Guy's POV

Lydia

The Bartimaeus series comes to mind. You can kind of get a coming of age sort of thing, the first book begins when the main character is 5 or so, last book ends at like 18. Would fall under YA fantasy as well, I would think. They're really great books too, a lot of depth to them despite being aimed at younger audiences.

The Saga of Darren Shan is something I will never cease to recommend. Male perspective, vampires, fun, dark, lots of action, lots of character moments. Overall it is excellent and something you should definitely read.

Oh, and though it's not a Young Adult book, Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is from a male perspective, though it's more so from the perspective of someone with Asperger's Syndrome. Excellent book. Brilliant story that keeps you going throughout and wonderfully written.

They're really great books too, a lot of depth to them despite being aimed at younger audiences.

I'm sorry, but some of the most in depth and insightful books out there seem to be aimed at younger audiences. I swear. I think it comes from the fact that it's an important time in people's development as a person and helps younger people think more about the world as a whole, as well as helping them connect more so with characters. Just my opinion, though :D

Sounder, Shiloh, and Maniac Magee are some of the YA books I read recently - all three with a boy as the protagonist, and all three Newbury Award winners.

They are wonderful reads - though none of them of the fantasy genre.

Sounder and Shiloh explore beautifully the relationship between boy and dog, while Maniac Magee is a fantastic book which deals with issues of homelessness and racism.

some of the most in depth and insightful books out there seem to be aimed at younger audiences. I swear. I think it comes from the fact that it's an important time in people's development as a person and helps younger people think more about the world as a whole, as well as helping them connect more so with characters. Just my opinion, though :D

I agree - I find that I can never go wrong with a Children/YA Classic - I'm in awe at how much beauty, wisdom and entertainment they can pack with the simplest of story-lines.

Have you read ' The Dresden Files' by Jim Butcher.

The first book is a little slow but after that I thoroughly enjoyed them.

All told from the view point of Harry Dresden, the only practising wizard in the Yellow Pages.

Oh man, I really want to read these books. I came across them recently and they sounded just up my alley :D

Just thought: if you like graphic novels then The Alcoholic by Jonathan Ames is brilliant. Not YA, but it's still great.

I really would recommend them.

I notice you are reading The Hunger Games too, I have not long finished them :smile:

I'll definitely get round to them at some point.