British History

Coryographies

As I stil consider myself a bit new to this tiny island, I really enjoy reading about its fascinating history (makes me feel more British? Who knows! It'll help me pass the citizenship test at least lol).

I'm interested in the palaeolithic, but keep getting more and more interested in more 'recent' periods like the Bronze Age and the Anglo-Saxons. Sometimes I even like Medieval history but then we're getting just a bit to recent for my tastes ;) (then again I do love the Victorians!)

Does anyone have any good books to recommend that they really enjoyed reading about British history? I'm currently reading Boudica by Vanessa Colleridge, and learning a lot about the Roman invasion of Britain and the things that led up to it. I also recently read The Year 1000 by Robert Lacey and Danny Danzinger, and Britain BC by Frances Pryor. So I'm all over the place!

I have a a shelf full of those sorts of books. When I get home I'll have a look through and see what I could recommend. My main area would be Medieval but I have some very good Anglo Saxon ones to suggest. I'll be back :smile:

Good luck with the Citizenship Test, I have been here for 50 years and I would probably find it difficult to pass.

Far history is fascinating. We have a bronze age burial site 100 metres from our house. It's amazing to think that there were people living around here thousands of years ago. I do sometimes wish that I could just sit somewhere, close my eyes then open them again to see, hear and smell what someone would see, hear and smell, hundreds or even thousands of years ago.

I usually open them again and find people staring at me worriedly as they shuffle on by, trying to herd their children away with causing alarm :P

that should have read "without causing alarm" ha ha

I have a a shelf full of those sorts of books. When I get home I'll have a look through and see what I could recommend. My main area would be Medieval but I have some very good Anglo Saxon ones to suggest. I'll be back :smile:

Two I would recommend are:

~A Biographical Dictionary of Dark Age Britan (from 500 - 1050)by Ann Williams, Alfred Smyth and DP Kirby - ISBN 1-85264-047-2

~ The Anglo Saxons edited by James Campbell (ISBN 0-14-014395-5 Penguin

I love the Victorians too but I don't know much about the other eras! Did you want a non-fiction book or is fiction set in those times ok too? My sister reads quite a lot of historical fiction, so I can get her recommendations for you if fiction is any good :smile:

Have you read any particularly good books on the Victorian period?

Oooh the Biographical Dictionary sounds really good, I'm going to look that one up.

Hm I think I'd be more interested in non-fiction books on the Victorians. I love a good historical fiction but I really don't enjoy the girly romance or the horror that seems to be most of what I come accross set in that era (or written in that era!).

Non fiction books on all aspects of the Victorians are quite easy to find. I have picked up several good ones from charity shops but unfortunately don't have them now and can't remember the titles.

I love all these suggestions :smile: I think the Jubilee, and the upcoming Olympics have stimulated my own interest in the history of these isles

I recently bought "British History for Dummies" which covers informational snippits from the Stone Age to the 21st century, and is a very interesting and easily-read dip-into book. Perfect for short breaks from the daily stress. :D

Usually I just stick to fiction reading for my historical enjoyment, nowadays it's almost as good as factual books for accuracy. Can't think of any fiction specifically Victorian off-hand, Cory, but I'm sure your local Library could help with suggstions?

Hmm ... Sherlock Holmes (Arthur Conan Doyle) just squeaked out of the Victorian age, didn't he?

It's close, at least.!

I loved both This Sceptred Isle and This Sceptred Isle: Twentieth Century. I listened to them on Radio 4 initially, and now have the full CD box set, but I believe the book version is taken direct from the audio. Excellent to listen to, so I'm sure would be just as good in book form.

If I was goiing to read one Prehistoric non Palaeo book book, it would be 'Ancestral Geographies of the Neolithic - Landscapes Monuments and Memory by Mark Edmonds though published in 1999 a lot of the content is still good today and he does do some of the most amazing vinettes using real archaeology to take you back in time. Most of the other prehistory books I have are text books or journals from work, and not all of those are interesting at all, in fact if you suffer from insomnia I recommend most archaeology books :smile:

Oooh the Biographical Dictionary sounds really good, I'm going to look that one up.

Hm I think I'd be more interested in non-fiction books on the Victorians. I love a good historical fiction but I really don't enjoy the girly romance or the horror that seems to be most of what I come accross set in that era (or written in that era!).

You might like the fiction trilogy of Rose Melikan, Cory ... ?

It starts with "The Blackstone Key" set in 1795 - a little early for "Victorian" but only by 30 years or so!

I've only read the first one myself (you've reminded me that there's now 2 others for me to :readingtwo: over the Summer) It dealt with establishing heroine Mary in an independent lifestyle - narrowly escaped from a life of drudgery teaching in a school - and includes a decent mystery, too. The male lead becomes her sidekick in detective work .- but it was unsoppy, and I enjoyed it.

It seemed to be a love-it or hate-it kinda book - but her following two novels indicate that there's fans "out there" who appreiciate her work. :smile:

• 4 weeks later...

Is anyone currently reading/has read "The Women of the Cousin's War" by Philippa Gregory?

It's non-fiction, and the histories (as far as they're known) of the three leads of her "Cousins War" series. Jacquetta, mother of Elizabeth Woodville the White Queen, then of Elizabeth herself, and also Margaret, the Red Queen.

I'm loving the novels of the series, but there's a l-o-n-g Q for the non-fic book at my Library, and pretty mixed reviews have come my way too so far.

Any thoughts, anybody?

P.S. - Welcome to our chats, Bonzoi :smile:

• 3 months later...

Well folks, British History has been made ... 2 - 3 months ago in fact, when a future monarch was conceived by Prince William and our Princess Kate - many congratulations to them both

Now all we have to do is wait - till the first book on our newest Royal star hits the shops! :D

Edited by Booknutt

One of the best books on British history I've read (and I've read it multiple times) is The Kings and Queens of England by Antonia Fraser. It covers British history from the Norman times to the present, as told through the reigns of the monarchs.

• 4 weeks later...

I have this lovely three volume edition The History of Britain by Simon Schama 3000 BC-2000 AD. I would certainly recommend them. :D

I'd agree, very readable. I really like some of his other work too.
Another, also very readable, overview is Rebecca Fraser's A People's History of Britain. (Rebecca Fraser is Antonia Fraser's daughter FWIW). Of course, there is always Churchill's A History of the English-Speaking Peoples. Highly personal viewpoint, but a great read!

If Cory is still reading this: a few Victorian history books I've enjoyed

The Victorians by AN Wilson (opinionated but well-informed overview)
Inventing the Victorians by Matthew Sweet (the Victorians were a more lively bunch than we traditionally give them credit for)
The Victorian Home by Judith Flanders (what it says on the tin - fascinatingly written).
The Victorian City by Judith Flanders (yet to read, but well reviewed look at Dickensian London)
any number of biographies, and various books on Victorian London if wanted. Edited by willoyd

If there is anyone in your family or friends circle who is showing an interest in Brit history - I'd suggest encouraging them to read the "Downton Abbey" books.

Yes, it's a fiction show, but it also flags up a very interesting period of our history. Two world wars, and huge changes for peoples of all classes - in fact the "class divide" virtually evaporated through mutual need over this period.

The books themselves are a very interesting mix of the fiction of the characters lives (reflecting of course the reality of that time) and actual historical fact, and stories from "real" people, which back the series up.

Not too heavy - just right for a fledgling, or the enthusiast who may be looking for a fun-read.

I've enjoyed both of them, and I'm sure will again too.

Happy New Year to All :smile:

• 1 month later...

I feel ridiculously pleased for old Richard III - vindicated at last, and freed from the elaborate stitch-up of centuries ago. 

Maybe I used to be sympathetic to him back then, in a past life? :smile:

Now what we need is a book to give us a more accurate history of this abused Uncle, and the fate of the two boy Princes he was accused of killing.

It's pretty certain it's their bones found buried under the Tower ... but whodunnit, and why, is still an open question   

It'd be an interesting :readingtwo:

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just ordered "Rise And Fall Of The British Empire" by James Lawrence. Is it good?

Excellent. He perhaps glides over some of the downsides of the British Empire, but on the whole IMO , a well balanced, fascinating read. BTW, it's Lawrence James, not James Lawrence. Edited by willoyd

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping to find a good book covering the history of the wars and battles between Britain and France. Kings and Queens, invasions and occupations etc.

Has anyone heard of anything like this? Did a quick search myself but got nothing.

Hello Timstar,

try "That Sweet Enemy" by Robert and Isabelle Tombs. I red it a long years ago and it was very good. 

http://www.amazon.com/That-Sweet-Enemy-Love-Hate-Relationship/dp/1400032393/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376823077&sr=8-1&keywords=That+Sweet+Enemy%3A+Britain+and+France

Hello Timstar,

try "That Sweet Enemy" by Robert and Isabelle Tombs. I red it a long years ago and it was very good. 

http://www.amazon.com/That-Sweet-Enemy-Love-Hate-Relationship/dp/1400032393/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376823077&sr=8-1&keywords=That+Sweet+Enemy%3A+Britain+and+France

Just the sort of thing I'm looking for, thanks! :)