The Bourne Identity

vodkafan

I thought there might be a thread already on the Bourne books but I could not find it, admin please feel free to move this review, which is copied from my Genre Challenge page.

The Bourne Identity

Robert Ludlum

I am sorry to say that I did not enjoy this novel as much as it may have deserved. The reason was that my perception of the Jason Bourne character has been completely coloured by the recent 21st century film version, which I prefer.

I found the original novel very dated. It was all about Vietnam,and fabled 70's assassins and international banking. It was all cleverly thought out but the plot seemed to move at a snail's pace, there was not too much excitement. Of course being the 70's there was none of that clever stuff with mobile phones that would have speeded it up.

Fatally, I did not like the main character or that of Marie St Jaques. Bourne in the book seemed to have a strategy of blocking bullets with his body rather than avoiding them, he must have been shot about 9 times in the story, had his fingers crushed and his throat half cut but he was always up and about after a little rest and/or a cuddle with Marie which was a bit ridiculous.

I won't be reading any of the sequels but will continue to enjoy the film versions.

I would not have finished it, I was on the point of giving up when there was a big twist just after half way.

Edited by vodkafan

Totally agree with you, James. The weird thing is, I've read it twice - first back in the 80s, and then again a couple of years ago (after seeing the films and not really remembering much about the book from my first read). There's something about Ludlum's writing that just hasn't aged well at all. There's something very stuffy about it, hard-bitten and yet keeping you at arm's length so I never really engaged with the characters.

I read The Osterman Weekend back in the 80s, too, and I remember enjoying that at the time, as it was much shorter and more focused. I wonder what I'd make of it now?

I also read this as a result of watching the film, and agree - it doesn't stand up well to the passage of time. It felt very dated and slow-moving. I read The Matarese Circle which, as I remember, was quite engaging, but other books by Ludlum have falled to grab me, I'm afraid.

• 1 month later...