Doctor Who

Michelle

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given all the location filming they do on Who, they wouldn't be able to keep this one quiet. 

Also, the BBC will want the whole world to be watching this one, so they will be shouting something like this from the roof tops.

Hey, I didn't say that my wishes were realistic! :D

In all fairness, there has been so little realeased about the anniversary - most of what I have read has been wild fan speculation (choose for yourself whether it's the fans or their specuation that's wild). I am looking forward to see what they do come up with, but I'm keeping my own speculation dulled so that I canot f guess nothing!

While I appreciate it's a BIG anniversary and David and Billie remain my favourites, I still sort of wish they wouldn't keep bringing people back.  I've got less enthusiasm than usual for the new episode tonight, but I always hope to go back to the heady heights of new series two, and I hope that since they are bringing back my favourite pairing, the story will justify it and fingers crossed for a cracking celebration.  Otherwise, for me, it will just tarnish the memories of their greatest adventures together.

Personally I would prefer to see Tennant and Tate again, rather than Piper, but Rose is the more popular of the two so I guess it is to be expected.

Thought tonight's episode was a pretty good opener. I think it could have done with a more memorable villain, but it cracked along at a reasonable pace and had some daft but amusing moments.

I'm delighted to hear to hear about BP and DT, always liked them both.

I thought tonight's episode was good. Nothing spectacular and it felt like we were easing ourselves in a little, but very daft and enjoyable. I also enjoyed the little nods to past episodes (the Fez, the book written by Amelia Williams and the jammie dodgers).

I also liked how the Great Intelligence seems to be set up as the main baddie this year rather than just being a nod to a past episode/series. Clara seems excellent and their chemistry is wonderful. I'm looking forward to seeing how the series progresses.

Edited by Ben

I thought the episode was quite good. Witticism and everything. I loved when he gave her jammie dodgers and everything. Clara seems like one of those people that can't sit still for more than 5 seconds. Always thinking or doing things. The bad guy wasn't all that impressive this episode and I thought it was too easy for the Dr to set things to rights.

I thought the episode was quite good. Witticism and everything. I loved when he gave her jammie dodgers and everything. Clara seems like one of those people that can't sit still for more than 5 seconds. Always thinking or doing things. The bad guy wasn't all that impressive this episode and I thought it was too easy for the Dr to set things to rights.

I think the nemesis being a little lacklustre was because the main 'bad guy' is going to be the Great Intelligence - guess it was more setting that up than anything.

• 3 weeks later...

I quite like Clara, but that may be more to do with my preferring Jenna-Louise Coleman to Karen Gillan. 

The sequence where she was arguing with the TARDIS on Saturday was well done, but I'm beginning to suspect that Steven Moffat can only create variations of the same basic female character.  There doesn't seem to be much to differentiate Amy, Clara, Sally Sparrow or Reinette (Madame de Pompadour); they are all feisty young women who tend to be a bit bolshie on occasion.  In fact, excepting the "young" comment, you could also apply the same to River Song as well.

As for the series so far, I think this week's episode has been the strongest so far.  The Cold War (the one with the Ice Warrior) was also good, but that fell down a bit when the warrior left his suit.  The other two have been watchable, but nothing that special. 

I'm looking forward to Neil Gaiman's episode.

So what do people think, so far?

Not enjoying much, to be honest. I don't like that there's a big back story for Clara, I wish we could just go back to having an ordinary human companion, and it's probably just me, but I don't feel like there's much depth to The Doctor's character at the moment. During more than one episode, I've found my mind wandering, and even felt my eyelids drooping a couple of times. But, hey, you know me - still pining for the tenth Doctor! :roll:

It has been going downhill ever since Russell T. Davies left, last good season was 5. I don't like that they keep changing the 'rules' to suit their story lines like a grumpy, petty Tardis which can fly :S He also uses his sonic screwdriver wayyy too much. Clara is OK, I don't hate her but she isn't winning me over like Amy did.

The Winter Warrior was the best so far in the season so far but even that was about average. Last weeks was good up until the very end which was completely unnecessary.

I also don't like the new opening credits, the music and visuals used to give me goosebumps it was so good, now it's just weird.

It has been going downhill ever since Russell T. Davies left, last good season was 5. I don't like that they keep changing the 'rules' to suit their story lines like a grumpy, petty Tardis which can fly :S He also uses his sonic screwdriver wayyy too much.

Agreed, although I'd go a bit further and say - for me - it's been going downhill ever since Blink (the success of which, imo, Moffatt has been living off ever since).  The whole show just seems to be an excuse for a lot of noise and running around now.  It has to be the loudest show on tv.  I'm obviously getting old <<mutter mutter>> :lol:

I also don't like the new opening credits, the music and visuals used to give me goosebumps it was so good, now it's just weird.

Agreed, again!

The Winter Warrior was the best so far in the season so far but even that was about average. Last weeks was good up until the very end which was completely unnecessary.

I musty have had a long day at work, I'd even Googled that before it clicked that you were talking about the Ice Warrior episode!

Agreed, although I'd go a bit further and say - for me - it's been going downhill ever since Blink (the success of which, imo, Moffatt has been living off ever since).

I wouldn't go that far.  I quite enjoyed series four and five and I really enjoyed The Christmas Carol, but series six was far too convoluted and the pay off wasn't worth it (I do want to watch this again, though as I've only seen it the once and I think it might be better on a repeat viewing). 

The first half of this series wasn't that bad, but it has been a little lack-lustre since it returned.  A few big episodes still to come (Gaiman's and the last episode which leads into the Anniversary special).

The last good episode/s were the Silence at the start of series 6, not felt the desire to re-watch any since then. I must of watched the first 5 at least 3 to 4 times.

I've also noticed with the new series there are no 'sub-companions' back on earth for them to go to, like Mickey or Jackie etc... Most of whom were great and gave the stories such heart. I know they are doing something with Clara's back story that may be why she doesn't have any family but they should have at least one person for them to go back to.. In series 5 it was Rory until he came along as well then they realised they didn't have anyone so suddenly put his Dad in...which didn't work particularly well.

Hopefully the end of the this series and the 50th anniversary will lift it up again cause if not I probably won't be watching anymore. Although why they haven't bought Jack back for the 50th is beyond me, he was ready and eager to do it but didn't get asked :S

Edited by Timstar

In the pub the other night, we discussed, deliberated and cogitated - and came to the conclusion that it's been going downhill since about halfway through Tom Baker's run  drunk.gif  :lol:

In the pub the other night, we discussed, deliberated and cogitated - and came to the conclusion that it's been going downhill since about halfway through Tom Baker's run  drunk.gif  :lol:

Very true... the new series can't compare. The Jon Pertwee years were my favourite, especially with the Brigadier.

I think the last episode that I saw that I thought was really good was The Girl Who Waited (although the last Christmas episode and Amy and Rory's departure episode were good as well).

I quite liked Rory's Dad, but he would have worked better if he had been in earlier episodes (like the wedding or stag party stories) as it would have given him more depth.

I've been re-watching a lot of the original series recently and have quite enjoyed re-watching a number of Tom Baker stories (Robots of Death, The Keeper of Traken, Logopolis etc).  I also watched Death to the Daleks for the first time in 20 years, and I'd have to say it was truly dreadful (definitely not Pertwee's best story!).

WRT John Barrowman not being in the 50th anniversary episode, I can't say I'm unhappy about that.  I do like Jack as a character (in Who, anyway) but popular though he is I don't think that means he should be back for this episode (and to be honest, the same goes for the other surviving Doctors as well).

I'm going to miss the episode tonight... possibly. It depends on if my cousin wants to watch it tonight. I've got to go to my Aunt's house. So no spoilers just in case! :lol:

Probably best to just stay out of the thread then! :lol:  Once it's been on, it's only fair that we want to discuss it :D

DW returning to form in the past couple of weeks for me. I've actually enjoyed this half-series more than most, but that's just me.. I'm very rarely really disappointed by an episode because I just watch it for some easy Saturday night telly, and I'm not too worried about comparisons to how good it used to be. Saying that, I thought Hide last week was great, and The Journey.. even better tonight - best episode since Gaiman's The Doctor's Wife in my opinion.

I was particularly impressed with the frantic exploration of the interior of the TARDIS. The swimming pool, the engine room, the 'machine that builds machine's' room, the hanging cliff, the Eye of Harmony, and of course the library ("that's just showing off"). I particularly liked how the Encyclopedia of Gallifrey was in liquid form - neat. The History of the Time War book was nicely done, and interesting that Clara read his name. Then conveniently forgot it.. or did she?

At first my only pitfall with this episode was the too convenient ending, with the big-reset-button escape. It still seems a bit too lame, but as a clever inside-joke, and something that was hinted at from the start with the burning on Clara's hand (coupled with the over-arcing 'remembering' theme throughout the series) I didn't think it ended up too badly. I also thought it was interesting that Clara was wet after the button-reset, suggesting that she'd just got out of the swimming pool. As she only saw the swimming pool during earlier events, and the picture of the brothers shown at the start had changed by the end, it seems possible to suggest that time hasn't actually been re-written. I'd bet Clara still knows The Doctor's true name.

All in all, then, at what first seemed like a slow start to this half-series by Moffat, I think is turning out quite nicely. There's a lot of interesting ideas he's playing around with here in building to the finale and to the anniversary episode.. the 'naming' of course (which I don't think we'll actually ever find out - any name would be a disappointment), the shards of the TARDIS (we've had it 'exploding' at a number of different moments in time now.. perhaps there's something there), the revealing of who Clara really is (interesting after what we found out this week), and of course the ideas of memory and remembering.

I've regained some enthusiasm this season after the past few episodes and I think Moffat's got something great up his sleeve.