Doctor Who

Michelle

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

It is a shame that the bookies got wind of this as it took the surprise out of the announcement.

A good choice. 

I wasn't entirely sure when I was reading the news articles about Capaldi being a front runner earlier in the week, but there was something about his body language when he walked out that makes me think this will work.

Ooo, that's interesting! ^

I am pretty happy with their choice, although surprised that they went with a known name. I got back into Doctor Who through Matt Smith's incarnation, and back tracked from him. I am sad he is moving on as I do rate his skills, but the nature of DW is change. *a little sigh*

It was a real shame that his name was being banded about as a replacement, as I would have preferred more of a surprise. In an ideal situation I would have loved for the entire regeneration to be a surprise - let alone the who of it.

Ooo, that's interesting! ^

I am pretty happy with their choice, although surprised that they went with a known name. I got back into Doctor Who through Matt Smith's incarnation, and back tracked from him. I am sad he is moving on as I do rate his skills, but the nature of DW is change. *a little sigh*

It was a real shame that his name was being banded about as a replacement, as I would have preferred more of a surprise. In an ideal situation I would have loved for the entire regeneration to be a surprise - let alone the who of it.

Ditto and ditto : I`m a bit disappointed they didn`t go for someone more up-and-coming as a new-ish discovery, and it does take some of the fun out of the next regeneration. :smile:

Unfortunately there's no way they could keep it under wraps until we saw the regeneration. I was watching Gallifey Base during the last few days, and they go to great lengths to work it out! Capaldi was the most mentioned by the end, so I pretty much expected it. I didn't think I'd seen him in anything (apart from the DW episode) but he was also in Torchwood.

I really wasn't sure, but I had been saying that I wanted a more mature Doctor this time, and most people on GF were very happy, so I'm now looking forward to it. However, I don't think the writing has been that great recently, so I hope they don't let him down.

I know it will never happen, but I'm sort of hoping this is all a decoy, and that Capaldi will be cast in the series, but not as the Doctor.  The press would see him at the set, but won't see the actual filming, and assume that he's working in the role, but they're secretly filming other scenes and when the regeneration happens it'll actually be someone else and a complete surprise for everyone! :lol:

Edited by chesilbeach

No, it's not that at all - I love Peter Capaldi, and I think he could be a great Doctor, but like you, I've not been a fan of the writing of the last few series, and feel that will prevent me loving him as The Doctor.  I just wish the regeneration could be a proper surprise on the night, rather than everyone knowing in advance.

Regenerations have never been a surprise though, the BBC have always shouted them from the roof tops to get higher viewing figures/keep interest in the show.

I understand announcing the regeneration but it would be good if they kept it secret who the next doctor actually was, but I know that could never happen with the over-obsessive fan boys being so desperate to find out first. 

It was also a shame that it was leaked beforehand, it made the whole live announcing feel completely redundant and anti-climatic but never mind.  :dunno:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

With just over a week to go to the 50th anniversary, there are some interesting videos popping up on line.

First up, an interview with Steven Moffat, talking about all eleven Doctors.

Second, the trailer for An Adventure in Time and Space, a dramatized account of the origin's of Doctor Who that will air on BBC2 next Thursday (written by Mark Gatiss).

And lastly,

, with a very big surprise in it.  If you are a fan of Doctor Who and haven't seen this yet, don't look at any of the comments before you watch it!

Enjoy!