Your Book Activity ~ September 2012

Kylie

I finished The Art of Racing in the Rain during my sleepless night last night. I still had a third of it left when I picked it up and finished late in the morning!

I did have one small niggle with the book, while I am a big motor racing nut, I couldn't help but speed read through the more detailed racing parts, because I wanted to know what was going on with the family.

I still loved it very much though.

I'm sooo happy you loved it! :smile2: Did it make you laugh out loud? The bits with the zebra, perhaps, and some very important documents? :giggle:

I hadn't heard of it either .. but Waterstone's were promoting it on a stand when I last went in (or last went in with book buying power ) and the cover was lovely and the blurb sounded promising ... I should have chosen it as one of my current reads because I am badly in need of a reading laugh at the moment. I might pack it for France though

I've read further on and I do have one thing to complain about it: there are two stories in the book, the present happenings and the main character's past history. The present happenings I love the best and it's really funny. The past history is okay too, and at times even funny, but I've already forgotten some parts of it, which is probably due to the fact that my reading of the novel has spanned over a few weeks and I've read it in bits and pieces. So my advice would be that if you loose your place in the story as quickly as I do in general, don't leave the book hanging :)

Yes, she's complicated enough without having to deal with a translation .. I'm not sure she even knew what she was on about half the time One thing I've learnt about her from reading all this stuff () is that she didn't see the point in writing what might be called 'ordinary prose' even if it resulted in a fantastic story .. she thought you should always push boundaries and try for something different. I will endeavour to bear that in mind next time I'm trying to untangle one of her paragraphs.

I think it's admirable that she had such high standards for pushing boundaries. As long as it works, though. I don't think gimmicks for gimmicks' sake is something to aplaud, but I'm sure Woolf managed to avoid that swamp.

Over the last day or so I've read about 200 pages of Gone With The Wind and its safe to say that I'm now hooked on it! Can't believe that I've left it this long to read!

Wohoo! I knew you would be sucked right in to the story :D

I finished The Thoughts and Happenings of Wilfred Price, Purveyor of Superior Funerals today. Really enjoyed it, and dead chuffed I won it now!

I'm pleased you enjoyed it, can't wait to read it myself! :)

I just finished The Snowman - Jo Nesbo, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Frankie yes I do think it's the best Harry Hole book so far, the others were good but The Snowman - Wow!

I've been seeing copies of the novel at the library but I have to read the series in order :rolleyes::giggle2: I can't wait to get to The Snowman!

220 pages into Rivers of London. Enjoying it

Oh man, I've been wanting to read that book for ages! I'm happy you are enjoying it :)

I'm still reading 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared. I've been sick for a few days so I've had to stay in bed, but luckily I've been well enough to read and I've covered more than 150 pages, I'm going to finish it this weekend.

The only problem is: what to read next?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a lazy day today & managed to finish Salmon Fishing In The Yemen, it was such a good read. Next up is Hester by Mrs Oliphant don't think i'll be able to get through this one so quickly as it's a bigger book with small print so i'll have to dig out my reading glasses.

My reading mojo is all over the place at the moment, I just started reading 'The Girl Who Leapt Through Time' by Yasutaka Tsutsui :)

Edited by Weave

I'm sooo happy you loved it! :smile2: Did it make you laugh out loud? The bits with the zebra, perhaps, and some very important documents? :giggle:

I had a few chuckles, and lots of smiles :) reminded me very much of our two dogs.

I too am sick, I felt something coming on from Tuesday last week, but I think I managed to hold it off till after my birthday on thursday. Lots of honey and lemon tea, bed rest and tissues and hopefully it will be gone by Tuesday for a special event.

I had a few chuckles, and lots of smiles :) reminded me very much of our two dogs.

Awwww :smile2:

I too am sick, I felt something coming on from Tuesday last week, but I think I managed to hold it off till after my birthday on thursday. Lots of honey and lemon tea, bed rest and tissues and hopefully it will be gone by Tuesday for a special event.

I hope we feel better very soon! :friends3: Us honey buds :D I'm also drinking black currant juice, lots of vitamin C.

I finished the 100-Year-Old Man last night and got into Sophie Kinsella's I've Got Your Number. I'm liking it fine so far, it's very suitable reading for when one's sick and needs something quick and light.

Had a lazy day today & managed to finish Salmon Fishing In The Yemen, it was such a good read.

Glad you liked it Kidsmum, I thought it was a lovely book. Didn't get on with his second book as well, but may read some of the more recent ones at some point.

I've finished Rivers of London this morning and I loved as much as I hoped I would! Cracking read, and the next two are on my wishlist. :smile2:

Today I've bought The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan for the Rory Gilmore challenge and Notes From A Small Island by Bill Bryson for the September reading circle.

Currently reading Minerva by M. C. Beaton, the first in a series of Regency romances as a light, frothy read for a Sunday afternoon. :D

Just started The virgin suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides, it seems really good!! Two days ago I finished Portnoy's complaint...I'm still shaken.

Oh, I loved The Virgin Suicides! I hope you enjoy it too.

I finished Room today, I have to say it really came to its own in the end. I can't wait to discuss it with my bookclub girls and of course you all here.

Edited by Gabbie

I've finished Gone With The Wind now and wow what a book, its fantastc so thought provoking and I'm sure that it will stay with me for a long time after!

I've started Alana Weatherbee #1 by Jack Sorenson now as ive had this one on the go for quite a while!

I've decided to abandon 'The Somnambulist' by Essie Fox, because I found that it wasn't going anywhere and I didn't feel the need to read this, which I feel is important with any book. It's the third book I have abandoned this year, I must be getting ruthless with my reading!

Now I have decided to re-read 'The Elegance of the Hedgehog' by Muriel Barbery. I definitely know that I will enjoy this one.

Stopped by to check out the bookstore, didn't mean to but came home with three books. How does that happen?? Got grief for it, too. But "buying new books" is almost the same as "I'm going to get rid of some of these", right?

I got HoneyMoney by Catherine Hakim, Willpower by Roy F. Baumeister and John Tierney as well as long overdue Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis. All non-fiction, oddly, but then again, I do have boxes after boxes of fiction to unpack... Has anyone read any of these? I know Liar's Poker at least has been around for quite some time.

I've finished Rivers of London this morning and I loved as much as I hoped I would! Cracking read, and the next two are on my wishlist.

Everybody seems to be reading this book right now, I'm jealous :D I'm really happy you enjoyd it!

Today I've bought The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan for the Rory Gilmore challenge and Notes From A Small Island by Bill Bryson for the September reading circle.

Oh, so the time has come?! Cool! :D

I finished Room today, I have to say it really came to its own in the end. I can't wait to discuss it with my bookclub girls and of course you all here.

What a great novel, right? :)

I've finished Gone With The Wind now and wow what a book, its fantastc so thought provoking and I'm sure that it will stay with me for a long time after!

I knew you would love it, yay! :D The story definitely stays with you, and I think it's a book that can be re-read time and time again.

Started and almost finished The Joy Luck Club today, think I have one chapter left to go.

Okay, so the time's also... gone? :o:lol: Oh dear, how are we to keep up with you, woman?! :D

I finished the Kinsella novel which I enjoyed. Started reading Charlaine Harris's first novel in the Aurora Teagarden series, I think it's called The Real Murder (Mysteries?) or something like that? I spotted it at the library last week and had to borrow it. Enjoying it so far, it's also a very short read at 200 pages.

Most of my book activity in recent days stems from chasing my cat away from my books. Because we have beautiful spring weather here, I've moved my 'office' into my library to work, and because Jasper follows me everywhere, he's now spending a lot of time around my books and can't keep his naughty paws off them. <sigh>

I've managed to read a couple of chapters of The Talented Mr Ripley. I'm enjoying it and can't wait to see where it goes (I saw the movie years ago but can't remember any of it). Just wish I had more time to read!

Most of my book activity in recent days stems from chasing my cat away from my books. Because we have beautiful spring weather here, I've moved my 'office' into my library to work, and because Jasper follows me everywhere, he's now spending a lot of time around my books and can't keep his naughty paws off them. <sigh>

Reading about this, about your wonderful spring weather, made me totally (AUS) home sick :(

I've managed to read a couple of chapters of The Talented Mr Ripley. I'm enjoying it and can't wait to see where it goes (I saw the movie years ago but can't remember any of it). Just wish I had more time to read!

Here's wishing you could arrange more time for reading :friends3:

I just can't get into any books at the moment. I pick one up, ready a couple of chapters and put it down again. :motz:

That's really frustrating :empathy: I hope you can soon find a novel that will grab you!

I've been sick for a few days so I've had to stay in bed

I too am sick

Hope you both are feeling better :empathy:

I'm still with Kim - didn't read for a few days in between - and have picked it up again now.

:readingtwo:

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivery (paperback)

The Sister Brothers by Patrick deWitt (kindle)

:bookworm:

Edited by Weave

Okay, so the time's also... gone? :o:lol: Oh dear, how are we to keep up with you, woman?! :D

Sorry frankie, picked it up and couldn't put it down. Absolutely loved it.

Been suckered into the light and frothy at the moment, and am polishing off M. C. Beaton's Regency romance series, and am currently on book five (of six). Funny, slightly silly even, but quite witty and very easy to read.

i am part way through Notes From a Walnut Tree Farm - Roger Deakin and i have a lovely quote from it

I want all my friends to come up like weeds, and I want to be a weed myself, spontaneous and unstoppable. I don't want the kind of friends one has to cultivate.

its a lovely and relaxing read for last thing before bed.

Yay for me, I just figured out how to use the multiquote function! :P

If you figure out a way to stop naughty paws, please do let me know the secret! :giggle2:

Stopped by to check out the bookstore, didn't mean to but came home with three books. How does that happen?? Got grief for it, too. But "buying new books" is almost the same as "I'm going to get rid of some of these", right?

I have that problem too. Maybe it's a twisted kind of disease? If so, let's not take the cure. :giggle2: And sure, if it helps I'll agree that it's almost the same as getting rid of them! :P

I've been re-reading a couple of novels lately. They are from the Recluce Saga by L.E. Modesitt, and am quite enjoying them.

Reading about this, about your wonderful spring weather, made me totally (AUS) home sick :(

Aw, sorry. :empathy: But just remember how it's going to get stinking hot soon!

Here's wishing you could arrange more time for reading :friends3:

Thanks! I did manage to get some more reading in yesterday, at the expense of my work. But hey, sometimes you've just gotta prioritise, right? ;)

I'm about a third of the way through The Talented Mr Ripley, and I'm enjoying it so much I just went online and two more books from the series. :D

Oh, and I got a book in the mail a couple of days ago: Charles Dickens by Simon Callow.

If you figure out a way to stop naughty paws, please do let me know the secret! :giggle2:

I have figured it out! It's a bit of a rambling reply, so I've posted it over in the Pets thread.

Glad you liked it Kidsmum, I thought it was a lovely book. Didn't get on with his second book as well, but may read some of the more recent ones at some point.

I loved it , i thought it was really cleverly written :smile:

Less than 100 pages to go in Hester by Mrs Oliphant i'm really excited about finding this author who's new to me. If all her books are as good as this one i'll definitely be reading more of her stuff :D