London 2012 Paralympics

Raven

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tickets are still available for the closing ceremony Karen (if you live close enough and can get home - sadly we don't). The corporate sponsors are selling off some of their unwanted ones though, so you might be lucky as we were - they seem to go on sale around 6pm each night. I am hoping we might be able to get a day pass for the Olympic park so that we can see that in the morning before we go to the Excel for the Volleyball - it will be worth doing this even if we can;t get into the stadium, as once the games are over the park will be closed for at least a year, and all that wonderful energy and atmosphere will be gone.

For those that are interested, I have managed to sort out my basketball pictures and some of the best ones can be seen here.

Wish I could see that Parade, it sounds wonderful and like you say, a great photo opportunity.

Edited by Talisman

Tickets are still available for the closing ceremony Karen (if you live close enough and can get home - sadly we don't). The corporate sponsors are selling off some of their unwanted ones though, so you might be lucky as we were - they seem to go on sale around 6pm each night

For those that are interested, I have managed to sort out my basketball pictures and some of the best ones can be seen here.

Thanks for the information. As I live in Spain, I'm not close enough to get tickets :( . However, your photos really give a sense of the excitement of Games. They're brilliant.

Loving the games but not liking the coverage much [...] Some of the pundits seem not quite on it .. [...] .. they seem like startled rabbits whenever the coverage comes back .. even lovely Clare is flustered .. [...] (and I love Jo Rowsell's input .. she's great).

Agree with all of this, it's been a bit amateurish (but, when compared to the BBC's marvelous coverage of the Olympics, I think that was always going to be the case). It seems every time I switch over it's talking heads sitting around a table in a garishly coloured studio. I've seen very little of the actual events on C4 - I've resorted to watching channels 450, 451, 452 on Sky. The commentary is pretty terrible, but it's better than listening to that lot in the studio - plus, no ad breaks!

Agree with all of this, it's been a bit amateurish (but, when compared to the BBC's marvelous coverage of the Olympics, I think that was always going to be the case). It seems every time I switch over it's talking heads sitting around a table in a garishly coloured studio. I've seen very little of the actual events on C4 - I've resorted to watching channels 450, 451, 452 on Sky. The commentary is pretty terrible, but it's better than listening to that lot in the studio - plus, no ad breaks!

I have become increasingly frustrated at the fragmented way that Channel 4 have divided its coverage of each event. They have hardly shown Dressage, you're lucky if you see 1-2 horses compete, before they either cut to a break or another sport! Also, although sometimes the discussions the panel have had are interesting, I think that there has been far too much talking and not enough action.

:I-Agree::she::yeahthat: ......wheelchair rugby on red button channel at 2pm today...that might be worth a look in....

shuffle bum volleyball on at the moment!

Edited by Inver

:I-Agree::she::yeahthat: ......wheelchair rugby on red button channel at 2pm today...that might be worth a look in....

I'm definitely going to be watching the wheelchair rugby. It's such an exciting sport.

Looking forward to seeing the mens final live on Saturday - I am one of the lucky ones who managed to get tickets ! Still trying to get an Olympic pass - I will be hovering around my computer at 6pm which is when any spare tickets are normally released !

I haven't got Sky :( I do think it's improved a bit now .. though the ads are still driving me nuts (and I hate the studio). I'm really liking Jonathan and Daraine and Clare and Ade (nice to see Mark Foster back too :wub:) but Georgie is driving me nuts in the afternoon and I'm not Rob Walker's greatest fan either. I quite enjoy Adam Hills' late night programme too when I catch it .. a bit silly but loads of fun and he's a great anchorman.

It's all so inspiring though .. every day I'm just blown away and it's wonderful to see the crowds being just as large and just as supportive.

Coran and I unfortunately missed out on the swimming tickets that were briefly available for tomorrow morning (damn those capcha phrases which are so unreadable), but have the Mens Sitting Volleyball to look forward to tomorrow at the Excel Arena. It will be another long day - we have to leave before 9am to get there by 11.30am for the obligatory security check and to make sure we can get some lunch. Having googled Excel Arena and gluten free, I am satisfied that there will be something for us ! I certainly hope so as it doesn't finish until 8pm and we may not get home with the crowds and everything until 11pm.

On that note, I had better go and charge my camera battery.

Edited by Talisman

Isn't it all just utterly fantastic? Last night was phenomenal in particular .. it was Super Saturday all over again .. only it was Thursday :D

Have a great time at the volleyball June. I hate those captcha phrases too .. they do my head in.

Coran and I had a fantastic time last night - it was definately one that I will remember. It was touch and go as to whether we would make it in to the Arena as on the journey up in the morning, Coran started to feel nauseus and shaky. Thankfully the amazing helpers in the medical room sorted us out, and after an hour or so in the dark room with some reassurance from the Doctor and her helpers, Coran felt well enough to go inside. Our seats were at the end of the aisle which helped, as it meant that we could wander in and out without disturbing people.

We had a brilliant view though of the pitch, only about 5 rows back, and the crowds were incredible, if rather noisy - especially the Iranians for the Gold medal match.The first match was Egypt versus Brazil, which Brazil won, and then it was the bronze medal decider between Russia and Germany. It was incredibly close, and by the third set it really looked as if Russia were going to win, but the Germans managed to pull things back and in the end, although it was still close, they won. Sadly we we had gone out for a walk and so missed the actual moment, but the gold match was of course the most important. I don't think anything would have got me out of the Arena for that one.

I have never seen so many Iranians (or Bosnians for that matter) in one place, other than Iran (or Bosnia) - waving huge flags and chanting, blowing their horn type things (I am surprised they let them bring them in), with the women in their colourful hijabs. It was lovely to see such scenes of celebration, cheering on their teams. Every time Iran scored, they got louder and louder.

This was a a very close match as well, like the Bronze Medal - we did go outside a few times when the noise became too much, and for a cup of tea just to keep going. We were sitting down drinking our tea when Coran spotted a games maker with a Paralympic Torch by the Manderville statue, so we went over to investigate amd he took our picture with us holding it - a real live torch ! When we got back inside, the crowd were at fever pitch, with Bosnia in the lead. It seemed that every time Bosnia scored, the Iranians would then get another one, evening things out. This seemed to the scene for most of the game until almost the end of the third set, which went to Bosnia. The Bosnians went wild, as it meant that they were in with a chance - if Iran had won the first three, then they would have got the gold. The final set was so close, it was electrifying, but when it got to the point where Bosnia had a 6 point lead, I think everyone knew what the outcome would be, and they swept to victory.

Having stayed for this long, we had to stay for the victory ceremony. By this time my camera battery was threatening to run out (I had already used up by first one, having taken almost 800 pictures - thank goodness for sport and burst mode). I had to be very selective then over what I took in those final moments, but thankfully the battery did keep firing, and I managed to get another 100 or so shots.

I suppose I shall have to go through them now though and sort out the best. That can wait for another few days though. By the time we got in it was almost 11.30pm, and it had been a VERY long day - long, but so very worthwhile. We will pay for it over the next day or so, especially Coran, but it was worth every single moment to say that we were part of history and witnessed one of the finest sporting events I have ever seen. In a little over 12 hours it will all be over - I am now seriously considering a trip to Rio !

Edited by Talisman

So glad you had a great time June. I'm feeling a bit sad again that it is all coming to an end. All lthe paralymic athletes are heroes in my eyes win or lose just getting there is such a great achievement for them all....well done everyone....and all the volunteers etc.

We were sitting down drinking our tea when Coran spotted a games maker with a Paralympic Torch by the Manderville statue, so we went over to investigate amd he took our picture with us holding it - a real live torch !

How brilliant! I'm glad that you both had a great day :smile: . I'm wondering what I am going to do, when this all ends!? When is the Winter Olympics/Paralympics?