Doctor Who

Michelle

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kept expecting QE1 to say "now, in a minute..."  :giggle:

I stopped watching when Matt Smith took over (nothing against him - we were busy a lot and I got out of the habit - and when I tried again it just felt like it was the same each week...).  Can someone please explain to me how there could be 4 Doctors all there at the same time?   I thought the Doctor was just one person who regenerated. 

That said, I enjoyed the Tom Baker bit - he, with Jon Pertwee, were 'my' Doctors the first time round.  :)

I stopped coz I hate Matt Smith in the role...

There were multiple Doctors because he crosses his own timeline. Eg Dr Matt travels back in time to where his former self, Dr David is still Doctor. War Dr John travels forward to the time where his two future selves have met (although they are in Tudor England, which is our past). The Curator mentions that during is many incarnations he may find himself revisiting old "favourite" faces, meaning although he resembles a past Dr, he is actually a future regeneration, possibly the final one as he has "retired". Hence four incarnations in one place at the same time. Basically it's all timey wimey travel stuff.

Ah, that makes more sense then, I guess - thanks. :)   It would be odd if it had only just happened.  :)   I stopped watching at all when Sylvester McCoy took over - I didn't watch much of Colin Baker either.  I don't really remember Old Who!

Top stuff? Not sure, but it wasn't bad and it had some great moments. 

I though Smith, Tennant and Hurt all worked well together, but I found the Zygons to be more of a distraction than a boon (just why do all revisited Who monsters have to hiss and spit at everything?!). 

The best bit?  All the Doctors - including Capaldi - turning up to save Gallifrey.

I would have liked to have seen how Donna would have worked in this rather than Rose (though not in the same role as Rose). 

It was a bit strange having Billie Piper back but not having her interact with David Tennant in anyway. 

I also think they didn't give John Hurt enough to do, suspiciously neat shooting writing aside, it's great to just hear him talk but it felt like we could have seen more of him in war. He is The War Doctor after all!

I actually enjoyed it more on the second watch. There were too many in-jokes and self references for me to spot them all on the first time around. My eight year old daughter actually physically cringed away from the screen at the point when Kate Lethbridge-Stewart turned back into a Zygon. I loved that, the whole point of Doctor Who when I was a kid watching it was that it scared the cr*p out of you!

I think he may have unofficially done so, as actors who have played the Doctor have shown up in the background in other roles before then. Colin Baker showed up playing a Time Lord in an episode several seasons before he became The Doctor... ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I was rather disappointed in the episode as a whole - it felt very different to the 50th, and I loved that one. Plus, I've not been very keen on any of Moffat's Christmas episodes. However, I did love Matt's finish, and his little speech.

Capaldi does look as if he'll bring something very different to the show, he actually looked quite scary! I am, however, a little fed up with the amount of people already saying he's going to be WONDERFUL - I don't think we can know that until we see him the role, and see what he's given to work with.

I wasn't too impressed either Michelle. Admittedly I have missed the last three seasons of Dr Who apart from the odd episode. This was the first I have seen Clara Oswald I didn't see what she was bringing to the role, she didn't do anything except appeal to the Time Lords for help at the end.

The idea of the village where it was perpetual Christmas and everyone in Victorian clothes was too twee and rather naff.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree, I wasn't impressed with the Christmas episode, and like MIchelle I can't say I've enjoyed any of The Moff's Christmas offerings more than the previous writer (his name has escaped me, and I'm too lazy to open another tab to look it up!). He does seem to have a fixation on a Victorian style Christmas.

I need to watch the Christmas episode again as I missed a lot of the dialogue (I found out after the episode that my parent's TV was set for a music audio option and not dialogue - doh!).

With regard to previous Christmas outings I quite liked the Snowman one from last Christmas but to my mind A Christmas Carol is the best Moffat penned special by far (good script and great performances from both Smith and Michael Gambon).

I wasn't impressed with the Xmas episode, but I think I was destined not to think much of it as I have studiously avoided watching the show since Matt Smith took over the role. I watched the first few episodes with him and that Amy Pond lass and hated both of them - they put me right off - and I vowed not to watch again till the role was recast. Not sure about Capaldi in the role, but I'll give him a shot...

I kind of wish they'd go back and do a mini series focusing on the War Doctor with John Hurt - he was brilliant in the role. :)

I was unlike most people - I was unimpressed by the 50th anniversary, though I thought the season finale just before that was magnificient, and I actually loved the Christmas episode. I dislike Moffat, that is no secret, and I think he has ruined Who in a lot of ways. Matt Smith was wasted on him, in my opinion. So I've come to accept and expect a lower standard of Who as a result of Moffat, and I think that enabled me to thoroughly and unexpectedly enjoy the Christmas episode.

Some people found it confusing (I haven't read back further than a couple of posts in this thread so I don't know about the people here, but in reviews I read, people seemed confused) - I actually thought it was a really good way to bring together all of the big plot points from each of Smith's series into a grand finale. And as for the ending, I thought it was absolutely fabulous. 11's speech is one of my all-time favourite Who speeches now, it was beautiful.

I too am looking forward to seeing Capaldi as the Doctor, and am hoping he will be quite unlike the previous three Doctors.

I've come to accept and expect a lower standard of Who as a result of Moffat, and I think that enabled me to thoroughly and unexpectedly enjoy the Christmas episode.

I feel exactly the same!

I too am interested to see Capaldi as the Doctor. They aren't splitting the season as well which is great, and I hope they don't try and make it unnecessarily complicated like the last couple of seasons.