Harry Harrison

Raven

• 10 years later...

So, a few years late, I have found a forum to post some ideas.....

I have been a stainless steel rat fan for decades....

In fact it was a boyfriend of my sister who first gave me the book 'Stainless Steel Rat', and as I child I read every one of Harry Harrison's books I could.

I find it quite upsetting that Arthur C Clarke was given the status of 'developing' geostationary satellites when Harry Harrison had advanced communication, video calling, electric vehicles, internet, and many other 'things' that we now consider normal, but were truly innovative when he wrote about them. 

As an author he was fantastic, as a view of the future, he was both a troubling and a celebratory visionary.

And as a writer he was one of the very best. He could write about paint drying and it should have been a best seller.

My biggest regret is that I never got to meet him. I never got to shake the sacred hand that wrote the future. I never got to speak to him.

For those how have never read about the Stainless Steel Rat (Remembering that Jim wrote his books as fiction) it is a series now on Audible, as well as ebooks, and for those really old fashioned people, you can even get printed books, but I guess Jim would not approve of those. 

Whichever media you choose, just read/listen and give thanks for Harry....

• Like 1