Alexander

Alexander the Great

Hi,

I'm Alexander and I'm 21 years old. I live in the Dutch-speaking part of Flanders, so in my book list you will find some Dutch titles. I try to read the English original whenever I can, but when translated from another language that isn't English, I'll grab the Dutch translation because I do love my mother tongue.

I'm currently in college, studying to be a history and English teacher in secondary school, teaching kids from 12 to 16 mostly. I hope to be graduating at the end of January and start a weekly course to get a degree so I can get a job at the library. I've loved that place all my life and I really want to work with books.

I obviously like reading, or I wouldn't be here. I'm a total addict and ever since I discovered the cheaper bookstores in the city where I study, about three years ago, my bookcase is bursting. I haven't read most of them, however, because putting me in a library is like putting an alcoholic in a liquor store. I can't leave without a new book, and it keeps going on like that in a never-ending cycle, which is why I have yet to read a lot of books that I own. I'm determined to start after this current library book is finished.

Besides reading, I like to write myself. So far, I've mainly written fan fiction, but I have started my own story recently and have an idea for another. I keep track of the process of writing my story on a livejournal blog, but I haven't got much so far because I need to be in the mood and don't want to pressure myself.

I read almost anything. I'm not a fan of science fiction with strange monsters on a planet far far away, but I do appreciate lighter science fiction and fantasy. I have a special interest in novels in a historical setting, since I'm very interested in history, particularly from about 1450 - probably no coincidence that's when massive printing came up.

I also like photography, but don't actively pursue it. I have a digital camera that's not shabby by far, but not professional either. Especially nature and portraits and ancient/old buildings intrigue me. Naturally, that means I enjoy photos made by so-called Urban Explorers. I keep track of my photos on a tumblr blog, which leads me to my next interest: the internet. I spend quite some time online, communicating with people that have interests in common with me, since I can't find them IRL. I also like watching TV series and movies on my computer.

Besides all of that, I get very contemplative moods and have recently started recording the thoughts I have at these times. You can find the result at A Cup of Alexander, my more in-depth blog.

My ideal birth year is 1972 in New York City. I would've loved being a teenager in the 80s, and being in my twenties in the 90s, and having a family in my thirties in the 00s. That's one dream life. I'd also have loved to be born in Australia with a love for all kinds of animals - it sounds so great to me to be able to work in a zoo in Australia.

I also have to mention that I love the lay-out of this forum. It's simply brilliant.

That's all I can think of right now, but if you have any questions, shoot!

Edited by Alexander the Great

• 4 weeks later...