Barbara Erskine

maddy321

I always think House Of Echoes is one of Barbara's best "ghost story" reads, Weave.

The comforting thing about it is that even in the spirit world, ghosts are people too! :D We have samples of a range of spirits, here. One trying to make up for his earthly misdeeds, one hurt and hurting others, and children, too.

It's very interesting ... and just scary enough for a big girl like me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always think House Of Echoes is one of Barbara's best "ghost story" reads, Weave.

The comforting thing about it is that even in the spirit world, ghosts are people too! :D We have samples of a range of spirits, here. One trying to make up for his earthly misdeeds, one hurt and hurting others, and children, too.

It's very interesting ... and just scary enough for a big girl like me!

Thanks, I am hoping to read it soon Booknutt, I will let you know what I think :)

I hope you enjoy "House of Echoes" Weave. I loved the way that B.E. brought up the character of Tom, the toddler son of the leads of the story. He plays quite a role in the story, and when he was in distress - I was filling up for him! :D

Kelmarie - Have your teddy bear handy when you read "Midnight is a Lonely Place" - or at least don't read it in the late evening, once you get a few chapters into the story. I found it one of Barbara's scariest novels, but was so drawn into it that I couldn't stop! (The sign of a really good book!) It was several years before I could read it again, to prove to myself that I really am notthat big a chicken, enjoyed it again, and have since read it several times. Each time grips me, just the same. It's one of my favourites, now. :D

Edited by Booknutt

I hope you enjoy "House of Echoes" Weave. I loved the way that B.E. brought up the character of Tom, the toddler son of the leads of the story. He plays quite a role in the story, and when he was in distress - I was filling up for him! :D

Sounds a great read Booknutt and I do enjoy a good ghost story :)

• 2 months later...

Hi Erskine fans -

How are you getting on with those books, Weave and Kelmarie? (Or - are you both thinking "Oops, forgot!" :D ) It can be a bit of a problem, I know,to find the time for so many great "reads".

I spotted Barbara's newest novel "Time's Legacy" in paperback (already!) in Tesco's the other day, so snaffle it if you see it, anyone who hasn't got a copy yet - it's a very worthwhile - and reasonable - £4.99.

Happy :readingtwo: over the weekend, all.

• 5 months later...

Hi - I started off loving Barbara Erskine - the Lady of Hay is one of my favourite books. However, the next few books were still pretty good but from then on they just kept getting worse and worse - very samey. I have read Times Legacy and - yippee!!! it's almost as good as Lady of Hay. Barabara Erskine is really back on form.

How are you getting on with those books, Weave and Kelmarie? (Or - are you both thinking "Oops, forgot!" :D ) It can be a bit of a problem, I know,to find the time for so many great "reads".

Hi Booknutt, how are you? :) I haven't got around reading 'House of Echoes' and its in a box at the moment because we are decorating, I am definitely planning to read it though, I have heard (and read) some great things about it. :)

Hiya Erskine-fans :D

You'll enjoy House of Echoes all the more when you finally get to it, Weave ... putting your feet up after all that work!

Lynb - I agree - although I've always enjoyed all Barbara's books to some degree, Time's Legacy is a refreshing change of angle. There's something to be learned in all her books though, even the "samey" ones.

Have you tried Hiding from the Light? I enjoyed that, and it's quite deliciously spooky!

Edited by Booknutt

I downloaded Time's Legacy recently onto my Kindle so think it will be my next read. I like the sound of it and I'm in the mood for something different from my usual read.

You'll enjoy House of Echoes all the more when you finally get to it, Weave ... putting your feet up after all that work!

I certainly will Booknutt, I can't look at anymore wallpaper :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Taking a break from my current Elizabeth Chadwick obsession with an old Erskine favourite of mine "Child of the Phoenix".

It's a wonderful epic tale of Eleyne Welsh princess, and eventually the mother of a royal line. "Eleyne" is also a composite character - based on facts known about B.E.'s own family ancestor, and those of another historical character she may (or may not) also be. All is revealed - as far as possible - in the author's own words, at the back of the book.

Just to add that unmistakable "Erskine touch" Eleyne is clairvoyant, originally destined by a Druid to serve the Mother Goddess, but Fate takes a hand, and she follows a different life-path, untrained in the proper use of her "gift", and much at it's mercy.

This is B.E.'s only entirely historical novel, which I think is a shame.

Her past/current life work is always at least good, but this "doorstep" of a novel absorbed me completely on the first reading, and many "reads" later still works it's magic.

• 3 weeks later...

I've slipped into a bit of an Erskine-obsession over the past few weeks and have re-read - for the umpteenth time - "Lady of Hay" this time in the 25 year anniversary version, with the additional short story updating things at the end.

My feelings are very mixed about that sad little story ... and there's still no firm "happy-type ending" to the story of Jo, Nick, and their child of divorced parents living in separate countries (Harry) either. It felt unfinished ... what do you others think?

Also - I do think the publishers/printers could have corrected the quite-a-few type-ohs and spelling mistakes strewn throughout the original novel. Wasn't B.E. supposed to have re-read the novel herself? Surely somebody could have noticed - or maybe that would have involved too much expense to the "business" people involved? :rolleyes:

Sarcasm aside ( :) ) it's still the great "read" it always was.

Or ... What do you think?

I've finally finished Time's Legacy which I thought was really great. It has to be one of her best books (I thought she was getting a bit predictable but this has turned that on the head) - certainly since Hiding from the Light anyway.

Well worth the read.

I thought that Keir (a man of God) was a great modern-day "baddie" in "Times Legacy", SueK. :D

It was quite unnerving how his obsession with "saving" Abi led to his determined stalking of her around the countryside :eek: but all worked out well for him in the end, as he became comfortable at last with his wonderful spiritual gift, and an opening was left for an interesting future ahead ...

I think I'll re-read "Hiding from the Light" next (at present I'm deep into "Warriors Daughter") and am happily allowing myself to submerge further into B.E. novels - after all, it's no chore!

The good thing about re-reads I find, is that I'm safe in the knowledge of the final "fate" of my favourite character/s, can enjoy the story more, and notice things I hadn't before. In "Hiding's" case ... Min and Max come out of it just fine, and as I'm sure they are reincarnations of the two cats cruelly killed in historic times, and that's doubly pleasing.

O.K. ... I admit it ... I'm a big softie. I worried about the dogs in TL. too! :haha:

I thought that Keir (a man of God) was a great modern-day "baddie" in "Times Legacy", SueK. :D

It was quite unnerving how his obsession with "saving" Abi led to his determined stalking of her around the countryside :eek: but all worked out well for him in the end, as he became comfortable at last with his wonderful spiritual gift, and an opening was left for an interesting future ahead ...

I think I'll re-read "Hiding from the Light" next (at present I'm deep into "Warriors Daughter") and am happily allowing myself to submerge further into B.E. novels - after all, it's no chore!

The good thing about re-reads I find, is that I'm safe in the knowledge of the final "fate" of my favourite character/s, can enjoy the story more, and notice things I hadn't before. In "Hiding's" case ... Min and Max come out of it just fine, and as I'm sure they are reincarnations of the two cats cruelly killed in historic times, and that's doubly pleasing.

O.K. ... I admit it ... I'm a big softie. I worried about the dogs in TL. too! :haha:

Hi Booknutt

Yes, Kier turned out to be a grossly misunderstood person and wow, that was some "coma" he was in at the end. I too was worried about the dogs .... I thought they had eaten the sandwiches ! I wonder if Abi remains a priest/vicar or becomes a new age hippy and walks off into the sunset with Justin :D

I don't think I've read Warriors Daughter (can't remember as I've been reading her books for years now. But I loved Hiding from the Light. Have you read Whispers in the Sand set in Egypt, that's lovely.

Hi Sue -

Yes - it's interesting that there's scope for a sequel to "Time's Legacy" isn't it? I hope our Barbara takes up the story again, as I'd be curious about the outworkings of the lives of the main characters, too. Not to mention fascinated with more of Keir's "time-travels". :D

I've just realised I've done an oops! previously, Sue :doh: - it's "Warrior's Princess" I'm nearly finished currently, (the following novel to "Daughter's of Fire")but regardless of this human's error a great "read" even if visited before.

When I read "Whispers in the Sand" I seemed to be aware of exotic scents ... all the mix of wonderful aromas from flowers, oils, spices etc., so much part of daily life back then. I'm sure I had a past life in ancient Egypt, y'know :D

• 6 months later...

I have just read 'Time's Legacy' by Barbara Erskine and I'm sorry, but I was very disappointed by this novel. :hide:

I really like how she introduces the topic of the complexities of religion, but I found that the plot within the present to be over dramatic and in the case of Keir, rather unrealistic. I think if Erskine had kept the story in the past, I would have really enjoyed this novel, as I found this part of the novel compelling. As the book is, I found it to be a very disappointing read.

Although like everyone, I was worried about the dogs, probably more than the human characters!

• 1 month later...

Never mind Karen - if we can agree on being soft about animals that's always a positive, isn't it?

Yes - Keir was a bit intense. At one point I got a bit sick of his obsessive stalking of Abbey too. The problem of course was that he was terrified of his own gift, joining the Church partly as a form of self-protection, and determined to stamp what he feared in himself out in others, too. Especially if they also happened to be attractive and female and fellow clergy.

I was pleased for him at the end of the story. He found acceptance and peace with his special talents, so for a "baddie" he came to a promising place of new-start.

As a new comer to Barbara Erskine, which book do you guys recommend I read first? Or should I just start from the first one published?

Edited by Devi

• 4 weeks later...

I have read all Barbara Erskine book's and enjoyed all of them, But I would say if you going to start some were I wouls start with Lady of Hay her very first one ;)

Question...... I have read all of Erskine's a few time's so I'm wondering if any one has come accross any other author that writes in the sames sort of ?

xX.Leoella.Xx

Yes Devi - starting at the beginning of Barbara's work is best. That way you can grow with her, through the rest of her fantastic novels.

My own special favourite is "Child of the Phoenix" which is entirely historical, and never fails to fascinate me no matter how often I return to it (all the rest swop between past and present times and lives) , but her latest - "Time's Legacy" - is a close second.

Plus - it's time to get your requests in at your local libraries, or pre-orders, fans, for her soon-to-be-published "River of Destiny" due out in July.

Looking forward to some enjoyable :readingtwo: over the Summer-time. :smile:

Yep "Time's Legacy" I can't wait to read this one, the only problem is when I get one of her new book's I can never put them down so I have read them within a day so I end up kicking myself for rushing through it to find what happens haha,

so this time I have swore to myself "I WILL PACE MYSELF" so lets see how that works out this time lol.......

On another note has any of you ever read the Janet Paisley Book's ? I have just read "White Rose Rebel" oooooo I was in a right mood when my kiddies stopped me reading this one ha, I have finished it now though very good read indeed :P

• 1 month later...

I have read all Barbara Erskine book's and enjoyed all of them, But I would say if you going to start some were I wouls start with Lady of Hay her very first one ;)

Question...... I have read all of Erskine's a few time's so I'm wondering if any one has come accross any other author that writes in the sames sort of ?

xX.Leoella.Xx

Hi Leoella - There's always the upcoming new "Erskine" novel "River of Destiny" which I'm a-twitch about already ... not long to go, gang! :D

Also, I'm very fond of Ceri Norman whose first novel "Celtic Maidens" was a very enjoyable read. Same kind of present/past lives idea, but a much different writer from Barbara, and in some parts very funny, too. Her second, "Serpent's Mound" is soon to be published, and I've got my eye on it with interest.

Back to Erskine - and one day less to go!

Edited by Booknutt

I'm looking forward to reading her new book River of Destiny as it's based around the Deben estuary of Woodbridge in Suffolk (an area I know very well) and there's a lot of history around there. She probably had a field day writing about that area.

Edited by SueK