Strictly Come Dancing 2012

Raven

Exciting .. who will go to Wembley? I hate Wembley .. or I did last year, it's not a patch on Blackpool is it?

Fingers crossed that Michael will do well, salsa is so difficult for the older male celebs - though Ramps was sensational - Michael is not Ramps though :(

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate Wembley too. The sound is poor in the arena, the floor is way too big especially when they keep going to wide shots while the couples are dancing as we can't see anything, and they go way over the top with props, gimmicks and generally anything to detract from the actual dance :irked: I know that they do it because their normal studio is used by Children In Need, and the other studio is smaller, so it means an smaller dancefloor, and I know they sell tickets for the Wembley "spectacular" to raise money for Children In Need, but I think the only people who enjoy it are the people at Wembley.

Still, I'm looking forward to tonight, no Bruce and extra Claudia! Kay, you'll be pleased to know Nat has totally won me over now, and she's one of my favourites, so I've got my fingers crossed for her & Michael. So much for no theme week meaning "pure" dancing - looking at the photos from dress rehearsal, there's more stage sets than Hallowe'en, something else I can't stand.

Despite all that, it's still my favourite programme, and the thing I look forward to all week during the series :roll:

I hate Wembley too. The sound is poor in the arena, the floor is way too big especially when they keep going to wide shots while the couples are dancing as we can't see anything, and they go way over the top with props, gimmicks and generally anything to detract from the actual dance :irked:

Agree with all of what you've said .. it seems to have no atmosphere and the dances get lost.

I know that they do it because their normal studio is used by Children In Need, and the other studio is smaller, so it means an smaller dancefloor, and I know they sell tickets for the Wembley "spectacular" to raise money for Children In Need, but I think the only people who enjoy it are the people at Wembley.

Well all in a good cause I guess .. I hope the people that go do enjoy it. I would be made up to get tickets for the normal studio (we should try and go Claire :D) but not that pleased to get tickets for Wembley .. though the celebs all seem to be looking forward to it .. but then they would say that. I suppose to dance there is a great achievement.

Still, I'm looking forward to tonight, no Bruce and extra Claudia!

A night off from Bruce .. yay!! (a night off from the jokes .. that's what I'm looking forward to). I should by rights be watching it now but got in late and so have taped it .. I have to watch it from the beginning .. I can't be jumping in part the way through :D.

Kay, you'll be pleased to know Nat has totally won me over now, and she's one of my favourites, so I've got my fingers crossed for her & Michael.

Yay!! I'm very pleased to hear it. Along with Flavia she's my favourite but I have to back Flav because .. with the best will in the world .. Michael can't win can he? :o

So much for no theme week meaning "pure" dancing - looking at the photos from dress rehearsal, there's more stage sets than Hallowe'en, something else I can't stand.

Theme weeks and props .. for the most part I hate them :no:

Despite all that, it's still my favourite programme, and the thing I look forward to all week during the series :roll:

Me too .. I am liking Masterchef as well but it's not as much fun as Strictly .. I am dying to know how they're all doing :lurker:

That was good wasn't it? The only dance I didn't like was Richard's .. not a patch on the last 'Pencil Full of Lead' charleston seen on Strictly anyway. Ok Michael wasn't brilliant .. but his little hips bless him .. they did move and weren't at all bad. Fern's outfit this week was much better and she gave it a good go I thought .. not bad at all. Craig appears to have been sucking on a lemon .. I think he hurt Flavia a bit with his criticism so that annoyed me .. weird score for Louis but then no damage done as other judges made up for him. Hate it when the judges start yelling though .. poor Darcey .. a rose between thorns.

Lovely costumes, wardrobe lady was in a good mood this week. Don't like seeing Dani's tattoo's though .. distracting and not classy .. can't they use concealer? Wasn't sure about her tango to begin but it got sharp and feisty and I ended up loving it.

Mark Ramps was there :) No Bruce and it was all the better for it .. though he may have got control of the toddlers earlier than Tess managed.

Ouch .. well I didn't see that coming at all. I'm not too surprised by Fern although that was the best I've seen from her but poor Kimberley .. that's a shocker and horrible for her too because she must have come last or very near it in the public vote. That may be it for her or it may be another Ali Bastian/Matt DiAngelo/Ricky Whittle situation .. all in dance-offs and all making finals (or semi's to be absolutely correct with Ali but she came third anyway). Either she has no vote or her usual voters voted for others perceiving they may be in danger. Thought Kimberley looked as if she knew before the result was called, perhaps no-one would meet her eye though. I am very happy Michael is safe but can't quite get the Richard love .. thought the dance was flat footed and a bit embarrassing .. and I don't like Erin's latin much anyway. I've heard rumours that Kimberley has a jive next week .. oh dear, poor girl hasn't she suffered enough :D and at Wembley too.

No offence to either hostess of no-Bruce week, but I didn't enjoy it as much as with one-of-each hosting.

Difficult enough to get the lads interested in dancing - e.g. this topic ... we're all gals! - but having the job done by women gives the show more of a "girlie" front, and that seems a shame, to me.

O.K. - I'm ready to duck! :smile:

Lol :D.. all opinions welcome, we each have our own likes/dislikes. With Bruce, It's probably the jokes that do me in, especially if they're about the contestants (cringe cringe and then on to the cringey VT .. unless it's a proper training one).

Steve does sometimes join us .. I'm not sure if he is a man though .. it might depend on phases of the moon and stuff like that. I've always thought it's possible that they created him in a laboratory ;) It's funny that more men don't like it because all the flesh on show .. gorgeous toned flesh at that .. would usually be an attraction for them. My hubby isn't that bothered, he watches once in a blue moon but I think his favourite is Flavia although he may have just learned what the right responses to any given question are :giggle2:

I don't like Wembley week, I'll be glad when it's passed. I think they should give us the opportunity to see all the routines in the normal studio (a red button option) .. not necessarily for voting but the following week or something.

Poor Kimble has the Samba ... they had to go and rub salt in the wound :D

Steve does sometimes join us .. I'm not sure if he is a man though .. it might depend on phases of the moon and stuff like that. I've always thought it's possible that they created him in a laboratory ;)

:giggle2:

It's funny that more men don't like it because all the flesh on show .. gorgeous toned flesh at that .. would usually be an attraction for them.

It's the only attraction :giggle2:

I might have to vote this week - can't have Kimble being in the bottom two again - she hasn't found the one-armed man yet! ninja.gif

That is hilarious .. actually that's just how I envisaged him from the book :D only taller.

It's the only attraction :giggle2:

You mean you're not interested in seeing Vincent's botafogo's? :D

I might have to vote this week - can't have Kimble being in the bottom two again - she hasn't found the one-armed man yet! ninja.gif

Aww yes, throw a vote Kimbles way .. I will too (I never learn, every year I repeat the mantra waste of money, waste of money, whenever I see my post Strictly phone bill but there always comes a time when I panic and think oh no .. I don't want them to go home yet. I'm sure my one vote will make ALL the difference :D). Kimble will never find the one-armed man .. she's too young to know about it .. I'm almost to young to know .. but alas not quite :( and I can't botafogo either .. life sucks.

Nicky looked good in rehearsals, that will be a bit of a turn up for the books if he gets it right on Saturday night .. alas though, I have jinxed him :D

Lol, my cringe gland is working overtime :blush2: Wembley week was worse than I expected and on the whole disappointing. I thought Nicky's jive was looking good in training but on the night it looked a bit of a mess, he got the flavour of it but it wasn't as sharp as it might have been. Richard is now trying my patience, even the addition of men dancing in their underpants couldn't elevate it to anything other than dire. Victoria on her bike and Brendan flailing his cape around valliantly (poor Brendan :D what a prop to be saddled with for a paso. All the time his eyes were saying 'just kill me now'). The rest of the dance wasn't that good, no lovely shaping just mainly stomping and weird leaping. What a song to be saddled with as well. There was something not quite setting me alight with Louis and Flavia too .. I love Flav but I think she got the choreography wrong (but again .. the music is not what you'd want for an American Smooth .. one of the judges mentioned Fred & Ginger but how can you do a Fred & Ginger to 'I've Got a Woman'?) I normally like Lisa but I wasn't overwhelmed (might just be the terrible camerawork and stadium .. I prefer the studio and would have loved to see Victoria whizzing over the heads of the TV studio audience and maybe taking Chezza's wig off :D) I was touched though by her obvious delight in being there and performing. Denise & James' charleston was technically brilliant .. once again odd music but they made it work .. I didn't think it had enough charleston humour in though but her swivels etc .. second to none. Michael and Natalie I love and I love how he is taking it so seriously now and improving .. they could go a lot further and how fab would that be? A better American Smooth than Louis and Flav and I never would have thought that a few weeks ago. Dani and Vincent are just the cutest, I hated the camerawork which kept panning away, but they looked great and zipped about with energy.

Loved nimble Kimble also, I hate the samba and have hardly ever seen a good one but she looked great, moved great and did it with conviction and a party atmosphere. Was annoyed at the camera panning out when she did the slide though. She looked the biz too and I did give her a few votes .. hope they make the diff because I can't cope with Richard staying and Kimberley going (which theoretically could happen though not if they're in the dance-off together). Anyway I can't go throwing my money about, if she's in the d/o again and survives then I won't be voting next time .. it's sink or swim Kimberley.

Wardrobe should be shot and so should the singers, tonights singing was worse than ever and the costume dept managed to make Flavia look a mess (which should be punishable by law .. I didn't think it was even possible). Victoria's outfit was just bizarre but the most heinous of all was Robin's (with Lisa's not far behind). Kimberley looked the nicest I thought (though my partiality for her and her all round niceness is probably colouring my view). Also liked Natalie's outfit .. very graceful and Hollywood.

I don't know why I like ole Kimble, I think it's because she's just plain nice. I don't like GA much though, we're being treated to their new single tomorrow on the results show and I'm distinctly underwhelmed by the thought. Some of them are alright, it's a bit like The Spice Girls .. a 50/50 split (one of them obviously has to be halved :D)

All the same, it's Louis that I want to do well, I hope he can catch fire again.

I found it really difficult to watch last night, as the production from Wembley is just not good enough. I'm sure it's great for everyone in the arena, but for viewers at home, the venue just looks too big, there's no connection between the music and the dancing, and the choice of camera shots from the director to include wide panning shots of a floor with some many lighting effects it's hard to pick out the tiny dancers on it, let alone the close ups where you can't see the footwork (although that last complaint is a general one for the show, not just limited to Wembley). The sound is poor for the viewer at home, I hated all the extra dancers they roped in this year, and yet another theme where the music doesn't match the dances.

On the plus side, the two dances where it worked best, were Dani & Vincent and Michael & Natalie, by far my two favourite dances of the week. Everyone else was a least favourite, but I'm almost sure that was down to the reasons above, and not the celebrities themselves. I follow someone on twitter who was at Wembley itself, and she said Louis & Flavia were wonderful (and she's not been his biggest fan so far) and that they were grossly undermarked, so again, perhaps it worked better in the arena than it did on television.

I've been having a look at various forums, including ones on the BBC website, and that overwhelming majority of people who comment, say pretty much the same as our complaints about the Wembley show. It's odd, because when they broadcast from Blackpool, it seems to work much better, but I think they just don't seem to be able to scale that up another notch to Wembley. If it was up to me, I'd consider taking a week off for Children In Need week when they don't have the studio, and coming back the next week and start the couples off on two dances a week, even if it was only something like the Swing-a-thon or a proper group dance for the first week, if it meant they would run out of dances, although that would be unlikely, as last year all the celebrities who made it to the final had one dance they didn't do because they didn't schedule the two dances each week into the series earlier enough, so I can't see that would be a problem.

Dani & Vincent, Mchael & Natalie, Kimble & Pasta - winners. The rest were a waste of time. Wembley's a horrible venue to watch it (speaking from personal experience!) and it's even worse on tv. Wish Louis would learn a new expression!

I follow someone on twitter who was at Wembley itself, and she said Louis & Flavia were wonderful (and she's not been his biggest fan so far) and that they were grossly undermarked, so again, perhaps it worked better in the arena than it did on television.

Interesting, but not surprising because the camerawork was terrible, you never got the feeling you'd seen the whole dance. Apart from perhaps the charleston and that's because they, more or less, stayed in the same spot. Perhaps it all came across differently but then the judges seemed to view it as we did for the most part. If they do any other sort of theme night, prop night, bringing in a dog night or sticking someone on a bike night then I'm turning off :D

Wish Louis would learn a new expression!

He's my favourite (to nick some doddery old fellow's catchphrase .. he's got too many to miss it ;)) but I do know exactly what you mean.

What rotters they were to leave Kimberley until last but yay!! my three votes made all the difference. At last Richard has gone, nice man and all that but he can't dance .. or not to the standard required in week eight anyway. Very glad Michael & Louis are also through :) I wonder what next week will bring?

It was mean to leave her to last, wasn't it? Completely surprised to see Nicky in the bottom two, as I felt for sure that the Westlife fans would keep him in for weeks to come yet. Delighted to see Michael and Dani get called out early, and heart was pounding for Flavia but safe for another week.

Thank goodness we'll be back at Television Centre next week, and so far, I think Michael & Natalie have Argentine tango and Lisa & Robin have rumba, but that was based on a hint Lisa put on twitter, so could be wrong.

I am becoming slightly obssessed with Louis to the point I had to look him up on wiki to check how old he is as I thought I might be old enough to be his mother (i'm not, but only just) I just love how composed he is for someone so young

Really enjoyed Denise's dance this week was a little disappointed with Lisa's but I love seeing how much she is enjoying it (unlike someone else who just looks like they are going through the motions and nothing more cough Victoria cough)

I wish I could enjoy SCD more but unfortunately "Good Old Bruce" has me leaving the room everytime he starts twittering on and this quite often results in me missing some of the dances :-(

Yes, recording is best .. it's less tense as well. You can fast forward through Brucie and through the judges if they start arguing. Also the training VT's .. not if they're actually training VT's but when they're pretending training video's with them acting.

It's difficult with Lisa, I love her and all that but she is getting off a little lightly with the judges. I totally understand why, it's difficult to judge her to the same standard as the rest because obviously her size means that she can't do some of the more intricate moves .. (and they can't exactly say it .. I've said it and I already feel bad) the samba rolls for instance were probably a no-no from the start and, as she said, it's hard for them to create proper gap because of her having so much .. front luggage :D Having said that she can really shake it down, there's no lack of energy with her and her enjoyment in it and will to improve are brilliant. I love Robin too, he's been such a sweetheart with her .. no offence to the rest but apart from Anton who doesn't seem to mind who he dances with (he's got no option really has he? :D) it would have been a poor experience for her with some of the others (mentioning no names .. James :D) If she does have a rumba this week I can see it being a problem.

Victoria has worn me down, I feel like Brendan, I've lost the will to care. I think she will have ballroom so expect her to improve on last week, but she's not getting anywhere really and Brendan is looking like another week in training might kill him (where's all his enthusiasm gone?).

Louis is my fave and I hope he can pick up. He's had a knock and he showed that on Sunday when he said it almost drove him to drink tears. I don't know why Craig is so harsh on him (yet he was less so on Sat). You feel like he just needs a tiny push to fully ignite .. hope he gets it. I've heard he's doing a paso .. will suit him and Flav down to the ground.

An ATango for Michael is a tough ask, it's so intricate. Maybe it's a little easier on the man than the lady .. certainly all eyes are drawn to the lady (apart from Ramps .. not even Karen could draw the eye from him.) Natalie is a brilliant teacher and they are a good partnership, he seems to be relishing getting into character so it could be very good indeed or it might be iffy, it won't be lack lustre though I'm sure.

I'm expecting Kimberley to have a ballroom and if it's a waltz then I think it could be curtains, it's hard to get the wow factor in a waltz and she already failed (though NOT with me I hasten to add :D) to do that with her VW (Beetle? :D) .. she could possibly do with the ATango too though again, not sure if her footwork is intricate enough (and nowhere to hide .. eyes would definitely be on her .. though Pasha does draw the eye a bit :giggle:)

Nicky has got the charleston and if there's a dance to suit him I would think that's it. He's quite good at being a showman (and Richard's showed that you don't have to do much to be appreciated.) I thought Nicky was at his best on theme nights so getting into a character will probably be good for him. Perhaps his voters and Kim's are one and the same so it'll be bounce-back week for Nicky and so long Nimble Kimble most probably :cry2: (could I ask for a refund do you think?)

Denise is good but I can't warm .. mostly because I never have, she's too good as well, if there is such a thing and I'm holding it against her (even though I never did with Kara) because I'm unreasonable and because she's naffed me off over the years. The added factor of James doesn't help.

Dani :) she's so good and such an all rounder .. I don't think it matters what dance she gets, she'll be marvellous and give it 100%. Her partnership with Vincent is great too.

It's not inconceivable that Vincent and Flav could contest the glitterball, I'm not ruling out Denise - the judges will always save her after all but when left solely to the public I think she might come third. I hear Vincent and Flav have saved their ATango's incase they do get there (that will be disappointing if they don't then .. I didn't even know they had the power to do that.) Anyway that would be brilliant, a tango showdown.

I've written too much again, sorry and sorry if I've rubbished your fave. I couldn't do it so hats off to all of them. Once I start on the subject (any subject that is) I can't stop .. I've only just finished yakking it over with Mum :D

recording it would be an excellent idea but alas I have no means of recording (we have one of those old fashioned sky- boxes and no vcr) I could try it on the iplayer but would have to suffer the buffering. Buffering or Bruce which is worse ?

Thanks for the low down on all the dances I don't know how you manage to follow it so closely I just watch and dance and think a) I liked it b) I didn't like it and of course I know who my favs are. Louis, Denise, Lisa, Pasha, Nicky (in that order) also Matthew Cutler and Darren Bennett :giggle:. Oh and Bruno. And Claudia.

Re Robin and Lisa I do feel he kisses her too much (obviously not a bad thing) but I always think he is trying to show people that he doesn't care about what she looks like and has ended up slightly overdoing it, also with the lifting her after the dance. I feel bad for saying it as I do like both of them and they are obviously getting on and enjoying themselves.

Well, I'm going to brave everyone's rotten eggs and say - I'm sorry Richard has gone. Maybe he wasn't a championship dancer, but he was certainly a showman and entertainer, and "Strictly" is also about encouraging everybody to have- a-go.

Lisa (gold stars to her) will probably be next, as the pressure for the trophy is really on,now.

I think it was probably Richard's time to go, but I'm sorry to lose him too - he was great fun, fantastic with backstage photos on Twitter, and engaged with people who tweeted him, as well as loving the whole experience, and I'd rather have someone who loves it completely and is not technically great, than someone who is technically good but doesn't seem to enjoy the whole process.

Well, I'm going to brave everyone's rotten eggs and say - I'm sorry Richard has gone. Maybe he wasn't a championship dancer, but he was certainly a showman and entertainer, and "Strictly" is also about encouraging everybody to have- a-go.

My heart sank when I saw Richard was on the show. I've only seen bits of him (years ago when my kids were little) on GMTV and he got on my nerves - but I really liked him on Strictly - he's gone up in my estimation! I was sorry to see him go but I think his time is right.

Denise irritates me too, Kay - but then I'm not keen on James either.

Michael to win! :D

ETA: Peter and I both love Strictly but we haven't seen many of them all the way through as we're usually out doing singing stuff on a Saturday night. We love It Takes Two too!

Edited by Janet

My heart sank when I saw Richard was on the show. I've only seen bits of him (years ago when my kids were little) on GMTV and he got on my nerves - but I really liked him on Strictly - he's gone up in my estimation! I was sorry to see him go but I think his time is right.

I quite liked him as a person, I didn't like his dancing much though and I wasn't sure if Erin liked him being so touchy feely but I'm guessing she did because she seems the sort that would say otherwise.

Denise irritates me too, Kay - but then I'm not keen on James either.

Oh I much prefer Denise to James :D

Michael to win! :D

and why not .. t'would be lovely .. though I really do want Louis .. as it stands :D

Brendan looks like he's had enough of Pendles. Can't say I blame him! :rolleyes:

Such a change in him and you wonder why because, even with Jo Wood (and knowing it was futile) he stayed upbeat. It's maybe something to do with his wife expecting imminently but I think Victoria is difficult, it's a bit like looking after a child (and so he should be glad of the practice :D) she's quite needy but also quite headstrong. I thought their interview tonight on ITT was a bit weird, it seemed as if the salsa was going ok (by the looks of it) but there was a lot of negativity about it and they weren't really engaging with each other. I guess we'll know eventually, Victoria will tell us.

I'm expecting them to do ok actually. I think everyone is looking good so far in training .. should be the best one yet.

.. I forgot about Lisa's rumba .. I'm thinking that might not go well.

Edited by poppyshake