What is your favourite series of Crime, Mystery. Thriller

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I think any of the Scandinavian thrillers are great. I particularly enjoyed the recent Nesbo one. Also found a few new similar writers on Amazon - Axel Aberg's "Stockholm Sin" is a great holiday read. I think he's due another one soon.

And Michael Dibdin's police thrillers are fine writing.

• 2 weeks later...

I like reading crime/mystery/thrillers, but haven't read many series so far because in this genre, those series are usually very long and I like to read it in one go.

So far, my favourite crime series, however, is the Monkeewrench series by P. J. Tracy. They're about a group of hackers uncovering crimes. I really enjoy the characters and the plot!

Speaking of series. Author Maj Sjöwall who write the Martin Beck series with Per Wahlöö was on TV today to talk about her memories of writing those novels. She said among other things that many crime writers today can't write, and therefore shouldn't. And while society has changed a lot (for the worse) since they wrote the books, the characters are timeless.

They were really the first out there to write realistically about the police and how they are just normal people living paycheck to paycheck and having problems in marriage and feel dystopia etc etc.

They had authors Michael Connelly, Dennis Lehane and Jonathan Franzen on Skype to share what Sjöwall & Wahlöös books have meant to them in their writing, as they were big influences.

• 9 months later...

Authors I like in the mystery genre - Giles Blunt, Quintin Jardine, Stephen Booth, Peter Robinson, Alex Gray, Linwood Barclay, Mark Billingham, featuring Tom Thorne, some of these are crime and police stories, plus several more whose names just don't spring to mind at the moment, also like Karin Slaughter, Lisa Jackson, Val McDermid, although her last book had a really odd ending seemed out of character for her novels.  I don't really have a favourite series, sometimes if you read too many of the same author there is a tendency for sameness to creep in.  Sorry for rattling on.  :blush2:

The mysteries that John Banville wrote as Benjamin Black, featuring Quirk, the Irish coroner in the 1950's are wonderful.  Quirk is def quirky.  hee hee

Sue Grafton, although the last few I haven't cared about that much.  Shirley Murphy Rousseau writes the Joe Grey, talking cat - detective series.  Love. Joe. Grey. :D

Kathy Reichs, at least the first 6 or 7.

mrsmac, I don't know some of those names, I'll have to investigate! Thanks. :)  I do know Peter Robinson though, and like the couple I've read.

A new author we've discovered is Bill James.  Excellent.

Oh, also the New Orleans writer, who was in fact, recommended right here, is James Sallis. Great series, the Lew Griffin Mysteries.

And, of course, James Lee Burke.....his Dave Robicheaux series.

Hi Pontalba:  Have made a note of Bill James and James Sallis - haven't read anything by either of them but will check them out.   Always on the lookout for new authors.  :smile:

Love mysteries! It's definitely my favorite genre. I haven't read a ton of series, but my most-loved would have to be:

Thursday Next and Nursery Crimes by Jasper Fforde

Flavia de Luce Mysteries by Alan Bradley

Jonathan Argyle Art History Mysteries by Iain Pears

Julian Kestrel Mysteries by Kate Ross

I've just got the third in the Alan Bradley series so I haven't read it yet, but I loved the first two so I know I won't be disappointed. The Jonathan Argyle series is strictly a cozy but they are so lovely and hilarious! Love them :D.

Love, love, looove Thursday Next and Nursery Crimes. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I`ve read one of the Flavia books ( quite liked it ), shall give those other two authors a looksie. :D

I`ve really enjoyed some Golden Age detective authors :

Lord Peter Wimsey by Dorothy L Sayers, Campion by Margery Allingham, Roderick Alleyn by Ngaio Marsh, Inspector Grant by Josephine Tey, Gervase Fen by Edmund Crispin

.. And I`m currently liking cosy mysteries from...

Hannah Swensen by Joanne Fluke, Harry Haristeen by Rita Mae Brown, Aunt Dimity by Nancy Atherton, Meg Lanslow by Donna Andrews,

Dorothy Martin by Jeanne M Dams

Also, the Kathy Reichs series with Temperance Brennan and the late, great Robert B Parker`s Spenser series. :smile:

Edited by Little Pixie

Well I think any of the Scandinavian thrillers are great. I particularly enjoyed the recent Nesbo one. Also found a few new similar writers on Amazon - Axel Aberg's "Stockholm Sin" is a great holiday read. I think he's due another one soon.

And Michael Dibdin's police thrillers are fine writing.

Ditto - just read the final Aurelio Zen book and was sad to come to the end of the series. :smile:

• 1 month later...

Harry Hieronymus Bosch series & Mickey Haller series by Micheal Connelly

Simon Templar aka the Saint by Leslie Charteris

James Bond by Ian Fleming

Rizzoli & Isles by Tess Gerritsen

SHerlock Holmes by Sir Conan Doyle

Harry Hole by Jo Nesbo

The Scarlet pimpernel by Barones Orzcy

Charlie Parker by John Connolly

Lincoln Rhyme by Jeffrey Deaver

Fletch series & Flynn series by Gregory McDonald

Pendergast series by Child & Preston

Lovejoy by Jonathan Gash

Keller series by Lawrence Block

Jason Bourne series by Ludlum (only the three books)

Inspector Morse by Colin Dexter

the Spencer series & the Jesse stone series by Robert B Parker

The Rabbi Small series by Harry Kemelman

Philip Marlowe by Raymond Chandler (the two by Robert B PArker are quite good as well).

i love every book written by東野圭吾 and 凑かなえ,two japaneses writers, and i strongly recommend you their works,if you can find the english translated versions. I'm reading steven king's works as well, they're great, but i think i prefer the movies.

'Lincoln Rhyme series' By Jeffery Deaver.. Oh this is what got me into Crime in the first place. Deaver's brilliant, I thoroughly enjoyed all of his Rhyme books, especially The Bone Collector and The Coffin dancer. 

Edited by UnderTheDome40

The mysteries that John Banville wrote as Benjamin Black, featuring Quirk, the Irish coroner in the 1950's are wonderful.  Quirk is def quirky.  hee hee

Just saw today that the Beeb are making a series of those books, with Gabriel Byrne and Michael Gambon - should be on TV this Autumn. :smile:

Just saw today that the Beeb are making a series of those books, with Gabriel Byrne and Michael Gambon - should be on TV this Autumn. :smile:

Oy, maybe in a year or so (or more) I'll be able to get it on DVD...heh

Not sure about Byrne as Quirke though....too good looking.  lol

• 2 weeks later...

Three Len Deighton series.

The first is from the '60s: The Ipcress File, Funeral in Berlin, Horse Under Water, The Billion Dollar Brain. 

From the '80s there is the first "Bernard Samson" trilogy, Game, Set and Match.

This was followed by a second trilogy, Hook, Line and Sinker.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love the M. C. Beaton series (Hamish McBeth). Seems I'm hooked. I'm now on her Agatha Raisin series. Something about Scottish villages with quirky locals that does it for me!

The Hamish MacBeth series are situated in Scottish villages while Agatha Raisin is situated in England, I believe.

And the Raisin character I find a bit obnoxious, which takes me out of the novels time after time.

Edited by saintmark

• 1 month later...