Are You A Lionel Shriver Fan?

Has anyone read, or is any one reading Lionel Shriver's new novel "The Post Birthday World"?

She is the Orange prize winner and author of the international best seller - "We Need To Talk About Kevin"

I work for a marketing company handling the PR for her new novel. I would basically like to know what your opinions are in regards to the book.

So... please do let me know what you think.

Many Thanks

I'm afraid not. I read ... Kevin and hated it, so it put me right off reading anything else by her. I know there are quite a few folks here who really enjoyed it though.

I'm afraid not. I read ... Kevin and hated it, so it put me right off reading anything else by her. I know there are quite a few folks here who really enjoyed it though.

Yes I am a fan!! - I have read 'Kevin' and also 'Double Fault' - I knew the new book had been released as it was in last Satuday's Times or Guardian. I wont buy the hardback I'm afraid but will look in the library for it. So can't help with review yet. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I read 'We need to talk about Kevin' and I did not think much of it. I did, however, read a interview with Lionel Shriver, who in all honestly, really worried me.:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Have never read any Lionel Shrivel......but why did an interview worry you Gyre?

Well apparently she does not like children, which is not a crime, but what worried me was how detached she seemed from everything, hope that makes sense x:D

• 3 weeks later...

We have a book club show on TV once a month and they review two books (a recent release and a classic). Last night they did Post Birthday World and it got hammered by all the guests. It's completely turned me off reading anything by Shriver. Probably just as well - I have quite enough to be going on with without adding more books to the list!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

A fan I am not, but I did enjoy 'We Need to Talk About Kevin'. It seemed very well-written, and remained an engaging piece of literature.

Compare it to something like Iain McEwan's 'The Wasp Factory', and you can see how the language is better. And, if you finished the book, the end is fantastically climactic, at the absolute apex of the novel.

But, I have not read any other of her books. Has she written anything else worth reading after this, or has her sparkler gone out?

But, I have not read any other of her books. Has she written anything else worth reading after this, or has her sparkler gone out?

I read 'Double Fault' earlier this year - it is about a relationship between 2 aspiring tennis pro's which turns very bleak and sour. It is well written detailed examination of life - no where near as good as Kevin. She does have another book out called 'The Post - Birthday World about 9/11 I think but I haven't read it yet. :D

Sorry, but I haven't read anything by her either. I was aware of Kevin, and it was a book I was umming and ahhing about. Then I read an interview (might have been the same one Gyre saw!) and thought she seemed a bit "up herself", so I'm afraid Ms Shriver's dropped out of the picture for me.

I read 'We need to talk about Kevin' and I did not think much of it. I did, however, read a interview with Lionel Shriver, who in all honestly, really worried me.:D

I read Kevin Gyre and I concluded there was something wrong with Shriver. I am not surprised to hear that she doesnt like children either. I wouldnt read any more of her books