Hayley

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty excited for Final Fantasy VII, but it will involved buying either a PS4 or a new laptop powerful enough to run it. Neither is financially viable in my longterm future :lol: Still though. Gonna be awesome.

The Final Fantasy VII remake sounds good! My boyfriend is interested in also Shenmue III, The Last Guardian, Uncharted 4.. He's off now to look at websites for news from E3 :P. We both used to watch the press conferences live once upon a time. But I'm not as much into games anymore. Still, Final Fantasy VII.. I own the original but sadly I never finished it. I played it many years later but got stuck at some point, then never went back. We don't own a PS4 but my boyfriend does want to get one at some point, so then I could play the game (when it's out).

Haha!

My boyfriend is interested in Fallout 4 too. We can't afford the Pip-Boy edition though, and he's not too bothered about not having that edition. I'm sure he'll want to play the game though when it's out, and once we have a PS4 (not that we can really afford that at the moment.. but hopefully by the end of the year). There were quite a few titles for PS4 at E3 that Michael (my boyfriend) said he'd be interested in. Before E3 he was leaning towards also an Xbox One because of Halo, but he didn't really like the Halo trailer (or whatever footage it was, I forgot :doh:). Michael is currently replaying Fallout: New Vegas, I usually sit on the sofa with him and read while he plays and I look at the screen now and then, that way I get a bit of the experience even though it's too tiring for me to play it myself (actually, I played a bit of Fallout 3 but my character kept dying. I don't have the patience I used to so after it happened a couple of times I gave up).

On the other hand, Nintendo was disappointing. This was the moment to show something relevant, but they didn't bother making it on stage and didn't show any major title on their digital conference. Nintendo is already developing a new home console and it seems like they sort of gave up on the Wii-U; Metroid Prime's producer said they would only develop for the new console. I want to buy a PS4, but I'll wait for the slim version. 

The 3DS is really cool and has some interesting games. In a matter of days I'll likely trade a huge pile of games and two consoles in a local store and hopefully it will be enough for the New 3DS XL and maybe one or two games (I'm interested mainly in The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds). I've sent them the list and I'm waiting for their answer. 

My boyfriend has decided he does want the Fallout 4 Pip-Boy edition so he's pre-ordered it now :giggle2:.

We never trade in our old games, for one we love to keep them and two the shops make so much more money off that than the little credit they give. Michael (my boyfriend) is a bit of a collector, he owns quite a few consoles, particularly older ones, as well as a lot of games for those systems.

But I hope you have fun with the 3DS! I really like mine.

At the moment I'm playing Pokémon X, though I realise that's not to everyone's tastes. I like these games though so :shrug:. I have some other games for it too, though most are DS ones. I did play Animal Crossing: New Leaf for a while (the game that came with my 3DS), but it annoyed me that when I didn't play for a couple of days, some of the villagers left. I don't like to be forced by a game to play it every day, so I stopped playing it and I haven't played it since. Kind of a shame, because I was enjoying the game up to then. I might go back to it again at some point.

I've also got some other games, such as Plants vs. Zombies, Dragonquest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies, three Mario games, various Pokémon games, some Professor Layton games, some Final Fantasy remakes, several other RPGs and a few puzzle games. Thinking about this makes me want to go back and play some of these games again :D.

Which games are you getting?

I'm very jealous of people pre-ordering the pip-boy edition of Fallout4! :D  It really did look amazing at E3, I was very excited about building your own settlement... and having a dog :giggle2: . I've been playing the 'Fallout Shelter' app on my phone, which is really addictive but also really making me want to play a real Fallout!

I thought Rise of the Tomb Raider looked great too, and Fable Legends, and Assassin's Creed Syndicate (very excited that it's set in Victorian London)... I think I need to start saving up now!

Which games are you getting?

I'm just focusing on the 3DS, if I look back into DS titles I become confused on what to get. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds has really cool gameplay and level design; I have to know what The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is about; a Professor Layton, a Phoenix Wright, and maybe Pokemon X/Y. I probably won't be able to get all of them at first, I'll ease into it and I'll maybe discover more I want. Bravely Default and Fire Emblem: Awakening seem cool, but I don't have much J-RPG experience.

I'm just focusing on the 3DS, if I look back into DS titles I become confused on what to get. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds has really cool gameplay and level design; I have to know what The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is about; a Professor Layton, a Phoenix Wright, and maybe Pokemon X/Y. I probably won't be able to get all of them at first, I'll ease into it and I'll maybe discover more I want. Bravely Default and Fire Emblem: Awakening seem cool, but I don't have much J-RPG experience.

A lot of those sound / are good, so I hope you enjoy whichever ones you decide to get :).

The Fire Emblem games are fantastic, but they're strategy RPGs rather than the typical J-RPGs like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, more like X-COM but with a full-on story mode.  Character development is a huge part of the games, and the relationships between them have an impact on the combat (i.e. two characters side by side on the map will gain stat boosts if they are 'friends').  Also, it features perma-death, so if your favourite character dies in battle there's no getting them back.  I've played four of the games and loved them all, but then I'm a turn-based strategy fan.

Ocarina of Time is superb.  I've only played it on the Gamecube but I'd imagine it works well on 3DS as it uses a 3D view from behind the character, rather than top-down like A Link Between Worlds. 

I'm really disappointed by what Nintendo are doing with the new 3DS Metroid Federation Force game.  Metroid Prime is my all-time favourite game.  I want more of that, not this rubbish.  I don't know how they could possibly think fans of the series would like this.  The problem is, if it doesn't sell, Nintendo will think it's because nobody wants more Metroid games, rather than because they've royally ****ed it up :rolleyes:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

My boyfriend has played Ocarina of Time on both the N64 and the 3DS, I can confirm it works well on the 3DS too.

I've never played a Metroid game, but it's a shame they're making a mess of the new one :(.

Thanks Karsa Orlong, I've seen more of the game and it has an easier mode for newcomers. The next game, Fire Emblem: Fates, will be released in two versions tomorrow in Japan. Each version has its own storyline, but there's a limited edition featuring both and a third. Nintendo has confirmed the two normal versions will be released in the west next year and the third as a DLC. It was also revealed the games feature same-sex marriage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I finished Donkey Kong Country Returns, a side-scrolling platformer by Retro Studios for the Wii. I found it good, competent in what it does but not overtly imaginative or innovative. The story is non-existent, it has good enough graphics, the level-design is a bit generic but well done. The game seems to have many irrelevant elements; the balloons and keys appeal to old-school gamers, the cut-scenes appeal to children, but I think the game as a whole would flow better without them. A lot of good games have these unnecessary elements, but they didn't bother me before this two-year hiatus.

In other news, I changed my mind about getting a 3DS. I'm still selling the stuff, though.

I tried playing that game but I wasn't too keen on it. It should be said though that I hadn't ever played a Donkey Kong game before, so that probably didn't help. I'm glad you liked it though.

I did play and finish Defense Grid 2 which was enjoyable.