#21 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 11,997 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:13 PM

I must reread Paper Towns before the film comes out (so excited, it's my favourite Green book) and I must read Katherines this year, as to my shame I have no read it.

He has a wonderful way with words. I readily accept criticisms about him relating to the credibility of his characters as teenagers, not wisened, particularly intelligent 30-something year old men - but once you put that aside, there are some beautiful descriptions of very relatable ideas and emotions in his books, which is why I love them.

#22 Ellie West

Ellie West

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Reading now?:The Help

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:42 AM

I must reread Paper Towns before the film comes out (so excited, it's my favourite Green book) and I must read Katherines this year, as to my shame I have no read it.

He has a wonderful way with words. I readily accept criticisms about him relating to the credibility of his characters as teenagers, not wisened, particularly intelligent 30-something year old men - but once you put that aside, there are some beautiful descriptions of very relatable ideas and emotions in his books, which is why I love them.

Totally! I love the way he can phrase things and make them sound so intellectual. I think he does a great job in writing in the personality of teenagers and capturing their feelings, even though he is 30-something and doesn't have a teen kid. I think he is a great Young Adult author.

#23 hazel.grace667

hazel.grace667

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:07 AM

"The fault in our stars" it also made me cry.

#24 J. A. Haag

J. A. Haag

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Reading now?:Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:02 PM

I love his vlogbrothers channel, but I've never enjoyed any of his books other than The Fault in Our Stars. I love his writing and the wit he brings to his stories, but I can never find myself caring about the characters. I've tried Paper Towns, Abundances of Katherines and Looking for Alaska and none of them clicked for me.

#25 Angury

Angury

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Reading now?:Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
  • LocationNorthern Ireland/Wales - UK

Posted 18 June 2016 - 12:20 PM

I love his vlogbrothers channel, but I've never enjoyed any of his books other than The Fault in Our Stars. I love his writing and the wit he brings to his stories, but I can never find myself caring about the characters. I've tried Paper Towns, Abundances of Katherines and Looking for Alaska and none of them clicked for me.

I feel the same way. I think he is a good writer and his plots sound very interesting on the surface, but as I have tried to read more and more of his work I just feel like I'm not really getting anywhere. I can't get into the depths of his characters, and a lot of the time I finish his books feeling like nothing has really changed for me as a reader.

Kudos to him for his Crash Course Videos though. I find them easy to watch and have learnt so much about topics that I never realised held any interest for me. It's a great way to encourage learning for learning's sake and not for the acquisition of grades.

Edited by Angury, 18 June 2016 - 12:20 PM.

#26 Kell

Kell

Star of the Show!

• Moderators
  • 10,153 posts
  • Reading now?:Not as much as I'd like!
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:48 PM

I loved The Fault In Our Stars, but gave up on Katherines as I just couldn't get into it at all. As a result, I was kind of put off trying Paper Towns and haven't picked up anything else by this author. Love his Vlog Brothers stuff though, and absolutely adored The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, which was created by his brother (the other half of Vlog Brothers, obviously).

#27 MrCat

MrCat

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Reading now?:Of course

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:01 AM

I first heard of John Snow when I had to read Looking for Alaska for a book club challenge five or six years ago. I wasn't really impressed by the book and all I was left with at the end was

Spoiler
. The characters were forgettable and the writing was awful to say the least. I saw Paper Towns and The Fault in Our Stars and they were decent but they did not make me want to read the books. I am not exactly sure why his books are so well received but it might be related to age and expectations. 

There is one thing he does great though and that is his Youtube channel Crash Course. 

Edited by MrCat, 29 July 2016 - 11:02 AM.

#28 Nollaig

Nollaig

Nerdfighter

• Moderators
  • 11,997 posts
  • Reading now?:Yes.
  • LocationCork, Ireland

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:08 AM

I'm 28 and think Paper Towns was fantastic. Beautifully written. The film kinda sucked, but The Fault In Our Stars film was a great adaptation of the book. Looking For Alaska isn't great though, I think even John Green himself admitted Paper Towns is a better version of what Looking For Alaska tried to be.

#29 theultimateredemption

theultimateredemption

Settling In

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:33 PM

I have not read any of John Green's book, but I am a huge fan of both him and the other Vlog Brother, Hank Green. I've actually been told I would love these books, so I must get around to reading them. I love the name 'The Fault In Our Stars', there's something really pretty about it.

I didn't realise that they're children's/youn adult books I have to admit!

"The Fault in Our Stars" comes from a quote in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars/but in ourselves, that we are underlings" 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users