Barbara Erskine

maddy321

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a huge fan of BE and have read most of her work.  I did enjoy Darkest Hour but I don't think it's her best book, I think her characterisation was better than it usually yes (they tend to be a bit two-dimensional) and as usual, the atmosphere was very evocative, but my favourites so far are House of Echoes (my first BE book), Midnight is a Lonely Place, and Hiding from the Light, and I also liked River of Destiny and Whispers In the Sand, and the short story collections are worth a read too.

I wasn't keen of Daughters of Fire, which is probably why I still haven't read Warrior's Princess, and I've still got Time's Legacy on the tbr pile too - I'm now worried about those dogs though!  I do like the sound of it, as well as the setting.

• 5 months later...

Hi gang - it's been a while since I dropped by, so good to catch up with a few other Erskine fans, again.

So - we're on the run up to Sleepers Castle at the end of June!

This next BE is set in Hay, full circle from Lady of Hay which is thirty this year ... scary isn't it?!

Noting that, I'm a bit concerned. Could it be that this might be the last novel in the Erskine library?

Of course we hope not, but 30 years+ is a good "innings" for a second career, including all the promotional work too.

OK, let's not get depressed over possibilities - just look forward to the summer treat ahead.

I'm already planning a lovely break in the routine to relax and really get into the book.

Keep the faith gang, and maybe read a few of our favourites, meantime. They never get "old" do they?

• 2 months later...

Hi gang - it's been a while since I dropped by, so good to catch up with a few other Erskine fans, again.

So - we're on the run up to Sleepers Castle at the end of June!

This next BE is set in Hay, full circle from Lady of Hay which is thirty this year ... scary isn't it?!

Noting that, I'm a bit concerned. Could it be that this might be the last novel in the Erskine library?

Of course we hope not, but 30 years+ is a good "innings" for a second career, including all the promotional work too.

OK, let's not get depressed over possibilities - just look forward to the summer treat ahead.

I'm already planning a lovely break in the routine to relax and really get into the book.

Keep the faith gang, and maybe read a few of our favourites, meantime. They never get "old" do they?

I see you're reading 'Demelza' - loved it.

I did see somewhere on BE's website a while ago that she might revisit the character Kate Kennedy from "Midnight is..." so I don't think she's done writing yet, hope not anyway!  Looking forward to Sleeper's Castle (great title).

• 7 months later...

"Sleepers Castle" anyone?

Really enjoyed this latest Erskine where we're led a bit further into spiritual type stuff, and fascinating it is too.

Silly to think that I'd never before considered that as we can look back to meet past life people in spirit, so they can look forward to see us too!

Imagine living in a long term family home where your great grandparents are still capable of keeping an eye on the younger generations! A bit spooky, but also comforting, too.

Love to hear from others who liked the novel, too - ?

• 6 months later...

Anyone else read Sleepers Castle yet? Don't want to give too much away but there's quite a scary villain in this Erskine - really adds to the enjoyment!

Gather in your books my friends, as the Starks of Winterfell say "winter is coming!"

• 4 weeks later...

I'm now reading Sleeper's Castle, enjoying it so far but finding the storyline with Rowan a bit silly, love the setting, and Catrin's story is also fascinating.

I've also read Time's Legacy, and thoroughly enjoyed that one, even though the villain was so two-dimensional I wanted to start booing him!

Times Legacy is my own 2nd favourite, at last! Up till then every new Erskine novel I read was the new 2nd "favourite"(:rolleyes:), and Child of the Phoenix is in first, first p!ace! 

Anyone else reading or read " Sleepers Castle"?

I enjoyed the length, Madeleine, but then the story quite fascinated me. We stepped a little further along the spiritual path this time - I've fol!owed that particular thread with interest right from Lady of Hay. 

What's your final verdict then?

• 2 months later...

I've recently learned that Barbara's next book is to be called "The Ghost Tree". (Unfortunately not due till late June 2018 :o)

I do wonder if this is a tree where ghosts will meet, as the only other option is that the tree 

is deceased and the "ghost" itself?

We do get in ridiculous conversations about the english language and its meanings, don't we?

Either way it'll be another good 'un from our favourite wordsmith.

Looking forward to sitting down with it! 

Happy New reading year to All. :D

Have just spotted another novel entitled "The Ghost Tree" by Sara Gain. Frankly, it sounds like something much too scary for little me. The mystery may be solved though, as it appeared that the Ghost Tree in that novel was a defense against a poltergeist.

So the next "Erskine" seems likely to be a real hide-under-the-covers one.

Ooh heck :o, just remember to take a torch, or buy an e-reader version!:D