Doctor Who

Michelle

Oh dear, I really am beginning to find DW less and less appealing.  I thought this episode was quite boring, and it's missing the humour again.  I agree with Timstar that we're missing the lure of home and the earth based family of the companion (I always did love Jackie, Mickey and Pete :wub:), and although I actually think Jenna-Louise Coleman is a good actress, and I like her portrayal of what she's given to do, her story is leaving me cold.  I'm missing the heart and comedy of the early RTD series.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed last night's more than the previous few, but the reset button left me confused. I don't like resets at the best of times, but where did that one come from and how did it work? Ben, I think I've missed something, why is it a inside-joke?

Claire, you and I seem to be the only ones who really miss the RTD era. I'm fed up with seeing people on other forums constantly being mean about RTD and praising Moffat. Both had their good and bad, but there was a feel-good feeling from RTD which I miss.

It's odd, because towards the end of his era, I was critical of RTD, and only had glowing praise for Moffat's episodes. I think I also felt more connected with the programme in his era, because of Doctor Who Confidential and the podcast commentaries, which gave that added dimension to the stories. Whatever his faults may have been, RTD understood how to put heart, humour and emotion alongside the action of the adventures, and knew that as an audience, our way into the Doctor's world was through the companion, and to make that believable, they had to ground that on Earth with their family and friends. Moffat's episodes in the RTD era, were always some of the best (along with the awesome Paul Cornell), and seemed to fit perfectly under RTD's direction. Whenever we go back and watch the first couple of series, I have nothing but affection for it, even the weaker episodes are still enjoyable, even with their flaws.

I've just been doing some reading, and apparently some were confused by last night's ending, whilst others thought it was simple. The 'reset button' was in fact the remote control for the magnetic grabber. By switching it off, he avoided all the damage. Simple really, but it passed me by!

However, if that is true, I don't understand the photo in the salvage ship, of the whole family together. How did it change their complete history?

Looking forward, I am looking forward to the next 3 episodes, and am hoping it all pays off.

I missed 10 mins of the beginning of last night's episode but managed to watch the rest. I was just so confused (probably not helped by missing the beginning) and didn't understand what the hell was going on. I think that one was an okay episode. It does seem like this series lot of episodes, it's always a bit too easy to set things back to normal. Reset button and all that.

I missed 10 mins of the beginning of last night's episode but managed to watch the rest. I was just so confused (probably not helped by missing the beginning) and didn't understand what the hell was going on. I think that one was an okay episode. It does seem like this series lot of episodes, it's always a bit too easy to set things back to normal. Reset button and all that.

I was confused too! What was with the monsters, where did they come from? In general, I have been really disappointed with this new series and I would rather watch 'Dr Who' with Rory and Amy than Clara.

Risingdawn, never miss the 1st 10 mins, and expect to follow! :)

Karen, because the Tardis was falling apart, and there was a time rift, parts of the pat and future were 'leaking' through. The monsters were their future selves, who had been burnt.

Karen, because the Tardis was falling apart, and there was a time rift, parts of the pat and future were 'leaking' through. The monsters were their future selves, who had been burnt.

Ahh I see! I thought I heard the Dr say that it was Clara, but I could work out what the significance was. Also, do people think Clara is just a normal gorl, or something else? It seems weird that this idea keeps being repeated.

I love Doctor Who, and it was Matt Smith's performance in 'The Eleventh Hour' that made me even look at the Nu Who. That story was exciting, funny and compelling, and the moment when he said to the Atraxi "Hello, I'm the Doctor" as he stepped through the image of 10 had me hooked. That young face able to convey such depth and age. Yowzer.

It should be noted that I have since gone back and watched all of the series from Mr Ecclestone's tenure onward. Great stuff!   

I have enjoyed them all, each of these three doctors bringing something fab to the table - Nine's anger and angst, Ten's daftness and emotional wobbliness and Eleven's 'Mad man in a box'. I have enjoyed each episode, some more than others obviously but I enjoy the variety of characters and stories. Stand alone episode or part of an arc, I am able to enjoy any of them, sometimes being spoon fed a story and at other times being mentally challenged enough to make me feel like a complete nincompoop. Love 'em!

And as regards the opening titles, I am enjoying this homage to the past, and get a nostalgic tingle as well as a new-episode-to-be-watched thrill. Geronimo! :D

I am not a fan of Dr Who and never have been.  However, my OH is a total fan boy and so, by proxy, I have developed an above average Dr Who knowledge base.

I'm usually doing something else whilst he indulges in his weekly viewing but I always find myself sucked in, against my better judgement!  I can't help it, it's completely captivating.  I have to admit that I am enjoying this latest series, more than the last few series definitely.  I also like Clara (Lancashire, Sass!!)

Still not a Dr Who fan though....... ;)

I've watched Dr Who very sporadically in the past, but now that my BF and his son are mad Dr Who fans, I've decided I should make more of an effort to watch it. I rather enjoyed the last episode (Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS) and I can't wait to watch Neil Gaiman's next episode, having enjoyed the last one he wrote.

I went to a local Ironfest recently where everyone dresses up—pretty much anything goes. There's war reenactments, sci-fi, steampunk (my favourite!) etc. Anyway, they were raffling off a life-sized TARDIS, and there was a large robot-like Dalek, as well as a few dashing young men dressed up as David Tennant's Dr. :)

I was confused too! What was with the monsters, where did they come from? In general, I have been really disappointed with this new series and I would rather watch 'Dr Who' with Rory and Amy than Clara.

That's what I was thinking. But then when they were on the bridge and he was talking about not touching each other etc and those two guys merged I realised what they were.

I know! But BBC One keeps changing the times. :( First few weeks it was 6pm, then 6:45 and last week 6:30. It's hard to keep up. :lol:

Ahh I see! I thought I heard the Dr say that it was Clara, but I could work out what the significance was. Also, do people think Clara is just a normal gorl, or something else? It seems weird that this idea keeps being repeated.

I don't think she is normal. I want to find out how she ended up as Oswin. I'm pretty sure she's one and the same. I said to my cousin last week, what if she is a timelord?! That would maybe explain the Oswin spaceship thing? But maybe she had some sort of time travelling accident and just goes by Clara and can't remember anything? That would be cool to finally have another timelord (other than River Song).

There are all sorts of rumours about who Clara is, but the one which make most sense to me is that she has been 'time split', maybe to help save the Doctor - apparently a baddie has been 'time spilt' before, there were 12 different instances of him through time!

It was a light hearted fun episode, and Mr Sweet made me laugh. I know it'll divide opinions, but I quite enjoyed it, and it's set up nicely for next week's, which I'm hoping will be a bit darker, and scary!

Thought it was great; witty in places, strax and co. are my favourite non-regular characters from the past few seasons, and next week's looks good as well. DW on a good run at the moment in my eyes.

Well, I really enjoyed Nightmare in Silver - there were a few things which annoyed me, but overall it was pretty good. Opinion seems to be very divided though.

There's a little prequel to next week's on YouTube which has got me even more interested - 

^ More of a trailer than a prequel, to my mind.

I quite enjoyed this weeks episode as well.  With expectation of a slightly lame ending, I think it is the first time in New Who that I have found the Cybermen to be at all threatening (or scary).

Yep, I agree. It does make me more curious though. There's also a cool trailer on the BBC DW website, which seems to back up the biggest theory / spoiler going around. If Moffat has done it well, it should be brill!

Not a bad episode at all, but that was the worst child acting I have ever seen! especially the boy, every line delivered in a flat monotone. I was actually laughing I couldn't believe how awful it was. The Doctor on the other was fantastic, one of Matt Smith's finest moments. 

The ending was a bit cheesy but I suppose that can be expected from Gaiman and Doctor Who. 

I'm not sure if I missed something but where did all the cybermen suddenly come from? and how could they suddenly move so fast?

I still feel like the series hasn't built up to anything, like the previous ones with 'Bad Wolf' and 'Vote Saxon' etc. But hopefully I will be surprised.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a480778/doctor-who-finale-the-name-of-the-doctor-leaked-in-us-error.html

Just heard the news that some lucky US Who fans will be watching the season finale as we speak. Apparently a shipping error meant that those who have ordered their Season 7 Part 2 box-sets have recieved them already - and thus the last episode. Unbelievably jealous but I hope to god nobody ruins it for me..

There's more information in the link above (no spoilers don't worry!). I'm not sure about the comment section though.. staying away from that.

Edited by Ben

Tim, I understood that there had been a long term war with the Cybermen, but they were pretty much unbeatable because they had learnt to constantly upgrade themselves. Someone had caused a massive explosion, causing the black hole, killing the Cybermen. The cyberman shell and the cybermats (the little insects) had stayed around, waiting for a new child's brain to restart the cyberplanner - instead of the children though, he decided the Doctor's was much better!

Sorry, probably as clear as mud - I know what I mean!  :lurker:  :blush2:

I got that they restarted a Cyberplanner or something, but I don't understand where the whole army came from, if they were already there how could no one have known about them?

I did actually enjoy the episode believe it or not!