John Green books

ritu_mallick

Hi there!

I am not sure if any of you have read John Green. But I had to post about him.

Recently I was browsing Goodreads for a book to read and came across Looking for Alaska by John Green. The story sounded so good that I obviously had to grab it from the library (such a pleasure when you find the book you are looking for!) :smile:

When I started reading it, I was blown away. I couldn't put the book down. The characters were so alive and the book took me back to my school days.

And then I jumped into the world of John Green. He hasn't written many books but they all blew me away. I couldn't stop thinking about each of these books for a good couple of weeks:

• Paper Towns - Such a feel-good book, made me think a lot! Again, took me back to my school days, to the fun-filled days of freedom and laughter with friends. :smile:
  • The Fault in our Stars - made me cry so much, but it is brilliantly written.

I am yet to read An Abundance of Katherines, Will Grayson, Will Grayson and his story from Let it Snow.

Have you read any of his books? If so, which one did you like?

And if you haven't, then you should definitely try reading one. :smile:

I have not read any of John Green's book, but I am a huge fan of both him and the other Vlog Brother, Hank Green. I've actually been told I would love these books, so I must get around to reading them. I love the name 'The Fault In Our Stars', there's something really pretty about it.

I didn't realise that they're children's/youn adult books I have to admit!

• 2 months later...

I've just had to give up on Fault In Our Stars, which I picked up after enjoying the mysteriousness and angst of Paper Towns. It was well written, but just not something I related to. I feel I'm doing it a bit of dis-service by giving up on it, and it's a serious topic, but I just struggled with reading it. When I read in 10 minute chunks here and there, I know it's not my kind of book.

Nollaig, the title is explained a little in the book, and is to do with the phrase: 'Star crossed lovers'. Shakespeare wrote that Cassius said: "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars / But in ourselves." So the book says - I'm not au fait with Shakespeare. :hide:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on it. I read Looking For Alaska and was underwhelmed; while I liked aspects of the story, I didn't really like the characters and the plot felt a bit all over the place. I tried Will Grayson, Will Grayson, and didn't get too far as I really dislike all the characters, but I might give it another go another time. I'm reading Paper Towns now, and I'm absolutely loving it. It has all the elements I loved in Looking For Alaska, but all the bits I didn't like have been improved upon. After this I'll be reading An Abundance Of Katherines, and saving The Fault In Our Stars til last.

Also, in February 2013, myself and some friends are going to see John (and Hank) Green on tour with TFIOS in Dublin, and the ticket price apparently includes a a signed paperback copy on the way in! I'm delighted.

Oh my Gosh, I just had to share this with you. I looked up The fault in our stars to see if I could pick it up in a Norwegian book shop.

Guess what they translated the title into? Go on, guess.

They took this poetic title, this beautiful phrase, and turned it into...

fudge destiny.

• 1 month later...

I've since read The Fault In Our Stars - brilliant book. And I've also been to the TFIOS Live tour - hearing John talking about the book was awesome. (Plus his brother Hank was there to sing songs, wahey!) I plan on re-reading the book in the next few months. And it's going to be turned into a film!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I went to one of the London TFiOS live tour stops too - great, really worth it I'm not so keen on Hank's music - but just listening to John talk about TFiOS is fantastic.

I am yet to read An Abundance of Katherines, Will Grayson, Will Grayson and his story from Let it Snow.

To be honest, Katherines is his weakest solo novel, and his contribution to WG,WG wasn't great - Preferred Levithan's Grayson. Let it Snow is a good Christmas read, though - I really enjoyed that one!

• 10 months later...

I seem to be in a minority here as I preferred Looking for Alaska to The Fault in Our Stars, although they were both good books. I liked the character Alaska - I tend to be drawn towards heros who have their weaknesses and personal story to explain what made them the way they are.

Fault in Our Stars is a touching story though. I wouldn't call myself a romantic but the dreary background of death and disease added an endearing spin to their relationship.

I'm not sure whether to give Johns other books a try; they were good books but they didn't really stand out to me.

I'm looking forward to the Fault in Our Stars movie though. :)

Edited by Angury

My daughter (16) loves his work. She was quite offended that I had no idea who she was talking about when she mentioned him. So I'm here to learn more about his work. 

If he's interesting for me too I might add him to my own reading list, I'm trying not to add to much now. I'd like to finish the books I already have. I've been saying this for years of course and eventually end up adding more books.  :giggle2:

• 2 months later...

I am 14, and so far I have re-read The Fault in our Stars five times, and Will Grayson Will Grayson twice (David Levithan too is a delightful writer. I love his work), and am yet to read the physical copy of Looking For Alaska that I bought, after I've finished reading The Book Thief. In both books that I've read of his, I think they are truly well-written - the context is perfectly understandable for teens like myself and my friends, who have read TFIOS under my recommendation. I love it. TFIOS is possibly my favourite book ever to read. Enjoy reading your other John Green books. 

I only recently read The Fault In Our Stars, and loved (*gulp, sob*) it. I've since read Looking For Alaska, which is equally brilliant. If you enjoyed AFIOS, I think you with enjoy LOA at least as much. I have Paper Towns waiting for me on my kindle, and will get to that soon.

In few words he gives his characters such depth, and in the two books I have read I have immediately been able to visualise the scene in my mind - the room, the park, the look on the face. Great writing, that can depict emotion without getting too mawkish and indulgent

• 6 months later...

I just started reading John Green books, I have read 'The Fault in Our Stars', 'Paper Towns', 'Will Grayson, Will Grayson', 'Looking for Alaska' & 'Let it Snow', I love how he tells a story, the characters are easy to identify with. 

It would appear I never replied in this thread! I've read The Fault in Our Stars which I really enjoyed. I've got Paper Towns, Looking for Alaska, An Abundance of Katherines, Will Grayson, Will Grayson (co-authored) and Let it Snow (co-authored) on my TBR. I plan to hopefully read at least a few of these, this year.

I must reread Paper Towns before the film comes out (so excited, it's my favourite Green book) and I must read Katherines this year, as to my shame I have no read it.

He has a wonderful way with words. I readily accept criticisms about him relating to the credibility of his characters as teenagers, not wisened, particularly intelligent 30-something year old men - but once you put that aside, there are some beautiful descriptions of very relatable ideas and emotions in his books, which is why I love them.

• 5 months later...

I must reread Paper Towns before the film comes out (so excited, it's my favourite Green book) and I must read Katherines this year, as to my shame I have no read it.

He has a wonderful way with words. I readily accept criticisms about him relating to the credibility of his characters as teenagers, not wisened, particularly intelligent 30-something year old men - but once you put that aside, there are some beautiful descriptions of very relatable ideas and emotions in his books, which is why I love them.

Totally! I love the way he can phrase things and make them sound so intellectual. I think he does a great job in writing in the personality of teenagers and capturing their feelings, even though he is 30-something and doesn't have a teen kid. I think he is a great Young Adult author.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I love his vlogbrothers channel, but I've never enjoyed any of his books other than The Fault in Our Stars. I love his writing and the wit he brings to his stories, but I can never find myself caring about the characters. I've tried Paper Towns, Abundances of Katherines and Looking for Alaska and none of them clicked for me.

I love his vlogbrothers channel, but I've never enjoyed any of his books other than The Fault in Our Stars. I love his writing and the wit he brings to his stories, but I can never find myself caring about the characters. I've tried Paper Towns, Abundances of Katherines and Looking for Alaska and none of them clicked for me.

I feel the same way. I think he is a good writer and his plots sound very interesting on the surface, but as I have tried to read more and more of his work I just feel like I'm not really getting anywhere. I can't get into the depths of his characters, and a lot of the time I finish his books feeling like nothing has really changed for me as a reader.

Kudos to him for his Crash Course Videos though. I find them easy to watch and have learnt so much about topics that I never realised held any interest for me. It's a great way to encourage learning for learning's sake and not for the acquisition of grades.

Edited by Angury