ritu_mallick

John Green books

29 posts in this topic

I loved The Fault In Our Stars, but gave up on Katherines as I just couldn't get into it at all. As a result, I was kind of put off trying Paper Towns and haven't picked up anything else by this author. Love his Vlog Brothers stuff though, and absolutely adored The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, which was created by his brother (the other half of Vlog Brothers, obviously).

I first heard of John Snow when I had to read Looking for Alaska for a book club challenge five or six years ago. I wasn't really impressed by the book and all I was left with at the end was

the handjob scene

. The characters were forgettable and the writing was awful to say the least. I saw Paper Towns and The Fault in Our Stars and they were decent but they did not make me want to read the books. I am not exactly sure why his books are so well received but it might be related to age and expectations. 

There is one thing he does great though and that is his Youtube channel Crash Course. 

Edited by MrCat

I'm 28 and think Paper Towns was fantastic. Beautifully written. The film kinda sucked, but The Fault In Our Stars film was a great adaptation of the book. Looking For Alaska isn't great though, I think even John Green himself admitted Paper Towns is a better version of what Looking For Alaska tried to be.

I have not read any of John Green's book, but I am a huge fan of both him and the other Vlog Brother, Hank Green. I've actually been told I would love these books, so I must get around to reading them. I love the name 'The Fault In Our Stars', there's something really pretty about it.

I didn't realise that they're children's/youn adult books I have to admit!

"The Fault in Our Stars" comes from a quote in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars/but in ourselves, that we are underlings"