What is your favourite series of Crime, Mystery. Thriller

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robert Crais and his Cole & Pike series are a great read. +1 for Jack Reacher - Lee Child is mining a rich vein with his irresistable former MP turned righteous vigilante.

I'd add that Tim Weaver's David Raker P.I. is a great character too. 'Never Coming Back' and 'The Dead Tracks' are both absolutely superb thrillers.

Love reading but hate TV adaptations of books as they generally get it wrong. Okay so we all have different imaginations.  Take Jeffrey Deavers The Bone Collector.  Lincoln Rhyme is NOT  black.  His carer is Thom (male) NOT Thelma (female) .  Amelia Sachs has RED hair which Angelia Jolie could have dyed.            The couple getting into the taxi were workcolleagues NOT a married couple etc etc etc.  Its the same with Val Mcdermaid and the Tony Hill and              A  Carol Jordan series .  The reason he and Carol are not a couple is because he is impotent.  But  watched an episode of Wire in the  blood recently and   Tony Hill was getting married (not to Carol but to someone else).  Did the writers just  conveniently forget about Tonys little problem.   So forget about the TV   series I prefer the books.    Incidentally are there any other Tony Hill books after the Jacko Vance sequel.  Carol blamed Tony for the death of her brother           and sister in law (unfair).  Did Carol blame herself for her work colleague Chris getting blinded by Jacko _- acid in her face when Carol asked her to     look after her cat.  Id like to read another book where they resolve their differences and what happened to Chris when she realised she would never see again.  A one way ticket to a clinic in Switzerland, no doubt.

I am a bit like that. I don't like book movies. unless they are good like the hunger game series just went and watched catching fire with my husband and a friend of ours for my 27 birthday. All I can say is wow we all loved it. I haven't read any of the books yet, I am waiting for the movies to finish.

I like the Reykjavik mysteries series by Arnaldur Indridason - I have read 8 out of the 9 so far translated into English from their original Icelandic, and each one seems to get better than the last. The fact that I am so familiar with many of the places that are written about in these books certainly helps.    

Edited by Talisman

• 1 month later...

I really loved 'The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie' by Alan Bradley. Flavia de Luce has become one of my favourite fictional characters. I'm looking forward to reading more of that world. 

Just realised I wrote and said this a trillion times 'It's on my reading list' 'I'm looking forward to reading that' etc. I'm never done reading and don't mind it.  :D 

I love the Stieg Larsson trilogy, Mankell and Michael Connolly. And, of course, all things Sherlock.

I'm also becoming better known in the UK for my series of critically-acclaimed serial killer thrillers set in and around Derby featuring the lugubrious, misunderstood genius DI Damen Brook. Look forward to some of you giving them a go. :)

Steve Dunne

Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes of course, a classic that will forever live on.

Agatha Christie´s Poirot series
Maj Sjöwall & Per Wahlöö's Martin Beck series
Stieg Larsson's Dragon tattoo triology

Leif GW Persson's Bäckström & Johansson series

I don't believe I've seen George Pelecanos or Philip Kerr mentioned anywhere.  Both have excellent detective/police procedurals going.  The Kerr books I've read are pre, during, and post WWII, based in Berlin.  It makes an interesting combination. 

George Pelecanos bases his books in Washington, D.C. and are both literary and great stories. 

Favourites of mine are Mo Hayder, Tess Gerritsen, Karen Rose and Martina Cole.  More recently Cath Staincliffe has also jumped onto this list. 

As a genre though, I am very open to suggestion and if a story grabs me I'll happily give it a go. 

I don't enjoy reading most contemporary crime fiction, but I do enjoy some historic crime and thriller series.

My favourites are the Daisy Dalrymple series by Carola Dunn and the Phryne Fisher series by Kerry Greenwood.  I imagine they're probably far too tame for most people here! :D  I do also love the comic Agatha Raisin series by M. C. Beaton, which are contemporary, but again, very tame for crime fiction, and with plenty of humour.

Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther books are excellent.

Tess Gerritsens' Rizzoli & Isles are excellent, very different from the TV show.

John Connolly and his Charlie Parker books are well worth your while.

Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole books are time well sped as well.

Leslie Charteris' Simon Templar aka Saint books are my favorite.

• 3 weeks later...