The Gaming Box

Hayley

I've played Ico but I wasn't that keen on it. Looking forward to The Last Guardian.

Oh yes me too, I am super excited about the Last Gaurdian! I only got around to playing ico when I got the hd remake that had both games. I enjoyed it, but it doesn't beat sotc. :D

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh yes me too, I am super excited about the Last Gaurdian! I only got around to playing ico when I got the hd remake that had both games. I enjoyed it, but it doesn't beat sotc. :D

No, I agree. SOTC is just so close to perfection. So many great things about it.

Also, just going to go a bit tangential here and say I am so happy no one has referred to themselves as a "girl gamer". I can't help but despise that term and how it goes against girls finally being accepted as playing games. It's been a long hard struggle, but finally people can accept that them females can play games. Took it's damn time, though.

Oh, and I downloaded Amnesia: The Dark Descent the other day. Not got round to playing it yet, but I plan on making myself power through it. I'm such a scaredy cat when it comes to horror games. If I can get through this then I know I can get through so many games I need to play but haven't because I know I'll be too scared when playing them.

Yeah I still get the "but you're a girl" comments online, I stopped chatting in public games because of that, and some of the remarks I would get, not to mention the many lame pick up lines.

I've been gaming since I was six, my brothers and sisters Atari and Nintendo were my first taste at it. I then went into pc gaming, and came back to consoles when I got the old grey playstation. Haven't looked back since. I'm also looking into building my own pc rig.

I love the silent hill games, so I really want to try my hand at amnesia! I've seen videos of guys playing it, they think they are so tough, but start screaming not long after :giggle:

I've seen videos of guys playing it, they think they are so tough, but start screaming not long after :giggle:

This guy:

He openly admits to being freaking scared and a coward, but still plays through it to toughen himself. I want to do this. It will work, darn it!

Also, at one point he gets so freaked out that he has Michale Jackson songs playing in the background to calm him. It's pretty damn funny.

Yeah I still get the "but you're a girl" comments online, I stopped chatting in public games because of that, and some of the remarks I would get, not to mention the many lame pick up lines.

I've had a few friends get that. But I think it works both ways at times. I was president of the Gaming Society at my university last year and got an email from a person who was doing research or something on 'girl gamers'. By the sounds of it she wanted to find out why there were so few girls that were in to video games and how they felt about being such a minority. I was shocked by this as a fair few of the members were female and I know a lot of girls who play games. This research just sounded like it was attempting to reinforce these stereotypes and I outright refused, saying that there were quite a few girls there who were treated as equals, rather than "Ewwww, girl!"

I've been gaming since I was six, my brothers and sisters Atari and Nintendo were my first taste at it.

I started off with something that looked like the Nintendo Color TV Game, but I really can't remember what it actually was, and the Sega Master System and Megadrive. Which were brilliant. Double Dragon and Sonic the Hedgehog are still great loves of mine, though I don't know where my Segas are, so haven't played them in years, though I do have the Sega Megadrive Collection on the Xbox 360, which has Sonic on it. Then it was to the good old grey Playstation, followed by the PS2, Xbox 360 and PS3. Over the last few years I've had a laptop able to run games, so I've been getting into PC gaming too. Also, handheld consoles were all Nintendo: Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, GBA. I also got a Nintendo DS not too long ago for cheap. It's not too bad, but I'm kinda limited on what I want. Fallen in love with the Ace Attorney games, though.

Ah, video games...

Oh, also, any avid board gamers or RPG players? I've got quite a stack of board games, plus I've been in a fair few role playing campaigns over the last couple of years :D

We had all the board games too, monopoly, payday, cluedo, scrabble, mouse trap, mind trap (anyone remember that?) etc. We also had plenty decks of cards! Sadly though my family no longer have an interest in playing board games. I remember them being very pricey in my day though, I think it cost us around $70 for cluedo at the time.

Board games can be pretty pricey now, depending on what you are after. I've got some for about £10, but they aren't the most in-depth or complex ones, whilst I've seen ones such as Arkham Horror or Battlestar Galactica going for up to £50 in places. You basic Monopoly, Cluedo, etc. will probably be about £15-£30.

Not sure how any of this translated into other currencies, though...

I've not played any games since about January, I think. The last one was Skyrim, which was pretty good. I must confess I get a bit bored with sandbox games, though - I'd just rather not spend all the hours on them that seems to be required, I'd rather have a bit of direction and impetus that gets me through a game start to finish. In sandbox games I tend to get bogged down in doing stuff that bears no relation to the main story at all, and then I get bored and never finish them. I've never finished Skyrim and I doubt I ever will.

My favourite console games of all were Resi 4 and Metroid Prime on the Game Cube. I absolutely loved the MP trilogy, even though the final boss was a bar steward that nearly made me throw the Cube out the window and turned my hands into claws. Must've taken me about 5 hours just to beat the final boss :lol: What a game, though - so atmospheric and honed to perfection. The version of the MP Trilogy that was released with Wii-specific controls was fantastic, such a joy to play those games. I loved the Metroid games that came out for the Gameboy, too: Fusion and Zero Mission.

Prior to that, going back a long time, I fondly remember the first two X-COM games, especially Terror from the Deep. How I used to protect my squad members in that game. I remember I named the two leaders Mulder and Scully :lol: So I liked turn-based strategy games. Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones on Gameboy was another one. And the old Lucasarts graphic adventures were great - I remember playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis on my Amiga ... The first Secret of Monkey Island game was wonderful (is wonderful, still, in the recent HD version).

I didn't feel Skyrim as much as Oblivion. It lacked its charm, I think...

You actually mention a lot of games I haven't played, but really want to, especially the Monkey Island games. I've got into adventure games recently, but they are mostly independent ones, though Telltale make some good ones. The most recent Walking Dead game, for example, or the Back to the Future game.

I also want to try X-Com, but strategy games aren't my forte. I like them, I just really suck at them.

Also, being such a fan of Metroid, did you play Other M? I've heard some really bad things about that game and what I've read about it completely ruins the character of Samus.

Also, being such a fan of Metroid, did you play Other M? I've heard some really bad things about that game and what I've read about it completely ruins the character of Samus.

I started it ... :lol: It was fairly horrible. Nintendo gave the game to Team Ninja and they just made a mess of it. Retro, who made the Prime games, got a handle on what made the old side-scrolling games (like Super Metroid) so good, and transfered it into a first-person perspective. Team Ninja tried to make a combination of the two, and the control scheme was awful. You have to use the remote sideways on for the scrolling bits, then quickly switch to pointing mode for the 3-D bits. Ugh. Plus, as you say, they messed the character up, had her fighting as part of a team and so on. Part of the atmosphere of the previous games was the sense of isolation and exploration, which Team Ninja seemed to miss completely.

I saw that there's a new X-COM game coming out soon. Hopefully it'll be a return to what made the first two games so enjoyable, because the last few releases have been dreadful :doh: The new one certainly looks more in keeping with the spirit of the original two :smile:

http://www.xcom.com/...nown/video1.php

Yeah, you pretty much have summed up everything I've heard about Other M. I think, as with most of his reviews, Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation gets the problems with the game down pretty well: http://www.escapistm...Metroid-Other-M

I saw recently that there was that new X-Com game that sounded like it might be true to the old ones. People at E3 definitely thought so. I feel it came about after people got so annoyed at the reboot that was announced before that. It even made this happen to an internet reviewer, Spoony:

Edited by Lord Napsack

Yeah, you pretty much have summed up everything I've heard about Other M. I think, as with most of his reviews, Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation gets the problems with the game down pretty well: http://www.escapistm...Metroid-Other-M

Brilliant! :lol: And spot on in every way. I think I'd feel justified in shouting "Betraaaaaaayed!" about Other M :yes:

My two big weakness's when it comes to games - rts and simulation based games (not the sims!! :giggle:). Ones like microsoft flight sim, gran turismo 5, age of empires series (aoe online lately) and sim city.

I've played both oblivion and skyrim and finished them, and overall I preferred oblivion. The dragons or though cool to begin with, got annoying after awhile, and that was only after I went and waited till late as possible (after doing misc and side missions) to start the main story.

Nothing against anyone who likes him, but I'm not a huge fan of yahtzee, and I must be the only one :giggle:

Anyone hanging out for far cry 3?

I've been following Yahtzee for the last few years and got to know his stuff pretty well. I even own a t-shirt with a bit from the episode for The Witcher. Can safely say I'm a fan :P

I honestly like simulation games. I like The Sims and Sim City. I've been interested in the free version of Microsoft Flight Simulator but not too keen on how it looks, though I have been wanting to play a flight sim for a while.

Far Cry 3, so far, has annoyed me. I was one of those people who stayed up until the wee hours of the morning watching E3 live. I wasn't keen on what I played of Far Cry 2, but thought it looked like something people could enjoy, but the gameplay they've shown of Far Cry 3 seems to display a lot that is wrong with gaming. These were my thoughts on the gameplay they showed at the Ubisoft conference at E3 (taken from my blog):

"In an attempt to show how mature games have got we see gratuitous tits and swearing. EDGY! The game did look quite pretty and I can imagine it’s pretty similar to Far Cry 2 (it looked like it). Oh, apart from these hallucination sequences that were just a confusing mess. Not much was really shown about this game, but it does seem to have stealth elements and highly scripted sequences."

Yeah... I still think that.

I love the silent hill games, so I really want to try my hand at amnesia! I've seen videos of guys playing it, they think they are so tough, but start screaming not long after :giggle:

Also a fan of the Silent Hill games here. I like the puzzle aspect to them.

Enjoy playing COD4:MW and Medal of Honour, although much prefer multiplayer/online to campaign gameplay.

My gaming started on the Nintendo 64, then progressed to good old Sonic on the Megadrive then on to Playstation, Gamecube and most consoles since. Did opt for the 360 over the PS3 though, didn't want both as I don't have as much time for gaming as I used to :blush2:

Edited by monkeybubbles

Enjoy playing COD4:MW and Medal of Honour, although much prefer multiplayer/online to campaign gameplay.

Did you mean the old ones set in WW2 or the new one set in modern times? Or both?

But I'm more of a single player guy. When the CoD series started not caring about the campaign so much past Modern Warfare 2 I started getting annoyed. I still get the games, but I don't enjoy them as much

Did you mean the old ones set in WW2 or the new one set in modern times? Or both?

But I'm more of a single player guy. When the CoD series started not caring about the campaign so much past Modern Warfare 2 I started getting annoyed. I still get the games, but I don't enjoy them as much

Both. Although have favoured the new one since I've had it purely due to the convenience of playing on the 360.

I play single player but rarely finish a game. I guess lack of time to play contributes to preferring quick bursts of multiplayer/online games.

I did spend an obscene amount of time trying to suss out Legend of Zelda when that was first out though.

Edited by monkeybubbles

Anyone hanging out for far cry 3?

Oh yeah, forgot about this one! I usually prefer gaming on my PC, and I'm guessing my PC will need an upgrade to play it. :hide: Loved FarCry (it utterly scared the bejeezus out of me), but for some reason I don't think I ever got around to FarCry 2. :dunno:

Another game I've just thought of is No One Lives Forever (1 & 2). They're a bit dated now, but they were brilliant, and funny too! :giggle:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing a lot of indie games recently. I have reviews for them all as well... May as well post them up here and see if anyone else has heard of them/played them:

Grotto King

Pilot Light

Don't Look Back

Octodad

Narbacular Drop

Those last two are student projects, so seem to mostly be a showcase of what they could do. Octodad is having a proper game coming from it (Octodad: Dadliest Catch), available on Steam in 2013, I think, whilst Narbacular Drop is pretty much a prototype for what became Portal.

Picked up Diablo III on the cheap today - been wanting to get it for a while but figured it was best to wait for the initial furore to die down. No problems with the servers . . . so far . . .

• 2 months later...

Prior to that, going back a long time, I fondly remember the first two X-COM games, especially Terror from the Deep. How I used to protect my squad members in that game. I remember I named the two leaders Mulder and Scully :lol:

I thought I must've mentioned these games before. A bang up to date version of XCOM has just been released. It's maybe a little dumbed down from the original(s) but it's still brilliant, the best game of its type that I've played since Terror from the Deep, which was the best part of 20 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKQrJYr0mvA

I've been playing two online games recently - one is a Merlin game based off the BBC series and played through Facebook (it's a closed beta at the moment, and plays much like an MMO but it's not one) and the other is a Pokemon MMO, which was fan-made by people who essentially ripped Pokemon Fire Red from it's cartridge and used it as a base to create an interactive, MMO game. It's quite cool.

• 2 weeks later...

(edited: I found the thread :D )

Has anybody seen the new Bioshock trailer? I'm really looking forward to it, hopefully it wont be disappointing.

On the other hand, there's just been the new Asassins Creed trailer, and I'm really not sure about that. Having played all the other games, I just don't see how they're going to get the same atmosphere in a pretty modern setting. Already in the older trailer, they showed the hero swinging from trees instead of rooftops, and his arms just looked like they were going straight through the branches. Hopefully they've fixed this now, but I'm not so sure. In one of the developer blogs, they said that the settings fans suggested were boring. I thought this was a pretty stupid thing to say, since the fans are the ones that are going to be buying and playing the game!

Best trailer I think I've seen so far is Tomb Raider, (sorry if I already mentioned this, I don't think I did) the very good looking story line is written by Terry Pratchetts daughter, Rhianna Pratchett :smile:

Edited by Hayley

Just popping in. Having nothing useful to add. :giggle: Hubby and both like gaming but he's much, much better than I am at it. Honestly can't play most of them by myself without him to get me out of tough spots. One thing I really do not like "jumping" in games. I have been trying to master that skills for years with various consoles and haven't once succeeded. Oh sure, I do occassionally get it right, but it's always by sheer accident and completely out of my ability to recreate. I current do have a PS3 and God of War, but keep getting stuck in the area where he goes into the building where everything's timed, blocks go up and down, you're swimming half the time and so on. Generally give up in disgust after about a half hour and up swearing at the character, throwing down the controller and picking up a book! I know, I know. He can't hear me and swearing at him will do no good. But at least I feel better for having done so! :giggle2:

I just finished fallout new vegas, and the dlc myself! About a week ago. Loved fallout 3 more myself.

Edited by Devi