Andrea's 2007 reading list

~Andrea~

Finally finished Dracula. It has a very gripping ending. Really enjoyed it although the third quarter of the novel dragged a little for me.

Next - Anne of Green Gables. Looking forward to this one. I'm hoping it's going to be light, cheerful and uplifting.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't get as much reading done on holiday as I'd expected. Finished Anne of Green Gables, really good but was glad to finish it. Now reading My Cousin Rachel, and enjoying it a lot. I haven't read any Daphne Du Maurier for years, and had forgotten how much I like this author.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished My cousin Rachel last night. It's such a well written book. The internal tension of the central character is so well done, and the story, although somewhat slow paced, for me never lost momentum and I was always left wanting to know what happened next. There is a lot of drama, emotion and mystery in this book but in the end, the reason I enjoyed it some much was simply the high quality of the writing.

Next - my penguin classic. Selected Writings of Meister Eckhart, a 12th century dominican monk. I've read the intro, now for the sermons... :welcomeboard:

I started Harry Potter and the half blood prince the other day as a light accompaniment to my penguin classic. I tried her first book and gave up because I didn't think it was very well written. I thought I'd give one of her later ones a chance in case she's got any better; sadly I don't think that's the case :lol:. It'll probably be nice and light and easy to read and no doubt the story and ideas will be good, but I must say I struggle with JKR's writing. It grates, and I've just been extra spoiled by My Cousin Rachel.

I will carry on with it, but I think the films are better frankly.

Well I'm a bit further into harry potter and I've started to enjoy it. I'm getting used to the writing style as well. Sometimes its difficult going from one book to another when the styles are so radically different. I think I'll enjoy the book for what it is, a nice easy read and a good bit of imaginative escapism. My comments above seem a bit rash now.

The penguin classic (to review) is going OK, but a lot slower than Harry Potter :lol:

Well my penguin review is due on the 16th so I have just 4 days! I'm only about 90 pages into the actual book! It's either going to be late or the review will have to be based on an incomplete reading. I have made some notes though so I think I know pretty much what I want to say about the book. I'll be so glad when it's done.

HP is tripping along nicely though, and makes a very nice antidote to the above.

• 2 weeks later...
Lol yes! I wish it was something a bit lighter. It's a bunch of sermons and theology :jump:

Niiice, Andrea:giggle:! I looked around for your reading list after seeing your views and taste in some of your other posts. I'm happy that I can relate with you. For example, right now a book I've had since August, Knowing God by J.I. Packer, has heavier material, and I finished two novels before finishing its first chapter! Now, however, it is becoming engrossing.

You're one of the very few people I know who prefer the Harry Potter movies over the books! What an honor for you, I know:lol:.

I am certainly going to put My Cousin Rachel on hold, after I have some time for it! It sounds like it's good for the same reasons I think a few other books, like Pride and Prejudice and Pilgrim's Progress (two P.P.'s! Teehee!), are good.

Niiice, Andrea:giggle:! I looked around for your reading list after seeing your views and taste in some of your other posts. I'm happy that I can relate with you. For example, right now a book I've had since August, Knowing God by J.I. Packer, has heavier material, and I finished two novels before finishing its first chapter! Now, however, it is becoming engrossing.

The sermon book is that bad actually. Very heavy but contains some interesting ideas. Perhaps more of a book to reflect on than read if you know what I mean. I think I started Knowing God once, a long time ago. Probably didn't get very far though :lol:

You're one of the very few people I know who prefer the Harry Potter movies over the books! What an honor for you, I know:jump:.

Well I did say that after only reading a few chapters. If you read some of my later posts you can see that I began to change my opinion as I read on.

Started Karma the other night. It's good so far. Very readable and made me laugh out loud in places. I'm not sure if I find the central character a little too self deprecating though (sorry Kerry :lol:)

But overall enjoying it.

Yes, FnC, Paige is that way - never apologise for having an opinion!

Perhaps I took her a bit too far down that road because I was very stressed when writing the book (6 weeks to write 100000 words is enough to stress anyone) so maybe my own feelings of inadequacy transferred across to the book! :lol:

Kerri

Yes, FnC, Paige is that way - never apologise for having an opinion!

Perhaps I took her a bit too far down that road because I was very stressed when writing the book (6 weeks to write 100000 words is enough to stress anyone) so maybe my own feelings of inadequacy transferred across to the book! ;)

Kerri

100000 words in 6 weeks is amazing. Hats off to you. Actually I find myself rather gripped by the book at the moment. I'm on page 220 already which is quite amazing for me as I'm usually quite a slow reader. My full verdict will appear in a few days :lol:.

• 2 weeks later...

Karma - by Holly Harvey

I finished Karma on the weekend and I really enjoyed it. It had me laughing out loud, and there's not many books that do that. There were a few things about the book I didn't like. I found the "baddie" characters (like Karen and Peter and the doctor) a bit too evil. They were a bit too villainous to be believable and a bit of subtlety would have gone a long way there. Also the bit where

Bob gets his come-uppance

seemed a bit rushed. Other than that I thought this was a great read. Enjoyable and light it had me turning the pages, and most of all it's very very funny. I would definitely read something by this author again.

I've started Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin, the first in the Rebus series. I'm only about 30 pages in but am really enjoying it so far and am very excited to have discovered a new author. I've got that great feeling when you know you're going to enjoy a book, and best of all, I know there's a whole series of them to be read. :censored:

I'm finding this book a bit slow. I also get put off in books (or films or drama series for that matter) when people jump in to bed together having only just met. I find it a bit of a cliche, it sometimes seems almost obligatory. Anyway that just happened in this book and as I was finding the pace slow as it was I rolled my eyes and thought boring...

I hope it picks up otherwise I might be forced to start another book in parallel.

I've started Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin, the first in the Rebus series. I'm only about 30 pages in but am really enjoying it so far and am very excited to have discovered a new author. I've got that great feeling when you know you're going to enjoy a book, and best of all, I know there's a whole series of them to be read. :D

Thanks, Andrea. I'm in the process of finding series to read so I might check out this particular one!

Thanks, Andrea. I'm in the process of finding series to read so I might check out this particular one!

Oh good I hope you enjoy it. There is also an Ian Rankin thread somewhere in specific authors/books if you want more info.

This book has picked up a bit now but I am still only on page 78 :D I am such a slow reader