Argon, A Basic Introduction.

Argon9

Well, now I've finally made my way trough the forum all the way down here I think It will be time to introduce myself. I'm Argon and trough the years I've become to suspect that I just might be the last of my kind. I'm one of those kids who partly lived in the towns library and now relies on the books others trow away. Yes, I've spend some wonderful Saturday afternoons defrosting some books I found in a skip with my sisters hairdryer. (I almost electrocuted myself with the damned thing and spend the rest of the day figuring out how to get the power back online). I do not know anyone who has done any reading outside the school assignments and is still under the 25 years of age. (with one exception, but she got a masters in literature)I guess that most "90ties" kids got the tv to keep them busy.

And that is how I got to join the forum.

Nice to meet you.

Tank you for your warm welcome everyone :D

I'm already glad not to be told to shut up when I want to talk about, or comment on, a book I've just read.

Everything really. I've read a lot of fantasy though I'm slowly moving past that after the genre has become rather repetitive. There are so many writers who want to be just like Tolkien that it gets annoying. Besides that, everything with fun or believable characters that are not too dimwitted and with a story that is not to slow paced and decetly written prose I will pick up. Even without those factors I will pick up a book sometimes. I remember reading books purely because I liked the title and I've had this period I refused to read books that had less then 500 pages. To be honest, I'm still no great fan of short stories since I read them like one would eat a snack. They are good but not very satisfying. If I have to chose between a snack and a 5 turn meal I would go for the latter. I do, however, make an exception for Sherlock Holmes and the dark stories of Poe.

What kind of books do you like?

I have read all the time for years, fitting it in between video games and TV and films. Don't know how I manage :P But you are not alone, my friend. Read. share those opinions, no matter how... opinionated.

To be honest, I'm still no great fan of short stories since I read them like one would eat a snack. They are good but not very satisfying. If I have to chose between a snack and a 5 turn meal I would go for the latter.

Totally made me think of this video (14:15-14:53) when I read that (There are some swear words in this video. A lot, actually. Only one in the section I give though).

But I do like some short stories. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream is one of my favourite stories and I remember reading a fair few for my English GCSE that were great.

As for short books Animal Farm is dear to me. My copy is only 90 pages, but it's one of the greatest pieces of literature I own. Seriously amazing.

Also, a fan of noble gases are we? Or is there another reason your username has "Argon" in it? :P

Edited by Lord Napsack

Totally made me think of this video (14:15-14:53) when I read that (There are some swear words in this video. A lot, actually. Only one in the section I give though).]

But I do like some short stories. I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream is one of my favourite stories and I remember reading a fair few for my English GCSE that were great.

Oh god... castlevania, that game drove me to tears in frustration and got me cross eyed staring at that tiny screen for to long. That game drove me half insane. The guy in the video is right I suppose, assuming that games are pretty much the same as books just different. I've not played nearly enough games to be sure ^,^ I'll remember "I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream", If I ever come across it I will read it.

Also, a fan of noble gases are we? Or is there another reason your username has "Argon" in it? :P

Argon is a nickname I got from something quite a bit nerdier then just love for the periodic table. There is an amino acid called Arginine and at one point in my biochemistry studies we had to know the structures and properties of the 20 most common amino-acids. (among other things) In the exam they showed us pictures of several acids with the question "name these amino acids" my mind went blank (as usual when I really HAVE to remember something.) I could only recall that the last one had something to do with Argon. In a fit of silly desperation and only 3 more minutes on the clock I gave every acid the first name that came up in my head. They ended up being called "Dave" "Gorge" "Steve" "Dumbledore" "Bob" and "Elvis Presley". Arginine was last on the list with pictured formulas and the only one I kind of knew the name of. So in the last second before the end of the exam I scribbled down "ARGON9".

A few days later we had to make an account on the universities new forum and a friend, who had by then heard of my stupid test answers, had made me almost famous at campus for it. He suggested to take it as an username and I did. I've been using it, and variations on it, ever since :D

Edited by Argon9

Oh god... castlevania, that game drove me to tears in frustration and got me cross eyed staring at that tiny screen for to long.

So much love for Castlevania. It hates you, but you can't help but love it, even though you are grinding your teeth to oblivion playing it.

Also, the story about Argon 9 is amazing. I love it! :D

What a coincidence L-Arginine is my favourite protein :D

I too have a favourite protein: Titin. This is thanks to the structure, size, genetics and the length of the full name.

I've read about Titin. It was in a footnote somewhere in my school literature. It has something to do with muscle contraction I believe. I did not know its name was this insanely long though.

• 3 weeks later...