulous point, and that speaks so perfectly to the truth to the books, because I had it suggested that to me more than once that Harry actually did go mad in the cupboard, and that everything that happened subsequently was some sort of fantasy life he developed to save himself.

Kloves: No and that’s where it came from. It came from the book. When you read the book, you make it pretty clear that he’s an abused boy.

Rowling: Totally. Of course he is.

Kloves: And so, there’s darkness there, and I would go with that.

Did you too get the impression that Harry had went mad living in “the cupboard under the stairs” for all those years?

I'm extremely sad with this possibility :(

Please, J.K Rowling, don't you think about doing that with us :(

LINK: http://www.hypable.com/2012/09/05/jk-rowling-steve-kloves-interview/

What's that?

Rowling trying to interpret her own book???

She's the only one to whom it should be clear, what she has written.

The possibility, that everything only happend in Harry's mind didn't even come to me, but it was a fantasy story and is supposed to be a bit strange.

And the end of the last book also isn't written like that.

It didn't occur to me either to think of it that way, but it does sound a bit like over-interpreting to me. The Harry Potter series was always meant to be for children, that's the audience Rowling wrote it for, and it almost seems like they're trying to for force a more adult theme onto it. If it's not what Rowling meant when she wrote it, it's not how it's supposed to be.

Also I agree with LittleW, the ending of the books doesn't really make sense alongside this interpretation.

I'm not sure she's announcing that that is the correct interpretation, more commenting on the screenwriters interpretation of the books on film, and readers interpretations. I think she leaves the possibility open, but doesn't close off or even downgrade the face value interpretation.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently watch the last Harry Potter film, and a little dialogue stuck in my head-

(between Harry and Dumbledore, in the King's Cross scene)-

Tell me one last thing, said Harry.

Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?

Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?

• 5 weeks later...

The Harry Potter series was always meant to be for children, that's the audience Rowling wrote it for, and it almost seems like they're trying to for force a more adult theme onto it.

Hayley, I completely agree. This is an over-interpretation of a book originally thought out for children. JK Rowling obviously did not expect to have such a strong adult audience, and I really think she feels obliged to force a more adult 'take' on the whole storyline.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I think that she shouldn't speak about Harry Potter until she writes other books related to magic and stuff. If she keeps on saying sh!t about Harry Potter, she'll end up losing all her fans.

Edited by PatrickUK

I think that she shouldn't speak about Harry Potter until she writes other books related to magic and stuff. If she keeps on saying sh!t about Harry Potter, she'll end up losing all her fans.

To be honest, I don't actively search for or pay attention to what authors say, for fear of discovering that they're awful people and then not enjoying their books so much (that and pure laziness ;) ).

I just read their books and ignore the authors mostly.

Doesn't really make a difference to me. People are always going to find different interpretations of novels and poetry etc. It's what we do. Especially if you study Literature or something like that. It makes it appealing to a variety of different audiences. Some people may have liked that reading of Harry Potter. But for me, it wasn't. I was like 5 or 6 or whatever when I first read this, I wouldn't think of something like that.