Barbara Erskine

maddy321

... only a few more days, fans, till "River of Destiny" is unleashed! How do those lucky people who preview books before they're published get the job?!

I did have the book on request at the local Library, but in the end couldn't wait till it would have got to me, so I've got it on pre-order now.

Also - I find with most of Barbara's books I have the urge to read though once at-the-gallop, and then go back for at least one more read through at a more civilised pace, so I'd resent having to give it back again.

In the case of "Times Legacy" I'm on a loop! :D

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... only a few more days, fans, till "River of Destiny" is unleashed! How do those lucky people who preview books before they're published get the job?!

HI Booknutt, I was lucky to get a copy of this book from the Amazon Vine programme last week, I didn't think it would be on the list to review as she is a very popular author but I'm reading it now and I definitely don't think you will be disappointed! I will be reviewing it on Amazon when I've finished it.

Had the most outrageous experience yesterday. Spotted copies of R of D on the shelves of my local supermarket before I had received my pre-ordered copy!

How dare they! :motz:

I was s-o-o tempted to buy it there and then ... but persuaded myself to wait and check my mails. It was this morning when I had a mail to tell me it's on the way.

I thought pre-ordering was supposed to bring the perk of getting a book a little earlier than the High Street shops?

:motz: all over again!

Hi Booknutt, I finished River of Destiny last night and absolutely loved it. I won't go into the plot and will wait for your reaction when you have finished it. I thought it was better than Time's Legacy, partly because it's set in an area that I love, the Sutton Hoo district in Suffolk - full of rich history.

I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks, Sue. :smile: R of D is next on my list, I'm determined to get to it this weekend, and am :readingtwo: my current novel every spare minute to get it finished!

I just love the orange colour of the cover, by the way...

This author sounds like she writes on really interesting topics and periods - are they all about British prehistory? I'd love to read about something set in pre-roman times in Britain :) Can someone recommend me a title?

Hi there, Barbara Erskine is a very prolific writer and her genre is supernatural timelines. She had a degree in Medieval History so she knows her stuff. I think you might like Time's Legacy which centres around the present and Roman Britain (with a certain young carpenter who comes to our shores with his Uncle to learn spirituality). It's a lovely book. If you look up her name on Amazon it will detail all of her works and I know she has written some which pre-date Roman times but I can't think of the titles at the moment. If you like Cromwellian times, she wrote a corker called Hiding from the Light which centres around Matthew Hopkins the Witchfinder General.

I look forward to seeing what you decide upon.

Edited by SueK

Welcome here, Cory(ographies) :smile:

Yep - I agree with Sue "Hiding" is thumpin' good read. "On the Edge of Darkness" is another goodie where the hero Adam is taken back to visit the 6th century as a lad, by a young girl being training to be a Druid priestess - and she haunts his life till his grand daugher finally sees her off, decades later! That was nice and chilly too.

I'm currently on River of Destiny, and loving it. Don't like Ken (husband of heroine Zoe) , who's showing himself already to be quite the M.C.P. and a cheats on her, too Maybe he'll come to a sticky end - ? :D

Just popped by for a quick visit - must get back to the plot ... :readingtwo:

Greetings, Erskine-fans - I've finished "River of Destiny" and was impressed - though frankly I didn't expect anything less. This lady just gets better in her craft.

That plain fact aside- I can now admit that I did have some doubts as to whether I'd be comfortable personally with the three-strand storyline, which is new to B.E.'s novels. I'm not hugely into short stories as a rule, and wondered how she'd present the idea. She handled it well though, giving us short glimpses of each time era in turn, and keeping the sword (Destiny) as a common linking theme. It all weaved together beautifully, with the main modern characters all coming to acceptable ends, and keeping the tragedies in the past.

Don't want to spoil the experience for anyone who hasn't read it yet, so I'll just say I did like the way that the modern metalsmith of the story (Leo) finally found fulfilment on behalf of the earlier era smiths whose wives both died pregnant or in childbirth - that was a nice touch.

So - for anyone who is keeping this book for holiday reading - Enjoy :smile: - it's a great addition to our Erskine "libraries".. .

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just recently found Barbara Erskine, and I am thoroughly in love!! :-) I can't seem to find one anywhere, but I'd like to find a recommended reading order for her books so I get the best experience.

Could someone please post the recommended order, even if it is just by publishing date--and could you please list all titles in the correct order - - the eBook publishing dates are often listed, which skews the original publishing dates up. :-(. Thank you so much for your help with this!! :-D

Thanks so much for the links! I have been reading the books in the order in which they were published, but the back and forth of the historical parts (for example, Eleyne appearing as an old woman in the second book, then as a child in the one I'm reading now, 'Child of the Phoenix' - which is the 3rd one published).

To create more of a 'flow), I would like to read the remaining novels in chronological order as far as the historical events are concerned. Do any of you happen to either have a list of the the order in which the books can be read so that the hisorichistorical parts would be in chronological order, or do you know where I might be able to find this information? I am currently reading' Phoenix ', and it begins in 1218.

I would really appreciate any help with this! :-) Thank you so much in advance! :-)

Jamie

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think Barbara Erskine writes in an historically chronological timeline. For instance Hiding from the Light deals with Matthew Hopkins (Witchfinder General) in Cromwellian times, to Jesus' time in Times Legacy and her latest deals with Saxon times in River of Destiny. The link Chesilbeach provides is her publishing timeline.

Maybe she varies her eras to ring the changes not only for herself, but her readers, too?

It can probably be "samey" to always write books on the one time period, as well as to :readingtwo: them. A change is as good as a rest, after all :smile:

• 2 months later...

Looked for my hb copy of "River of Destiny" the other day - and then remembered I'd rashly loaned it out - which is as good as "goodbye" with this author :o

So - I'm on order for the pb version, due out on St Valentine's Day, and from now on I'll keep a firmer eye on my Erskines.  

I always like to go back to re-visit a few of her novels regularly - so I'm looking forward to getting "Destiny" back.

Anyone got any thoughts on this particular book, or their own favourite, maybe?  

• 10 months later...

Hello, Me, Myself and I - it's so nice coming 'ere to talk to you ... :D

Has everybdy else gone off our Barbara, of-a-sudden?! :o    

Her new book is in the pipeline for next Summer, (The Darkest Hour, I think) but I've got to admit I'm a bit disappointed as the historical side is to be set in World War ll days - still "historical" of course (even for me :D ) but also more "modern" than I'd usually choose.

Things like electricity, motor cars and telephones are bad enough in a "historical" novel,  but once folk start dropping bombs on each other it's a big turn-off. I'm happier with bows and arrows or lances!

This will be a personal challenge ... will I take to this work of  my favourite author ... or not?

:xmassign:   to All

• 7 months later...

Who has read the latest from our Barbara - "The Darkest Hour"?

I've heard some positive things about it which make me almost curious enough to order it from my Library.

I can feel my sulks over it being set in quite "modern" times historically (the second World War!) fading away now, as they inevitably would with this author, who's too good to miss.

Tell us what you thought, fellow bookworms -? :thanx:

• 1 year later...

Ok, I'll continue talking to myself .. feel free to jump aboard, anyone out there!

Any news yet on the next Erskine novel, anyone?

The Darkest Hour was certainly good, but I'm getting twitchy now with missing her usual settings - way back in really historical times!

Roll on the next one, hopefully out for the Christmas frenzy - ?

Hello Booknutt  :smile: Your calls have not gone unheard! I've just finished my first Barbara Erskine - Midnight is a Lonely Place.

I love the title and the book is very well crafted. I found myself trying to find odd moments to snatch some more reading time - so that was a very good sign. I found it a little repetitive with an abrupt ending but I'd still give it four stars out of five.

I chose the book because of this thread, so you're not talking to yourself Booknutt, you're doing a good promotional job for B.E. and I, for one, thank you!