Death of a Salesman - Arthur Miller

Amelie

Hello everyone,

I read the play some years ago, absolutely loved it, and believe it or not, ever since then, I find everyday situtations, and come across people in my daily life, that will in some way or another remind me of the messages and characters in the play.

I was wondering, could the people who have watched this production at the Lyric, in London, tell me how they found it? I was just about to book tickets, but the thing is, I have very vivid mental images of how the characters look, how I imagined them, so I would just like to know if this production does it justice...

If you could recommend other productions, please let me know too!

Thanks guys :)

Amelie

I have not seen the production you're asking about, Amelie, but I do share your love of this play and I have seen other productions. I think the thing with plays is that you often subconciously give the actors and the director a bit more ... freedom. I don't know if it's the case with you, but I've found that to hold true for myself and some of my friends. Somehow when you read a play and then see it on stage, your mind often goes "well, it's a play, we're all SUPPOSED to interpret it differently". With books it's a bit different, it's more "this is the way it was written and that's it! You ruined it with your stupid movie adaptation!" But with plays, when there is so much more left for you to fill in (the surroundings, clothes, the look of the characters), you tend to give more freedom for others to do that too.

Am I making any sense?

All in all, I guess my advice would be to see if the play's getting good reviews in general, and if so, go see it. You might hate it, but it's not taking anything away from you, is it?

• 2 months later...

Thanks Gabbie, you are right about the different interpretations that people can give to a certain play. In fact, it may be interesting to see different standpoints, I will try to accept the likelihood of a different interpretation and make my choice :) Will let you know how it goes!