About Darrin Drader

Darrin Drader

Greetings!

I'm Darrin Drader, and I don't just love books and reading, but I'm also a professional author. I'm primarily interested in heroic fantasy and science fiction, but I'll branch out and read other genres when I see something that catches my eye.

I love Star Trek books. I've always enjoyed them, but more recently, I feel that the franchise has been recharged in novels thanks to the Next Generation relaunch, which now includes Destiny and Typhon Pact series. My favorite Trek authors are David Mack, Peter David, and Keith Decandido.

In fantasy, I tend to follow the Forgotten Realms authors more than independent authors, so I'm pretty jazzed about Paul Kemp, Ed Greenwood, Elaine Cinningham, and Bruce Cordell. Of course, I have to also mention R. A. Salvatore, who I've been reading since I was fifteen years old. Due to my recently completed work on the Kingdoms of Amalur, I've had the pleasure of collaborating both with him and his sons.

On to me... I know that a million and one authors come here to promote themselves, I'll join in and give you the obligatory run down of my writing career. My current releases include the my original novel Echoes of Olympus (actually, it will be current in the very near future), and I've also been working on a series of episodic fiction called Heroes of Gracia (The Vacant Forge, Thunder at Aridas, and Season of Storms - with more to come). Heroes of Gracia is self published to the Kindle, but Echoes is through a publisher, and there are a couple of tie-in novels I'm working on. I started writing in 2000, focusing on Dungeons and Dragons and other roleplaying games, where I co-authored The Book of Exalted Deeds, which was one of the top selling D&D books from the last ten years. In addition to that, I've worked on Forgotten Realms, Oathbound, Reign of Discordia, Interface Zero, Pathfinder, and others. My intention is to continue to not just work on self published works, but also to write tie-in books for IPs that interest me.

In addition to this, I founded the Monumental Works Group, which is a bunch of mostly speculative fiction writers who are also following somewhat of an unorthodox approach to publishing. We come from gaming, academia, and professional editors and writing.

So, how's everyone doing?

I haven't read Jack Vance, though he's been recommended a number of times. I honestly end up reading a lot more fiction by authors I know personally, which of course means tie-in fiction. I'm absolutely not opposed to giving him a try once I get through the current queue of books.