What is the one thing that makes you enjoy/not enjoy a book?

Difficult question I think! But, since I have been reading books recommended on here I ahve begun to realise what it is that makes me enjoy or not enjoy a book. Maybe I'll have the confidence to stop reading a book I am not enjoying now!

For me, it is empathy with the main character that is most important.

How about you?

For me, it is empathy with the main character that is most important.

I think there are a number of essential things that have to be right.

Main character very important. Im not enjoying my current book much and I think im not relating to the characters.

But I also need the right amount of pace and good use of language.

I think there a whole lot of parameters that go into making a book enjoyable and its the combination of them all that has to be just right. Its very difficult to nail down what makes the recipe just right from all those complex ingredients.

But yes characters are probably the ultimate key and the most important thing for me.

It doesn't have to be the main character for me - so long as I can identify with one of the characters that features quite heavily (it's quite often the best friend or sidekick that makes it for me).

When it comes to writing styles, I often have difficulty with present tense, whether it's first or third person, but if I "get on with" the characters, and am enjoying the story itself, then I can sometimes get past that (like I did with Esme Lennox).

I'm also not one for swathes of description - I like to know what things look/taste/smell/sound/feel like, but if it's pages and pages of it (like with Tolkien), I lose the thread of the story and end up not persevering with it - it's just too much.

On top of all that, if characters don't get given names (as with Moll Flanders and Unspeakable Things - or whatever that book was called again), I get really angry. Possibly because I hate it when people don't remember MY name - it's like the author couldn't be bothered giving their characters names - almost as if they felt it wasn't worth it, and therefore the characters themselves are unworthy of my attention.

If relationships are "real" and don't run smoothly, that's a bonus for me - when things go perfectly and everything works out where they "all live happily ever after", I always feel that's a cop-out, as nothing is ever perfect - relationships always need work. A writer who can make that work will always engage my interest.

I have a weird thing about print size and spacing. Certain books will put me off because of that and I won't enjoy it as much. There are times when I will read a paperback edition of a book that I wouldn't touch as a hardback.

I remember once borrowing an Ann Widdecombe book from the library, it was terrible - I didnt get past the second chapter. Her writing was juvenile and totally unrealistic - I couldn't continue :D

One of my favorite things is .... descriptions of food!

I like a story that makes me hungry or want to go find a certain food. Some authors are great at wrapping bits of the tale around a meal.

The current book I'm reading, X-Rated Bloodsuckers by Mario Acevedo (it's about vampires) has kinda gross descriptions - mostly about casually adding blood to everyday food. Ew. Goat's blood on nachos ... ack, I won't be eating nachos for a month!

"Coffee, Type O, no cream, one sugar" .... ew, ew, ew!

Rats in a blender for fajitas! Good God, is this author grossing me out for fun? Argh!

I have a weird thing about print size and spacing. Certain books will put me off because of that and I won't enjoy it as much. There are times when I will read a paperback edition of a book that I wouldn't touch as a hardback.

I remember once borrowing an Ann Widdecombe book from the library, it was terrible - I didnt get past the second chapter. Her writing was juvenile and totally unrealistic - I couldn't continue :D

I'm the same about print size and the general look of a book and will choose certain publishers even if their copy is more expensive.

Was the Ann Widdecombe book the one set in France in the war - if so I had the same experience!

For me a good book is one in which you have empathy for the characters - it's important that you care what happens to them (usually that's what keeps you reading on). I like description that strikes the right balance - too much is no good but some writers like Hardy, Dickens and Zola write in such a way that the descriptions make the books more evocative and particularly with Hardy some of the descriptive passages stay in your mind for ages after. It's good also to not be able to work out too soon what the outcome will be - I love to be kept guessing and I love unexpected twists.

There are lot's of reasons for me. I enjoy fantasy books like Tolkien and Harry Potter because I feel I can escape into a different world. The Vampire's Seduction and Frank Perretti's THis Present Darkness also have this element, although the latter is more real as it deals with human manipulation by good vs evil in the form of angels and demons. Some books like Empress Orchid and The Heavenly Man are interesting because of the culture element. Reading books like Susan Howatch's Heartbreaker, Karma and also with Empress Orchid, I identified with the character.

At the moment I am reading the mIst Over Pendle and I only like it because it is about the place where I live. The book is rather slow and a bit boring..

I need a book which can keep my attention. I don't like slow books or books that don't have that "oomph". This is why I tend to read crime, horror, historical and thrillers as they keep me interested..

I am hard to please :D

I couldn't finish my post as the baby was crying..

I usually need a book that has something to say for itself. I tend to go for fantasy because apart from escaping, I can be hard to please. To really love a book it has to say something to me and also be a little intellectual (either that or get inside my head).

I can't stand books where the characters are stupid/dippy or just unbelievable. It drives me up the wall. I also don't like it when it feels like the author is "trying too hard" to be a creative writer, if you know what I mean; it just rings false.

Books that I enjoy are usually quite fast paced, and with a good story. It doesn't matter too much what it is about, but I do find crime novels or thrillers easier to read.

I also get influenced by font type - I once tried reading a Large Print book, but I just couldn't read it because the words were too big. :D

I couldn't finish my post as the baby was crying..

I usually need a book that has something to say for itself. I tend to go for fantasy because apart from escaping, I can be hard to please. To really love a book it has to say something to me and also be a little intellectual (either that or get inside my head).

I can agree with that.

I'm not so sure how much character is a factor, from my experience people tend to put it up as one of the fundamental things, but for me the best character I have encountered in a book was Henry Morgan (Cup of Gold), and admittedly I have not read too many, but I would say that the book was good but just because it had a good character didn't take it up to that special place in the sky or whatever.

I think that you need a certain level of character there, but once they get to a certain level it doesn't really make much difference past that.

The book I am reading at the moment is quite annoying. There are lots of abbreviations to naming the various legal and police departments, even the main characters name is C.J!!! And the main murder suspect is called LBJ!! I keep having to flick back through the book to remind my self who is who and what they do.On page 12 alone there are seven of these abbreviations alone ;MBPD, BOLOs, FCIC, AC,IA and so on.

I will carry on reading though, because behind this mass of letters there is quite a good story going on!!

A book has to suck me in within the first 10 pages. If I have to work hard to get into it then that stops me enjoying it.

Lately I've come across a couple of books where the back cover blurb looked good, but when I opened the book it was written in dialect. I couldn't enjoy those

Enjoyment comes from a good story well told no matter what the genre

A book which makes me feel like I am there, when nothing else can get in your way. Not all books do that. Most, I enjoy but not all grab me.

I don't know why, it's how its written - I suppose. And the characters and the world. I don't think there's one thing as it all depends on the author. I must say the main part is the characters. That's the problem with the book I'm reading now. The characters feel wooden and all they do is talk. The writing is quite good, but the characters are unimportant really in my opinion. He just seems to enjoy writing unnatural conversations.

Not enjoying books - um. Again it's hard to put a finger on it. Bad characterisation, plot's too slow with nothing to make up. Bad writing. To sentimental.

• 2 years later...

I get angry with an author that is lazy in his or her portrayal of the main character - whether that character is likeable or not. Give us some substance, I say, whether it is good or bad.

I just finished The Man from Beijing by Henning Mankell (and I continue my rant here after posting a bad review) and his main character is simply just tired. Good grief, it was tiresome to read about her. Okay, he did develop another characteristic: she is dumb as a stump. Urrrgggh :D

I love books that teach me something through its plot or its characters; books that make me think and consider; books that have characters whom I shall miss when I am done reading a book.