Doctor Who

Michelle

So, what did everyone think of the finale? Personally, I loved it - there are a few things I wasn't sure of, but on the whole, it kept me glued to my screen, and I enjoyed the story. As a River fan, the highlight for me was her last moments with the Doctor, realising that despite her doubts, he's absolutely in love with her.  :wub:

I've been reading some spoiler sections of GB, so I was already expecting John Hurt to pop up, and there's a popular theory as to how he fits in. So before I say anything, I'd be interested to know what people on here think?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's playing one of the old incarnations of the Doctor isn't he? Judging by his speech the forgotten one from the Eccleston era - the one that did the dark and horrible things to end the Time War.

As for the episode I thought it was fanastic. The River 'ending' (I'd bet money she'll be back in some shape or form) was great, the Clara reveal was simplistic but very effective (not to mention the great scenes where she was integrated with past Doctors), and the JH final seconds made my jaw drop because I'd avoided the spoilers and didn't expect it at all.

Overall thought it was rather neat and entertaining from Moffat; delivering a good 45min of tv without pacing it too badly and managing to set things up great for the anniversary in November is a success in my book.

Side note: John Hurt + Matt Smith = John Smith. Good coincidence or they've been name dropping that one much more on purpose this series.

He's playing one of the old incarnations of the Doctor isn't he? Judging by his speech the forgotten one from the Eccleston era - the one that did the dark and horrible things to end the Time War.

That is certainly the popular theory, and it did seem to fit in with what both he and Matt said. Some are saying that the problem with that is that both the 9th and 10th speak of what they did in the time war - they are not proud of their actions, but they do admit them. So why is it now described as their big secret?

I think my interpretation is that they admit their actions, but they try to keep that particular incarnation a secret as they're also ashamed of it.. maybe *that* incarnation felt differently about the genocide than the rest do?

It should certainly keep the fans discussing and debating until November! lol

I can't say that i've been particularily entralled by this current series, but I have to admit that the final 2 episodes were very, very good. Can't wait for the November episode!

The final episode of this half of the series was pretty good. Kept me hooked but confused at the same time. For some reason I never really understood the Great Intelligence person thing. I think I've heard it mentioned in regards to other episodes but I still don't really understand it. xD I thought it was interesting that John Hurt appeared at the end. I'm really intrigued to see where it goes. I'm wondering whether it's somehow linked to Smith and Tennant being in the same episode at the end? And I doubt it will be the last we see of River Song, just because she's "dead" doesn't mean he won't time travel and see her again.

I was thinking that Smith, Tennant and Hurt being in the anniversary special might be explained by the fact that Matt entered his own time-line in the season finale. There's bound to be repercussions from doing that.

I've refrained from posting anything about the final episode so far as I wanted to see it again to get my thoughts straight first, but I finally did last night, so:

I really liked it! 

The plot was utter bobbins, but enjoyable bobbins and my inner nerd really liked the start and how Clara fitted in with all the other Doctors.  There were so many great little touches in this; the prisoner at the beginning reciting his Whisper Men poem; Strax in Glasgow ("What is it, gurl?"); River Song's goodbye(?); the TARDIS repair men and so many other little beats.  The reveal at the end was interesting, though I had unfortunately had it spoiled for me by someone posting "rumours" on another forum. 

A good end to a variable series, but it did it's job and I'm now looking forward to seeing how the 50th Anniversary is going to play out.

You have eloquently summed up my feelings about that last episode Raven. :smile:

It was the little touches that made It so good. I especially appreciated the 'double bluff' of Clara approaching William Hartnell's Doctor, to warn that he is making a mistake, and her suggesting a better Tardis to take. :D Great stuff.

Roll on the 50th Anniversary episode!

I think they hit the mark with giving us Matt Smith, and he was unknown to me. I genuinely have no idea who would be good in the role, and none of the names proposed over the years have made me think "Ah yeah, he'd be / she'd be brilliant!".

I had a feeling that Matt was leaving when I saw pics of him with a shaven head.

I really liked Matt Smith! Chris O'Dowd tweeted last night that there had been rumours of him becoming the Doctor, but I don't think that would work. I can't really think of anyone that would be worthwhile.

Colin Morgan? Benedict Cumberbath? (This one, please)  It'll more likely be someone unknown, though. :smile2:

It'll more likely be someone unknown, though. :smile2:

That's true. I didn't know Smith or Tennant or Ecclestone before I watched Doctor Who. It's probably someone up and coming in the acting world.

Ecclestone was a very well respected dramatic actor when he took on the role of the Doctor, but he was a much more serious actor having starred in dramas such as Our Friends in the North and had moved a lot more into feature films.  The BBC needed someone who was well known and experienced enough to take the lead on such a big budget children's television show, and Ecclestone has said in interviews that children's television was something he'd never done before and he wanted to find out for himself if he could do it.  Tennant was less well known, although he had been in Blackpool and had the lead in Casanova, albeit on BBC Three, but it was another Russell T Davies project, so well known to the producers.  He was also a very prolific theatre actor, so had a good reputation from that too.

Smith was less well known, but not a complete unknown, and was a surprise as it was originally thought that Moffat wanted an older Doctor, and I wonder if that will be a factor in his next choice.

I had a feeling that Matt was leaving when I saw pics of him with a shaven head.

The Christmas episode isn't in the can yet, if his hair hasn't re-grown by the time filming starts he'll probably end up wearing a wig (like he did in the last episode of series six).

I'm surprised and disappointed there won't be another series with Smith as the Doctor, but it's the nature of the beast and he had to go sometime.

Ecclestone was a very well respected dramatic actor when he took on the role of the Doctor, but he was a much more serious actor having starred in dramas such as Our Friends in the North and had moved a lot more into feature films.  The BBC needed someone who was well known and experienced enough to take the lead on such a big budget children's television show, and Ecclestone has said in interviews that children's television was something he'd never done before and he wanted to find out for himself if he could do it.  Tennant was less well known, although he had been in Blackpool and had the lead in Casanova, albeit on BBC Three, but it was another Russell T Davies project, so well known to the producers.  He was also a very prolific theatre actor, so had a good reputation from that too.

Smith was less well known, but not a complete unknown, and was a surprise as it was originally thought that Moffat wanted an older Doctor, and I wonder if that will be a factor in his next choice.

Well, considering I don't watch the more serious acting that is done on the BBC I wouldn't have known that. xD