John Green books

ritu_mallick

I loved The Fault In Our Stars, but gave up on Katherines as I just couldn't get into it at all. As a result, I was kind of put off trying Paper Towns and haven't picked up anything else by this author. Love his Vlog Brothers stuff though, and absolutely adored The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, which was created by his brother (the other half of Vlog Brothers, obviously).

• 1 month later...

I first heard of John Snow when I had to read Looking for Alaska for a book club challenge five or six years ago. I wasn't really impressed by the book and all I was left with at the end was

the handjob scene

. The characters were forgettable and the writing was awful to say the least. I saw Paper Towns and The Fault in Our Stars and they were decent but they did not make me want to read the books. I am not exactly sure why his books are so well received but it might be related to age and expectations. 

There is one thing he does great though and that is his Youtube channel Crash Course. 

Edited by MrCat

I'm 28 and think Paper Towns was fantastic. Beautifully written. The film kinda sucked, but The Fault In Our Stars film was a great adaptation of the book. Looking For Alaska isn't great though, I think even John Green himself admitted Paper Towns is a better version of what Looking For Alaska tried to be.

• 6 months later...

I have not read any of John Green's book, but I am a huge fan of both him and the other Vlog Brother, Hank Green. I've actually been told I would love these books, so I must get around to reading them. I love the name 'The Fault In Our Stars', there's something really pretty about it.

I didn't realise that they're children's/youn adult books I have to admit!

"The Fault in Our Stars" comes from a quote in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars/but in ourselves, that we are underlings" 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So I'm currently re reading Looking for Alaska and I'm getting a little bit bored by it, which is funny because the first time I read it I really like it, and I thought it has some depth to it.

I've read paper towns a long time ago and I only remember the fact that the main character was searching for her self or purpose. I read an abundance of Katherines where the main character decides to create a theory, it was very much nerd/smart type of story, and actually all of the characters that John Green writes are a little nerdy and obtain some knowledge or special feature. And lastly the fault in our stars. I thought it was a good story and actually cried at the moment of the eulogy they did for the main characters. 

On 20 June 2016 at 3:48 PM, Kell said:

I loved The Fault In Our Stars, but gave up on Katherines as I just couldn't get into it at all. As a result, I was kind of put off trying Paper Towns and haven't picked up anything else by this author. Love his Vlog Brothers stuff though, and absolutely adored The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, which was created by his brother (the other half of Vlog Brothers, obviously).

Paper towns is AMAZING! I couldn't get into Katherine's either, I've never read Hank's the Lizzie Bennett diaries but I might have to try it!

12 hours ago, Bookish_melody said:

Paper towns is AMAZING! I couldn't get into Katherine's either, I've never read Hank's the Lizzie Bennett diaries but I might have to try it!

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries is a web series :)

On 9/4/2017 at 9:49 AM, Nollaig said:

The Lizzie Bennet Diaries is a web series :)

I highly reccomend it to anyone who even remotely likes Pride and Prejudice - it's is, hands down, THE best modern interpretation of that novel EVER! And because it's using social media, you get a full immersive experience with it. When I was watching it in real time, waiting for each episode, (I came to it late and then caught up quickly because I binge watched it all!), I felt so invested in the characters - it's brilliant!

I'm actually planning on re-watching the entire series next year. I know it won't be quite the same (the first ep I watched in real time was the one where we finally got to see Darcy's face), but I know the anticipation will still be awesome! PS He replaced Colin Firth as my favourite Darcy...

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, kelvindas19 said:

I am not a big fan of John Green's book , I think his writing is off the reality. But that is just my opinion, I hope no one get offended by this.

No problem with this, it’s a discussion board for a reason. You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, and you weren’t rude about it.

I have read The Fault In Our Stars.  One of my favourite books of the year, and probably of all time. I don’t think I will be reading any of his other books though. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not the biggest fan of John Green's books (though I love all his and Hank's youtube channels), but I finished his latest novel ("Turtles All the Way Down") a few days ago and I liked it the most out of all his books. Partly because I could relate to areas of it but generally because although what starts the plot is a bit silly, the book still had a realistic feel to it. 

I read three or four John Green books when I was a teenager and felt really connected to them, but now that I look back on it I don't know if I'm that much of a fan. Perhaps that speaks kindly towards Green's ability to reach into the young adult world, but I also kind of think I was an immature reader at the time and saw anything that kept my attention for hours at a time as worthy of praise. That said, if I can recall correctly I liked An Abundance of Katherines the most and read it most recently. 

• 3 years later...
On 04/09/2012 at 12:45 PM, ritu_mallick said:

Hi there!

I am not sure if any of you have read John Green. But I had to post about him.

Recently I was browsing Goodreads for a book to read and came across Looking for Alaska by John Green. The story sounded so good that I obviously had to grab it from the library (such a pleasure when you find the book you are looking for!) :smile:

When I started reading it, I was blown away. I couldn't put the book down. The characters were so alive and the book took me back to my school days.

And then I jumped into the world of John Green. He hasn't written many books but they all blew me away. I couldn't stop thinking about each of these books for a good couple of weeks:

• Paper Towns - Such a feel-good book, made me think a lot! Again, took me back to my school days, to the fun-filled days of freedom and laughter with friends. :smile:
  • The Fault in our Stars - made me cry so much, but it is brilliantly written.

I am yet to read An Abundance of Katherines, Will Grayson, Will Grayson and his story from Let it Snow.

Have you read any of his books? If so, which one did you like?

And if you haven't, then you should definitely try reading one. :smile:

I read The fault in our stars and I loved it too! Another really good one is Turtles all the way down, John Green. I like the way he writes and the topics he picks. You should give it a try :)