The Gaming Box

Hayley

I didn't know about that game before your post, it looks cool. Its gameplay seems old, do you agree with it or does it use/introduce recent mechanics? 

I've started Monster Hunter Tri last night. It has a slow start, with a lot of aspects being introduced and already a good share of exploration and resource management. I'm liking it so far, it plays fairly well with the wiimote. However, I fear camera problems in frantic battles, perhaps that's one reason for the classic controller.

Edit: What sites do people here visit about gaming? I'm a bit out of touch.

Edited by Sousa

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well it's the sequel to Defense Grid: The Awakening, which was released in 2008. It's a tower defense game, I guess in that sense it is an older genre as one of the first occurances happened as a secret bonus level of Warcraft III (early 2000 I believe). I personally quite like this genre and have played several TD games. Defense Grid 2 and also the first one, were developed by Hidden Path Entertainment, they are not a big triple-A studio, they are smaller, I don't know if it'd be called an 'indie' studio or not. There are various TD games around, though often the basic premise is the same, you have to defend your 'base' from enemies by placing towers at certain positions. Have you ever played any tower defense games?

I have to say that I found Defense Grid 2 didn't introduce a whole lot of new mechanics compared with the first game, but the main change was the addition of booster towers / platforms, a platform you can build which you can either use to redirect the aliens' path (instead of having to build a more expensive tower) or you can build a tower on top of it, and then you can choose from available upgrades to make your tower better (for money). I thought this was a nice addition, as this way you can make the towers either do more damage, see stealth (this could be a problem in the previous game) or increase your score (this isn't important unless you like to get the medals, but I used it sometimes because why not).

I used to read quite a few video games websites, but not since about two years. I can tell you which ones I used to read if you give me some time to look in my bookmarks, but I no longer read these websites so I don't know if they're still good or not. It also depends on what type of games you're interested in or what systems as some websites I read were for example only for PC games.

I hope you enjoy Monster Hunter Tri :).

I always assumed positioning towers and defenses was a strategic element of gameplay, but I didn't know it was a standalone genre. I think I never played a game wholly dedicated to it. I visit Eurogamer.net for reviews and articles, /r/games as a news aggregator and Gamerankings.com to look for a particular game; I'm mostly interested in consoles. I also watch Angry Video Game Nerd and Extra Credits on Youtube. I think I'm fairly covered, I'm just curious about what others read or watch because it might be more interesting or just different. I'm playing MHTri as I write, now I've faced some different creatures that are fast but still fragile. It will take some time yet to get to the real action, as I'm still being introduced to different things, but the gameplay just got better.

Edited by Sousa

I used to follow Eurogamer and Extra Credits. I also read Rock Paper Shotgun which is about PC games. I also read Epic Battle Axe but no more new content is released there (they had a podcast (with video later on) called Epic Battle Cry). I also followed Game Critics. I listened to Cynical Brit / TotalBiscuit. There was also Angry Joe. There was also the Dutch site Bashers but they have stopped. I also read the Dutch magazine PCGameplay, later known as Gameplay, and the British magazine GamesTM. I did read some other Dutch and English game magazines too but those two I had subscriptions on some years ago. I also followed http://negativegamer.tumblr.com/Negative Gamer / Nukezilla[/url] (they changed names) which seems to be located at that URL now, the old one seems dead. I also watched videos on Game Trailers. And there was SavyGamer which sometimes displayed good video game deals. And SarcasticGamer but that site looks completely different now and doesn't seem to contain as much content anymore. I am sure there were a lot more, but based on a quick look at my bookmarks, these were some of the sites I browsed a lot. I don't know how good some of these sites still are, so read them at your own risk. I can only say they were good some years ago.

• 1 month later...

A few months back I contributed to my first Kickstarter, for Shadowrun: Hong Kong.  Got my code and downloaded the game the other day.  Looking forward to playing it, as I loved the previous two games.  Also been playing Fire Emblem: Awakening on 3DS.

My boyfriend and I have been playing it too! I struggled a bit at first but my vault is doing better lately :).

I struggled loads in the beginning. I had to restart many times, but now I'm quite happy with my vault. :boogie:

I ordered a PS4 last night. It'll be here in a few days, but I really just need to concentrate on getting my exams out of the way first!

I'm sold.

I like Pokémon, but such a connected app isn't something I'm interested in I'm sorry to say.

I struggled loads in the beginning. I had to restart many times, but now I'm quite happy with my vault. :boogie:

I ordered a PS4 last night. It'll be here in a few days, but I really just need to concentrate on getting my exams out of the way first!

I'm the same! I'm quite happy with my vault now.

I hope you enjoy your PS4 :).

I hope you enjoy your PS4 :).

Thanks! :smile: It arrived today, so we have been setting it up. I don't have any games for it yet, and probably don't have time to play any until my exams are over in November. But hubby will probably get a few games so at least we can test it before Fallout 4 (which is the game I'm really waiting for).

• 1 month later...

Got the game yesterday. Pretty good, so far, though the settlement building is taking a while for me to grasp. :blush2:  I've just had to look up some tutorials on it as my buildings look a bit wonky. :blush2:

Yeah, the Pip-Boy Edition is massive. I think it's overpriced for what it is, but I'm glad I bought it. I also bought the Collector's Edition of the game guide, but I'll be keeping it in it's wrapping for a while.

I'm always so indecisive with what to do with these games......they are so open ended that you can do anything, but I end up dithering about because I can't choose what to do or where to go. :doh:

Edited by bobblybear

I'm always so indecisive with what to do with these games......they are so open ended that you can do anything, but I end up dithering about because I can't choose what to do or where to go. :doh:

The first time I played Fallout 3, I went from the first real-world town directly to the ship in Rivet City just by exploration and cut across more than half of the game.

I'm like that too!

Michael's enjoying the game so far :).

• 4 weeks later...

I don't game nearly as much as I used to.  For many years I was hugely into point & click adventure gaming, but that interest has fallen away somewhat.  The quality of the new games being released has contributed to that -- there's a lot of cack out there!

I find myself returning to Journey (on the PS3), and wonderful Skyrim.  I never get tired of playing either of these.

I don't game nearly as much as I used to.  For many years I was hugely into point & click adventure gaming, but that interest has fallen away somewhat.  The quality of the new games being released has contributed to that -- there's a lot of cack out there!

I find myself returning to Journey (on the PS3), and wonderful Skyrim.  I never get tired of playing either of these.

I love point and click games, I'm playing Book of Unwritten Tales 2 at the moment (I just got it, it's in a really good sale on gog.com!). So far it seems good, I really liked the first one. The puzzles and combinations of items are actually logical, which is always nice!

I'm making good progress with Fallout 4. I've played about 50 hours but still don't feel like I've scratched the surface. :boogie:

I only just worked out you can put a collar on your dog! :giggle2: I love that there's so much to explore and make though! I do love collecting things in games and Fallout 4 is like collecting paradise :D