Have you ever stolen a book?

dex

Shortly after reading both animal farm and 1984 at school, they mysteriously appeared on my bookshelf and are still there. I also read Mrs frisby and the rats of nimh and The crucible.

Edited by dex

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found books that were from school after I left, which should actually have been returned. It didn't intentionally keep them though, I just forgot about them! I have 'A Streetcar Named Desire' and a GCSE history book :doh:

I borrowed The Count Of Monte Cristo from my secondary school library (which was hugely neglected, as was the copy of the book) and genuinely forgot to give it back. Discovered it about a year after I left the school. I COULD have returned it, in theory, but I think I appreciate it more than anyone ever did when it was in that library!

Nope, I've never stolen a book.

I was chatting to a friend last week and she has a library book on her shelf that she borrowed about 5 years ago and forgot about. For some reason the library didn't chase her about it. She'd like to return it but is worried about doing so as she has no idea how much the fine would be. I told her I imagine there will be a top limit for fines - I can't imagine it would be more than about £10 - it's on her conscience so I think she'd benefit from giving it back!

ETA: I've just looked and libraries in Somerset charge a maximum of £10 - in Wiltshire (where she might also have borrowed it from) the maximum is £6.

Edited by Janet

I've still got text books (study guides, that kind of thing) from school that I was just too lazy to take back, but I've never stolen a book.

hahaha I'm surprised at how many people steal books... even "accidentally" :P

I don't think I have, but when I was younger I always used to forget to return books back to the library. I would eventually, but it was long after their due date

Well... I have some forgotten schoolbooks and school library books that accidentally ended up in a moving-box and I didn't realize I still had them till unpacking said box 3 years later... when I lived in another city....in another country.... on the other side of Europe :D

I also have once taken a showbook from ikea (they use actual books). I had gotten bored on a tediously long shopping trip with my mom and younger sister. I simply pulled a book out of one of those billy bookcases and started reading, telling my folks that they could come and pick me up when they were done. When they did come I simply put the book in my bag and never thought twice about it until I got home. I never finished reading it.

I stole Fifty Shades of Grey from a BDSM club :doh:

Of all the books you got possibly take....

Edited by Argon9

I too have ended up with a few old school books that I'm too embarrassed to return. Its been over a decade since I left school. I've even got one art book from college. I did manage to return another art book to that college and in doing so I found out that the books were supposed to be reference books never to have left the building. I hadn't known as they weren't kept in the college library but in the art department. I do sometimes think of posting that art book back only that college site is now closed down.

I must confess that when I was much, much younger than I am now, I stole Arthur C. Clark's 2010. I'm not proud of it, and I wasn't proud of it then, but I was a kid and had no cash, and I really wanted to read it. Of course, at the time, it was too new for the school library.

You stole it from a store? !

Edited by Argon9

A couple of books from school. My old books math, biology, home economics and psychology.

I wanted them, didn't want to return them after finishing them.

Some books were allowed to be kept, some not.

Also, a few books from a school library. 3 Shakespeare and another that I can't recall now. Oops!

Haven't stolen anything from a store though, so I feel ok. ;)