Barbara Erskine

maddy321

I'd been waiting ages for the new book by BARBARA ERSKINE. She is a brilliant Historian and I always feel that she has really done her homework. The background that she sets with descriptions jump alive. The characters are so easy to understand, I feel that I am in the setting with them.

I found myself drawn in by the character of Cartimandua, the Queen of the Brigantes she has been so well written it was very easy to identify with the decisions she had to make during her reign. The author has very cleverly linked the past and the present by making historian Viv Lloyd Rees the link to Cartimandua through an ancient brooch .......Anymore info and I will spoil it for you!

A very good read, I would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love love love Barbara Erskine! ;)

She has to be my most favourite author ever - it's nice to have someone on here that thinks the same!!!!

I have all her books and they take pride and place on my bookshelf!

• 2 months later...

I've nearly finished reading this one and I am quite impressed. This is my first Barbara Erskine book, it took me a while to get into the story and her writing style but it has been a great read. The main characters, especially the historical ones, were a great read.

• 1 year later...

I love all Erskine's, including her next, after "Daughter's of Fire" - which is "The Warriors Daughter".

"Warrior's Daughter" has more story in it, and less historical detail, and focus on battles etc., which was my only complaint regarding "D of F" -making "Warrior's Daughter" an easier "read".

I've always found B.E.'s stuff interesting (and also have everything she's ever published!:roll:) and wish her many more years of writing her fantastic, atmospheric novels!

Which was the first you each read, gang? For me it was "Midnight is a lonely Place". I can't remember what drew me to it, for usually I avoid anything too scary. But reading the book during the evening, which was the only time I had to spare for a nose-down back then, actually scared me into "accidently" falling asleep with the light on, for a few nights! I was totally hooked, though - and just had to finish it! I've read it again a few times since - just to prove to myself that I'm a big girl, now. :)

P. S. Also totally loved "Daughter of the Phoenix".

I absolutely love Barbara Erskine's books too and I'm a bit behind with them at the moment, she is turning them out quite quickly.

I think my favourite is "Hiding from the Light" as it gave a very enlightening account on Matthew Hopkins.

But Lady of Hay (her first) still holds a special place for me.

Hi again Erskine fans!

I've been on a Jane Austen fest over the past week or two, so decided yesterday that it was time for a change of pace, and since this thread had caught my eye, I'd revisit "an Erskine".

Spookily enough, Sue, the one I chose is "Hiding from the Light" which I'm thoroughly enjoying, again. I even did the unusual for me, and delayed going out this morning, till I could absorb another chapter or two. I'm a big believer in past-lives myself, and it's always interesting to see which modern charactersin the novels channel the historical ones. In this case, it's interesting that the Witchfinder General, Matthew Hopkins, reappears through the priest (a "good" guy) in the story - choosing an "opposite" kind of life to express himself through!

I like the way the book is decorated wth occasional pencil sketches, too. A nice little touch of style.

I know what you mean, Chrissy - there's just not enough time to get to all the great stuff around, is there? Have you ever tried talking books? They're good to plug yourself into while doing boring household stuff, or running, travelling etc.,

Well, gang - back to delicious scariness! :lol:

I chose is "Hiding from the Light" which I'm thoroughly enjoying, again.

My sister's BF is taking me on a witch hunt in Manningtree in April to show me where all the things happened! Can't wait, I think I will re-read it before I go! :lol:

My sister's BF is taking me on a witch hunt in Manningtree in April to show me where all the things happened! Can't wait, I think I will re-read it before I go! :lol:

Oh I did that after I read the book (few years ago now). We booked into a B/B and did some exploring. It's a lovely part of the country. Enjoy:D

Sounds wonderfully scary Nici and SueK! :tong:

What about comparing "chills" here, after Nici's been, ladies? We'd al love it, I'm sure.

I must say, I'm starting to be more sympathetic about Matthew Hopkins, now. Looking at him more dispassionately, he was obviously profoundly affected by his childhood experiences, and probably wasn't even aware of many of the pressures brought to bear in "his" name. There's always someone ready to use and abuse a "figurehead" isn't there? Plus, of course, there have always been good and bad witches - it just depends on how they used their skills. Poor Lyn (the Wiccan (or White) witch) is seen as "evil" by many in the book, but she's really doing her best to help a situation fed by the greed of the local people who are using the history of the incidents for their own benefit, and keeping the energy of the spirits involved, alive.

Apart from those sticky points, though - "Hiding" is still a thumpin' good "read".

Enjoy your visit, Nici. :smile2:

Count me in as a Barbara Erskine fan. I've read all of her novels, except the latest which I have on my tbr pile. My favourites are still the first two I read, Lady of Hay and Kingdom of Shadows. I love how she interweaves present day and the past and writes characters that you really care about.

Hi again folks -

Sparkle - I just love your User Name :irked:

I'm on Lady of Hay myself at the moment - immersing myself in this fantastic first-novel of B.E.'s. It's been ages since I first read it, so it's almost- new to me, again!

What struck me is the depth of L of H - for a first novel, I mean. It showed clearly Barbara's fantastic talent, even back then. The only "ageing" I've noticed in it is Jo's collection of music tapes (collector's items, now!) and a payment for a couple of alcoholic drinks in a bar with a

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
I read the posts - would you say that the most important thing in a historical novel is the research and the accuracy of the historical setting?

Interesting point. I'm a very picky reader and a stickler for historical accuracy - that's why I like Ellis Peters' and Elizabeth Chadwick's novels. However, I'm also very happy if the plot is exceptionally good and I feel some historical accuracy can be sacrificed to make the plotline a little more dramatic. I would then expect the author to make that fact known in her acknowledgements.

Barbara Erskine is very good on accuracy (I think she has a degree in Med. History) but as her plots go into supernatural boundaries, then exceptions I think, can be made.

Just starting reading 'House of Echoes' and got right into it & love it so far :D

anyone else read this one?

This is the first one I read it was given to me by my mum.....I have many of her books on my bookshelf but havent looked at them for a while....hmmm.....

• 10 months later...

What do we all think of Barbara's latest novel - Time's Legacy - fellow fans?

I treated myself to this a few weeks ago - and I think it's great!

She's changed her usual format a bit - which is very refreshing. This time, even her modern day "baddie" turns out to be not-so-bad, after all, and comes to a happy ending. Her historical villian isn't so lucky, but then he's a real out-and outer! :D

I also loved the mixing of the Church of England and a Druid in the tackling of the problems encountered by our heroine. Those clergymen were a very openminded bunch, and hopefully reflect more openness in our modern-day traditional churches. Then again, it is a fiction novel!

I really enjoyed it - what does anyone else think?

• 3 months later...

I'm gonna sulk if somebody else doesn't talk about my current favourite Erskine, "Time's Legacy" ... so there! :irked:

hehehe.

I'm glad to hear she has changed her format a wee bit. I may give her new book a go.

The subject matter she writes about is right up my alley however I started to feel her books were a bit formulaic. They all seemed to end up the same. So I gave up reading them.

I think you'll find this one a refreshing change, M'Lady :D

I won't spoil the experience for you by giving too much away ... but even the modern-day "baddie" turns out to be quite a surprise - in a good way!

Yes - I suppose it's easy for any author to get into a rut with their plots. How much of that is the "fault" of the fans, though? We tend to like what we like - so it's a shot in the dark for any author to give up the tried and tested.

It's paid off for our Barbara this time - I loved Time's Legacy. Enjoy.

No don't sulk Booknutt :friends3:

I have to admit I fell out of love a bit with Barbara Erskine as they were getting a bit samey. But I do like the sound of this book and may give it a go (once Mount TBR has been conquered :D ). I'm pleased she has changed her format as I think she is a good writer but was getting a tad predictable.

Thanks for the heads up though.

I hope you enjoy it, Sue - it really is quite different to what became the standard format - the old "formula" doesn't apply.

If you're a bit uncertain - how about ordering it in your local Library first? That's my usual M.O. with newly published hardbacks. Then, in about 6 months when they go into paperback - I'll buy a copy to enjoy repeatedly, and keep.

I haven't read any of Barbara Erskine's books but my friend recommended one of her books to me, so I invested in 'House of Echoes' but I haven't got around to reading it but I am looking forward to it :)