Eckhart Tolle

kevv

I know some people will recoil in horror but.... "enlightenment" but its not religion. Deals mainly with the issues of "ego" and how it burdens us in our lives.

People will either love it or hate it.

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I read New Earth a couple of years ago and I found it invaluable. I try to adhere to the lesson it has taught me, but its no easy task. All the negative interactions in life are ego related, I know that to be true, but trying to live by Tolle's principles whilst dealing with the day-to-day negative energy created by others who don't care about 'the now' is a life long quest.

In a consumer society that is solely focussed on the attainment of stuff and the notion of ' me first', this book should be required reading.

I've read most of The Power of Now. It seems to me to be based loosely on Buddhism. I like the idea of living in the moment, rather than dwelling on the past or worrying about the future. I don't agree with all that he says, but he has some interesting ideas and good advice.

Coffin Nail, I agree with you on what you say about day to day living and trying not to let the "others" spark exasperation by their deeds, actions and ego driven delinquency.

My wife, who has also read both books, asks me 'why do you get so angry with people? ... it just is... when you get angry at people, for something they have done or said, the anger you demonstrate towards them is like swallowing poison and expecting them to die'. It's only you who suffers.

I retorted that, the anger is born out of exasperation because if everyone were like me, this world would be a nicer place to live,

We'd never get much done!..... but it would be a nicer place to live :P

I am of the same opinion, if everybody adhered to the Coffin Nail handbook that the world would be a fantastic place. My OH informed me that meglamaniacs and facist dictators are also of the same opinion.

I haven't had him killed yet, but I've informed the secret police about his wrong-thinking.

quite right too.

I often want to explain to the "others" where they are going wrong and how they are actually perceived by people but then I realise it is mostly futile because the "people" in question usually behave and think the same way as the "others". :P

I know it's me that is "out of step" but what a wonderful step it is, more like a little 'skip and a twizzle' :D

CN, having read ET, you might like Michael Ruppert. I watched the documentary called Collapse, based on his book Confronting Collapse. Love it.

Peak Oil.

Discuss. :fight:

I've just had a look at the website and its seems interesting. I might give it a whirl.

Having said that as a dedicated Michael Moore fan, and having read No Logo by Naomi Klein, just create in me a futile rage and intense apathy. Whilst the wealth is owned by 1% who aren't subject to our laws or morals, what can I do?

Protests don't work.

Lobbying doesn't work...politicians are either all crooked or in the pockets of the decision/money makers.

Multi-nationals paying lip service to green issues and recycling, that's a joke.

All I can do is fume quietly, plant my veggies and scream obsceneties at the TV, before they cart me off to a care home that my son's inheritance will be paying for.

The only thing you can do in these situations Coffin Nail and Kevv (and I know it's easier said than done, and no, I often don't take my own advice) is to start with yourself. If you chnage the way that you think and see things, then slowly you will see that those around you are changing too. It does work, but it is very difficult to do this all the time and stay perpetually in that space. I know that I can't, but when I do manage to do this, then it does make a big difference.

I have mentioned on here though many times in other thtreads, that I am a big fan of Eckkart Tolle's work. I have read both books, but for me at least resonate far more with A New Earth. I just love the way that he writes and the way that he expresses the different principles embodied in that text, for me it just makes so much sense. To me, this one book and the Conversations with God trilogy, are the only books that I need for conscious living.

Thanks Talisman and you're absolutely right. The only thing you CAN change is yourself. I'm determined not to sweat the small stuff today. To get through a shift with no hidden hostility or resentment towards my colleagues, to remain in the moment and conscious.

Well, the whole day might be pushing it....will try for ten minutes then keep reminding myself what my plan was when I'm wanting to attack a lazy workmate with my box-cutter.

I do try, I am mostly benign. I say "thank you" to the driver who "thanks me" for realising I have subjugated my 'right of way' to let him pass or overtake safely. Is that sad? or soft?

If my worst enemy (don't have any really but..) walked passed me and said "Hi" I would automatically say "Hi" then proceed to beat myself up for half an hour...

So, thank you for reading my posts and taking the time to be informative and friendly. We are already building the 'enlightened collective'

I won't explain but in the words of Michael Ruppert, I await, with unbridled excitement, the arrival of the "100th monkey" :smile:

That's all you can do Coffin Nail - get through each moment, knowing of course that since the only moment that we have is now, then that moment is in fact infinite ...

I know what you mean about the box cutters though - the Director at the home where I work has been throwing his weight around recently (again), and I have been sorely tempted of late to tell him how I feel, but of course it does not solve anything. Like another of my spiritual favourites A Course in Miracles says (and again this is one of Tolle's influences, a lot of what he says could have been lifted straight from there albeit in a different language), there are those who are giving love and those who are calling for it, and it is our duty to give it to those who are in need. I do try to see it in those terms, but during the times that I can't, or rather, choose not to, I want to punch his lights out !!

Edited by Talisman

I do try to see it in those terms, but during the times that I can't, or rather, choose not to, I want to punch his lights out !!

love it.. :)

Edited by kevv

I have The Power Of Now in my bookshelf , I picked it up at work where somebody had dumped it. Not read it yet. At first glance it does not seem to be advocating any sort of cult or set of weird beliefs. Let you know what I think after I read it.

I have just ordered three of these books from the library, goodness knows I could do with some help right now to set me on a more even keel, life is just so busy and stressful at the moment but I know it needn't be, I have so much to be thankful for... I just need to be calmer and better organised!

Thanks for bringing the books to my attention Kevv :smile:

Edited by chaliepud

You are welcome chaliepud. I was a bit sceptical about the book at first and it can be a little hard going, but as you begin to understand, it does become easier. I began to realise that I was already 'on the way' to 'being in the now'... quite revealing at times. Enjoy.

Vodkafan, no it's not cultist, it just helps to put some things into perspective and you do start to be able to 'slightly', at first, control those habitual feelings and thoughts that used to just pour out, or well up inside, depending on your personality. Hope you like it.

Vodkafan, no it's not cultist, it just helps to put some things into perspective and you do start to be able to 'slightly', at first, control those habitual feelings and thoughts that used to just pour out, or well up inside, depending on your personality. Hope you like it.

Hmm, why would I want to control my feelings? Never mind I will find out when I read I guess.

The short answer to that is, so that they won't control us - most people kid themselves that they don't have a choice to feel a certain way about the things that take place in their lives, but that is so that they don't have to take responsibility. By continuing to believe that we feel is largely due to external forces and/or other people, we don't have to change ourselves. In reality though, it's all just a bunch of thoughts, and of course, thoughts can be changed. We are not who we think we are !

I have always felt that emotional moods and feelings are at least partly a product of brain chemicals, enzymes, hormones; thoughts pass by like clouds across the sky or ships across a sea. All should be examined and lived through , whether good or bad; they are part real because they link us to our physical bodies but also part illusion. At the seat of all is my brain, which is like a quantum generator, it generates different posible outcomes based on my free will and is capable of changing the outside world.

51 years of life experience has made me reason that I have a spirit, which is the Life Force, linked to my physical body , which can be trained to be robust to physical and emotional adversity; but when the Life Force leaves my body it will die. I believe that I also have a soul which carries on after death.

I believe there is a God but I dislike organised religions which twist stuff about and try to tell me God wants this or that according to doctrine; religions are a control mechanism.

I don't actually think God cares very much; we misunderstand his game.

Sorry about the rant, I was just feeling a bit philisophical haha. I will read Tolle soon

You do that - some interesting insights there, no doubt garned through years of experience and self observation. Hopefully reading Tolle may give you a few more. I look forward to hearing about them.