Who is (or are) your favorite writer?

Reader

My Favourite by fair is Tess Gerritsen. She is seriously talented, and so versatile! I also adore Maeve Binchey (This is like chalk and cheese!) but she was an amazing writer, who wrote proper stories, with morals and foundations!

Lou x

• 2 weeks later...

This means only Chick Lit writers are considered, right? Since it's in that subforum. Well, can't say I read a lot of the genre, but Alexandra Potter's writing kept me interested for a while. It's fluent and entertaining, especially Be Careful What You Wish For.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would say Mike Gayle, but that is probably he writes from a guys point of view so I find it easier to relate to. My wife on the other hand loves Sophie Kinsella and Louise Bagshawe, which always makes the stocking fillers at Christmas easy, although I do struggle to keep up with which ones she has! Being a man, I normally get it wrong! :)

• 1 month later...

My favourite author actually changes dependant on my mood I suppose. I'll give anything a try, and if I like a certain book I'll look out others written by the same author,and sometimes that can be my favourite author for a little while. It just changes all the time :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

She might be out of date but I like Danille Steel. The first book I ever read of hers was The Promise and it hooked me to her.

Another favorite of mine is Catherine Cookson.

I've really enjoyed reading Salley Vicker's books which include Mr Golightly's Holiday, The Other Side of You, Miss Garnet's Angel and Dancing Backwards. I found her a very intelligent and intuitive writer. She trained as a Jungian psychotherapist which I'm sure has given her a lot of insight into human nature.

Another older writer I've always enjoyed is Mary Wesley. Her characters are usually rather bohemian and unconventional, much like she was.

My favourite author has to be Ali Smith.  I've loved every single book she's written, and Girl Meets Boy is my favourite book ever.  Her short stories are stunning, but the most wonderful aspect I find in her writing, is often the sense of joy.  Not all of her books are joyous, but Girl Meets Boy is the most glowing example I've ever read.

• 1 month later...

I am searching a new writer to read, and for this motive i would like know your favorite writer...thanks

Have you tried the work of Egyptian author, Adhaf Soueif? Amongst other titiles, she has collections of short stories in Sandpiper, and I also love her great love story set between London and Egypt in 1900 The Map of Love

I know I'm a man, but most of the fiction I enjoy is written by women.  My favourites are (alphabetically) Jane Austen, Sarah Dunant, Margaret Elphinstone and Virginia Woolf.  Donna Leon tops my crime fiction list, whilst I also love the one book wonders, Harper Lee and Emily Bronte.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I am new to this Forum. I discovered UK author Carole Matthews last year and I think she is a wonderful author. Has anybody else discovered this author? It's a pity the bookshops here in Melbourne Australia don't stock any of her books, I discovered her books in our local Public Library.

I read two books by her, For Better, for Worse (translated in Dutch) and Let's Meet on Platform 8. At the time of reading them I didn't really like them a lot, to be honest. I have one book by her left on the shelf, Summer Daydreams. I guess we all like different things. Maybe upon re-reading them I'll appreciate them more, I'm not sure (I read them before I read a lot of adult chick-lit, I hadn't discovered the fun of the genre).