• One
    • Two
    • Three +

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Three at most, but then I tend to keep them in different formats and genres. For example I can read a fantasy book and Kindle and a slice-of-life paperback. And with those I can take up a light novel to re-read if I really have too much free time.

• 1 month later...

Usually 2 - I find more a bit confusing, and I get frustrated by not making great progress in any of them.

Normally I try to make them different types for a change of pace. Currently though it's 2 historical novels of different time periods One Tudor, and one Scottish, which are still a "change" - so I haven't strayed too far from my principals :smile:

i usually have at least 3 going at once. i like to think of it as cross-pollination.

for those that doubt the merits of this, behold, Kim Kardashian + Kierkegaard = When love awakens, it is older than everything else. Hold on to classic pieces. You never know when they will make a comeback. @KimKierkegaard

doesn't get better'n this

• 7 months later...

I don't think I will ever do this, I never have and probably never will.

I feel that I couldn't concentrate on more than one book at a time, I would rather focus on one book and then go onto another. I'm going to start reading when on the bus, or maybe in a park when nice weather on a bench... but still only one book at a time?

Do you read more than one book at a time, how do you do it?

Edited by Michelle
merged with existing thread

I had to force myself to stop doing this, because I would sometimes have five or more on the go at one time. I don't find it difficult, any more than keeping up with more than one TV series. I generally do have a couple of more 'dry' art history or scholarly books that I will dip into, but carry on reading novels at the same time to liven things up a bit! I'm currently ploughing through an enormous book on Dutch golden age art, but there's no way I can concentrate on that exclusively. Also it's too big to carry around with me... ;) 

When I was in school I often had to read several books at once, ie. one for Dutch class, one for English class and one for fun. I was so glad when that was all over! It confused me quite a bit. For a long time I read one book at a time. Lately, I've been trying to read two books at once (when I did the read-a-thon, three), because when I travel it's easy to take either a small short paperback or my Kindle rather than a big heavy book, but I do want to read the bigger books too. It's actually going quite well! I didn't expect that.

For quite some time now, I've had more than 2-3 books going on at once.

Right now, I have 7: Lolita, The great Gatsby, Inferno, an old Nancy Drew from when I was a kid, a Camilla Läckberg novel, Seinlanguage, a Swedish book called People who it's been sad for.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't realize there were quite a few book hoppers like me - I have about three going at the moment, The Pickwick Papers (Dickens), The Ninth Girl (Tami Hoag), The Dying Hours (Mark Billingham) - maybe should try to stick with one at a time.   :blush2:

• 1 month later...

I can only read one seriously, which I'd call my 'real' current reading book. This particular book will usually get read about... 25-50 pages a day depending. Then my fiancee and I have a copy each of a book which we'll read together at bedtime, so we can discuss it better etc, as she doesn't get to read much these days with the baby and all. This book will be read around 25-50 pages a week. I tend to read the introductions and stuff, maybe the first couple of pages of books I'm intending to read after I finish my current one. This isn't consistent though.

I also just read one book at a time.

But I'm very strict when I don't like a book and will sometimes abandon books after a few chapters, when I can't get into it, to read something else first. Often, I'll re-try them at some point.

But seriously reading several at the same time never crossed my mind. I have a hard enough time to keep all the character names straight in one book, several would be just too much.

• 4 weeks later...

I could never read 2 books at once. Much less 3 lol, how can readers do it? I mean, enjoyment-wise, do you really get the same kind of thrill from individual novels as you would just reading 1 story at a time? I couldn't ever do it

When I do read 2 books at the same time they tend to be very different. For example one might be a crime novel and the other one a non-fiction book about history. Reading 2 books at the same time doesn't harm my enjoyment but I do tend to find that I will pick up one of them more often than the other.

• 4 weeks later...

I know for some people reading more than one book is a big no no but for me I need a massive variety when reading.

For example at the minute i'm reading,

A Crown of swords - Robert Jordan

Possession - James Patterson

The Mortal instruments City of Bones - Cassandra Clare

Waiting To Be Heard - Amanda Knox

Cat and Mouse - James Patterson

The Exorcist - William Peter Blatty

For me it really depends what I'm doing and what mood i'm in. I tend to have a different book for a different activity such as, in the bath, reading in bed, reading on my phone when i have downtime in work, reading on the bus on the way to work.

I also find that a lot of the time I sit staring at my bookcase and just want to read them all!