Ever really wanted to enjoy a book but . . . haven't?

Hey guys,

I'm currently reading Mogworld by Yahtzee Crowshaw and I was so excited to read it as I'd heard good things and enjoy Yahtzee's online Zero Punctuation series on video games. So once I got hold of a copy, I couldn't wait to read it. However when I did, I found myself not enjoying when I thought I would and really wanted to. It's upset me a little as I don't think I've experienced a book like that before. I haven't finished it yet though I'm about 70 or so pages away from the end so there's still hope :)

So I was just wondering if any of you guys have experienced this with a book before?

Yeah, it's really annoying! I heard so many great opinions and views of this book. So I decided to try it as it sounded really exciting. I was rather disappointed when I actually read it though. But I hate starting a book and leaving it because it just doens't feel right :/

Yeah, it's really annoying! I heard so many great opinions and views of this book. So I decided to try it as it sounded really exciting. I was rather disappointed when I actually read it though. But I hate starting a book and leaving it because it just doens't feel right :/

This is the problem I'm having, I can't leave the book unfinished and just move on to something else, like you said, it doesn't feel right. It's taken me so long to read Mogworld which isn't an overly long book.

Mind has to be 'Room' I had had it highly recommended, but I don'd do 'abuse' book, and although it is not graphic (up to the point i got to anyway) I find that I just could not read it. It knocked me completely sick, and I never want to see it again.

Lou x

For me, it was And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. It was my first Christie, and I was really hoping I would love it, as it would open up the world of a whole new (prolific) author to me, but although it was okay, that was all I felt it was, and I just wasn't inclined to read another of her books after that.

• 4 weeks later...

That would be "Gardens of the Moon" by Steven Erikson for me. I keep trying to enter his series but fail every time, I don't know why! I really want to enjoy this series so badly because it has some awesome reviews and its covers and book names are just too irresistible but I simply fail.

I felt like this about Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantle, everyone who had read it that I knew had really enjoyed it and recommended it to me as they know that I love historical fiction. I hated it, I persevered for 100 pages but just did not relate to the story and just hated it.

The first time I didn't finish a book was when I read Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe. I got to 80 pages, but then had to give up. This book had been loved by so many, and I just couldn't get into it! I think I was probably 10 years old, but I'm not sure. I felt disappointed with myself, felt like I had somehow done something wrong.

The second time I had this was when I was 18, with Philip Roth's The Human Stain. The synopsis really appealed to me and it had been recommended to me by my Dutch teacher at the time. I looked forward to reading it, but it was a struggle from page one. I couldn't connect to the story at all, and it wasn't nearly well-paced or intriguing enough for me to get over that lack of connection. I also have a huge problem with both books and films where a young woman will fall head over heels in love with a grumpy and rude man who is much older than them. So that was a big disappointment.

After that second time, there's been a few books I haven't finished. Before, I'd always go through because I'd feel guilty if I didn't. I still feel guilty when I do this, but I can get over it enough to just go on with the next book.