1. 1. How many books do you read at a time

• One
    • Two
    • Three +

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just can't help reading a few at a time. When I go to the library i like to pick out a selection to meet my varying moods.In the morning when i'm eating my breakfast I like something easy, short and humorous to read, whereas at night I opt for something light-hearted yet not so humorous, and then i have a novel for when i feel like dipping into it.

• 2 months later...

I read 4-5 books at a time.

A biography, a history book of some kind, a light novel and a serious one (usually, a classic), and I always keep a really dull book on my night table so I don't stay awake all night reading. 'Time in History' by G. J. Whitrow is an unfailing sleep-inducer! :D

I am currently reading

Vampire Academy series,

Women of the underworld series,

Men of the underworld Series,

Undead Series....

at the same time, because they library keeps taking its time getting the next book in the series lol.

I read many books at the time, I now it's not the best way since you

can easily forget the storyline, but for my books at least, I never forget.

So, demanding on my schedule, the number of books passed from 3 to 6.

I'm happily suffering from insomnia, so it's easier to just read at night to pass time.

totally agree....i have a habit of staying up real late and reading, then lots of complaining when i have to get up early for work the next day lol.:D

• 1 month later...

I try to read one at a time, but I'm usually reading two at a time. I was literally reading two books at a time before: I had both Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (reread) and Twilight in front of me and I was switching from book to book.

I read two at a time because it tends to help me get through books quicker. If I really want to get through books, I don't let myself read any more of book-A until I've read X-amount of chapters in book-B. :lol:

I drive my wife mad as I often have a book in every room. I will sit down and pick up where I left off. I never have trouble mixing up plots. But they will not usually all be the same type of book anyway (ie not all fiction).

I usually have at least two (fiction and non generally) but sometimes my OH and me (should that be I?) read books to each other ... short stories usually, though we did read the last two Harry Potters to each other .. and it was awful with the last one because I was so tempted to just read it when he was at work.

I listen to a lot of audiobooks too so I usually have at least one of those on the go.

I used to be a one book person, but my reading has picked up a lot over the last year, and now I tend to have at least two books on the go - the one on my bedside table will be something light, but definitely a re-read, and if I'm reading a hardback for my other book, it won't fit in my bag to take to work, so I'll also probably have a paperback going as well!

Currently just one at the time, but usually two or something. I only pick up the second book if the first isn't going quick enough, I can't keep my head to it (say, when I am tired) or I have suddenly this strong urge to read another book. Usually then one of the two is a re-read.. I never get plots mixed up, have no trouble there. However, currently the book I am reading is keeping me happy, so no need to pick up another.:lol:

Currently just one at the time, but usually two or something. I only pick up the second book if the first isn't going quick enough, I can't keep my head to it (say, when I am tired) or I have suddenly this strong urge to read another book.

I agree with all of this, although my second book is usually new, not a re-read.

I used to always read one book at a time, but I find that I have so many on my TBR pile now, and I'm so anxious about getting to them all that I often start a second book, or at least choose a few as my next potential read.

Generally two on the go at once. Stops me getting bogged down. If I feel tired of one I can switch to the other. Usually a doorstop style affair and a more portable one I can keep in my handbag to grab a few minutes on my lunch break with.

And then a manga and a magazine on the coffee table to dip into while the dinner is cooking!

• 1 month later...

I have always just read one book at a time, and sat through it through hell and high water before even thinking of starting a different one.

Now however, I have 1 waiting to be read that I am dying to start on; but I am of the mindset that I should finish the one I am currently reading (which is huge and will take weeks) first, but there is a little man on my shoulder whispering into my ear 'oh go on start the other one as well'.

Does anyone else read 2 books at a time (for pleasure)? I need someone to convince me that this is an ok thing to do without it feeling slightly wrong. :D

not good at this search thing am I

Edited by Johnny Carson Whit

I could never read 2 books at a time, i would find it too confusing to differentiate between the characters and plots of two separate books.Even if a book is a 1000 pages long and i only read a chapter a day i will still take my time and enjoy each page at my own pace.

For me, that is what makes reading so enjoyable- taking a few minutes or a few hours engrossed in the plot of a good book. I am constantly surprised by the pace at which people here read at- almost every second post is "i read 100 pages of......today i read 120 pages of....". Its not a race for me and, like eating your food really fast, i think you can miss some subtle references and enjoy the book less when you 'speed read'.

For example, i am currently reading Duma Key and am a third of the way through but may nor get to read any more until tuesday but thats fine with me, I have over a hundred books on my TBR list and God only knows when im going to get throiugh then but the main point is that i enjoy the tone, setting and characters of each individual book for what they are and what the author originally intended, and not to see them as a list of chores to get through as fast as possible so i can move on to the next one.

SO ii guess my long winded answer is no, i dont read 2 books at the same time!!:D