Anthony Horowitz

Nici

I've read the first one, Raven's Gate - I bought it with birthday money (not my last birthday, the one before) and thought it was pretty good. i kept meaning to get hold of the next one but I haven't yet. You'll have to let us know what you think of them. ;)

Has anyone read the "Power of Five" series? So far there are three books: Raven's Gate, Evil Star and Nightrise.

I was given them today!

This is the same author who wrote the Alex Ryder books.

My daughter is a keen reader of Anthony Horowitz - she's read all the Alex Ryders (plus seen the film) and the Raven's Gate books. She also enjoys Garth Nix, Philip Pullman, and Eion Colfer (sp), so these might be writers you'd enjoy Nici if you enjoy Anthony Horowitz.

My dad enjoys these writers as well so if my daughter's read them and rates them then I buy them for my dad - it's quite handy as I'm always on the lookout in the library for books for my daughter and at the same time I'm finding book ideas for my dad.

My daughter is a keen reader of Anthony Horowitz - she's read all the Alex Ryders (plus seen the film) and the Raven's Gate books. She also enjoys Garth Nix, Philip Pullman, and Eion Colfer (sp), so these might be writers you'd enjoy Nici if you enjoy Anthony Horowitz.

We have all the above in our house too Judy! Read by eldest Philip over the last few years. Haven't been tempted myself yet but I did take Philip to see 'His Dark Materials' at the South Bank 2 years ago (6 hours!) and enjoyed it immensely.

Doodoo-doodoo (spooky music lol) I like exactly the same authors!! And it's Eoin. Pronounced Owen, it's a bit weird, innit? It's Irish. I went to see him with my school; he's really funny. I went to see Malorie Blackman too. (the next year)

• 3 weeks later...

I received a copy of the new one, Night Rise, from the publisher in the post. I've read all the Alex Rider books (which I love) but Ravens Gate hadn't really appealed to me until the freebie! I really enjoyed it but, like Kell, not enough to actively go and find the rest just yet.

If anyone wants my copy of Night Rise, PM me and I will send it to you for the cost of postage.

• 5 weeks later...

I like Horowitz's Alex Ryder and The Power of Five books. I've also read his first novel for adults, "The Killing Joke". I didn't like it at first; the humour seemed a bit forced, but after a while I found I'd really got into it and was enjoying it. This is a book for adults, by the way, so don't let the young Horowitz fans get hold of it!

I've read Raven's Gate - and I have the first book of the Alex Rider series ready and waiting to be read.

I thought Raven's Gate was okay - not the kind of book you thing WOW at though. I'm not racing to by the next one, but I probably will read it at some point. Might see if I can get it from the library if I dare venture to the kids section without looking silly... hehe. The writing style felt a bit formulated and y'know... nothing original.

In fact, it wasn't amazingly original to start with. The descriptions of people and stuff were all so stereotypical in a way. Like the mad red haired chemist guy with thick nerdy glasses. Maybe he was trying to portray the stereotype quite obviously to seem too weird but...

And the way Dravin, was it? Well one of the characters pressed his hands together and rested his chin on his finger tips thoughtfully - it just feels a bit - unoriginal in style and predictable.

Good story and entertaining though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Can't believe I haven't posted in this thread before! I'm a huge fan of the Alex Rider series. I started reading them about 5 years ago, when Ark Angel had just come out, and I read the first six books in the series one after the other in the space of about 10 days. There's something about Alex's reluctant attitude, but incredible bravery, mixed in with the exciting thrills of a spy story that I just love.

I'm so excited that the next book Scorpia Rising is out next Thursday, although I'm a little sad that it is the last in the series, but Horowitz has always said he would end the series while Alex was still a teenager so that the books were still about a child in a mans world, and I'm glad he's sticking to that. It will be interesting to see how the story concludes, but I think I might go back and read that previous book, Crocodile Tears again to remind me how it finished, before I get to Scorpia Rising next weekend.

I'm so excited that the next book Scorpia Rising is out next Thursday, although I'm a little sad that it is the last in the series, but Horowitz has always said he would end the series while Alex was still a teenager so that the books were still about a child in a mans world, and I'm glad he's sticking to that.

Oh, I haven't thought about this for ages and now it's coming out! I'll be sure to buy it, I'm excited about reading it. It's been a while since I read the last book, and I haven't re-read the series that much, so I always forget what's happened a bit - but the books are still so enjoyable. I almost don't want it to end well for Alex because...much as he's always wanted to return to being a "normal teenager" it's difficult to imagine that happening.

• 1 month later...