Doctor Who

Michelle

Is no-one watching? Or just nothing to say?! ;)

I have to say, as sad as it sounds, I was READY for a new series, it had been too long, and I was missing it! :lurker:

Anyway, so far so good. I've found both episodes to have some good humour, in with some darker themes. It was very interesting to see the Doctor send a man to his death at the end of the 2nd episode, plus he keeps looking at the Ponds as if he knows what's coming. :(

I also know quite a few people moaned that we had daleks again in the 1st episode, but I happen to like it, and I thought it was a clever twist on it all.

So... anyone else?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen them both and didn't think much of either to be honest. I don't see enough of The Doctor I thought I knew from previous series, and I don't like the dropping off and picking up of Amy and Rory all the time. If you travel with The Doctor, that's it, you don't pop off for an adventure every now and again when it suits him. I initially liked Matt Smith, but he hasn't completely won me over, and I suspect that might be something to do with the characterisation.

I also don't like that we only get 5 episodes now, a Christmas Special, then the rest of the series next year.

Having said that, it's still better than most of the drama on television, and I'll still keep watching, hoping for something much better each week, but I've not seen anything to compare with the best of the Christopher Eccleston or David Tennant years.

I think both have had their moments but neither has been very coherent.

I get the impression the writer's meetings go something like this:

"What about dinosaurs?"

"Needs something more . . ."

"On a space ship?!!"

"Great!!! Someone write that up; don't forget the comedy robots and throw in an Egyptian Queen and a big game hunter whilst you are at it!"

I think Matt Smith is a great Doctor, very good at being both serious and daft, but I think the writers have been taking things a little too far recently with the latter.

Also, please can we have a Dalek story with plotting, evil-minded pepper pots trying to take over a planet or the universe again? I'm getting fed up of them being as dumb as a sack of hammers . . .

To be honest, I think Doctor Who has gotten to the point where so much is expected, and there's always someone who doesn't like it. The last series was so heavy on the overall story arc, and some people complained about that - now we have more separate stories, and there are still people unhappy. :)

From what I've read, the idea of him popping in and out of the Pond's life is deliberate, and it's something Moffat wanted to explore - he said companions usually suddenly go, and he wanted to look at what else can happen. This will only be for these 5 episodes, and then we should be back to the idea of a constant companion again.

Claire, I do agree that Matt's Doctor seems a little different to what I expected. As a HUGE Tennant fan, I spent Matt's first series really disliking him.. then he won me over.. but now I'm not so sure again. I've learnt to just go with it though. And, as much as I like Rory, Amy annoys me often, so I don't think I'll be too upset when she's gone.

All said though, it's still the highlight of my Sat!

I think this series so far has been a lot better than the last in my opinion. The on going story in the last series was fine, but the fun for me was sucked out of it a bit. This series so far has regained it's mojo and I'm looking forward to watching more.

To be honest, I think Doctor Who has gotten to the point where so much is expected, and there's always someone who doesn't like it.

That'll be me :lol: Although, to be fair, I've never really understood the fuss, even since the Jon Pertwee days, which was when I first saw it.

I actually gave up on it at the halfway point of the last season. I suppose I need to watch the rest of those before watching this series . . .

I actually gave up on it at the halfway point of the last season. I suppose I need to watch the rest of those before watching this series . . .

We almost did the same, but the second half ended up being pretty good, and I enjoyed most of the autumn stories compared to few of the ones in the spring series.

I think Matt Smith is amazing, I think Doctor Who is incredible full stop. I really hope they kill off Amy and/or Rory, because it's about time that the people in charge did something that people don't expect. I've been absolutely enthralled by both episodes so far and will watch the rest with eager anticipation. I hope Moffat doesn't chicken out.

I also prefer the story-arc compared to the so-called 'block-buster single episodes'.. but that's probably just me.

I've loved both episodes so far, even including the comedy robots that have come in for some critism. (my only comment was they were a little derivative of Fifth Element).

I really hope they kill off Amy and/or Rory, because it's about time that the people in charge did something that people don't expect.

Noooo! :o

I actually like that 'Dr Who' doesn't have a single, female companion. Rory and Amy have brought a different dynamic to the programme.

I've only seen the first episode and i will be watching the second as soon as i get a chance too. I absolutly loved the Darleks, i loved them in the old episodes and i really enjoyed them again. I've really warmed to the Amy and Rory partnership and i will miss them when they go!

I am enjoying the series so far, massive improvement over the terrible series 6 which nearly put me off watching any more, which for a life-long Dr Who fan is saying something.

I like the single episodes as oppose to the overall story-arc, but the best was when they combined both as in the first few series. I also like the Amy and Rory dynamic but wish they would make up their mind with what their doing with their stories, however it is a refreshing break to the awkward sexual tension with the female companion.

The first episode was surprisingly good for a series opener and the second I thought was a bit of a missed opportunity due to the lack of the story being centred around dinosaurs. Although the ending was great!

Looking forward to the gunslinging Doctor on Saturday.

I am enjoying the series so far, massive improvement over the terrible series 6 which nearly put me off watching any more, which for a life-long Dr Who fan is saying something.

I don't know, I've heard quite a few life-long fans say that since the show returned in 2005!

Looking forward to the gunslinging Doctor on Saturday.

As am I. I think this looks to be the most promising episode of this block (and it's got Farscape/Stargate's Ben Browder in it!).

I've just finished watching this week's episode and it was my favourite so far in this series. However, I did think that it was concluded a bit too abruptly.

Can't wait for the return of 'The Weeping Angels' next week. The episode 'Blink' in Series 3 is probably in my top 5 episodes, so I'm looking forward to seeing this.

I did enjoy this week's, but the idea of reviving people that long after a cardiac arrest and them being fine was a bit silly!

Yes, it was a bit silly, but with 'Dr Who' you have to leave all logic behind and just enjoy the fun :smile:

Best episode this series so far! but I do agree that it ended far too abruptly and I don't think it was very clear who the bad guys were or why they were doing it.

Next weeks could be good...Angels are great but I they have already been used twice now so I hope they do something original, but River Song is the worst character ever and everything she does makes me cringe and want to slap her! Her story line makes no sense and they have clearly been making it up as they go.

Edited by Timstar

And the 2013 Hugo award goes to . . .

I liked tonight's episode, I thought it was a good and original companion departure episode and my inner geek was especially pleased by the payoff to the first Matt Smith episode where Amelia was seen sitting in the garden, hearing the TARDIS, with no explanation.

Happy to see Amy and Rory go, but equally happy that they had a good send off after four mediocre episodes so far this series.

And the 2013 Hugo award goes to . . .

I liked tonight's episode, I thought it was a good and original companion departure episode and my inner geek was especially pleased by the payoff to the first Matt Smith episode where Amelia was seen sitting in the garden, hearing the TARDIS, with no explanation.

I also thought this was a great, but still sad, way to say farewell to Amy and Rory. I also liked the surprise element to how they both went, because I thought that Amy and Rory were safe from the Angels.

It's a little off topic, but did any one else think that this series was shorter than the others? There didn't seem to be as many episodes as usual. This series was certainly better than the last one in my opinion.