What is your favourite series of Crime, Mystery. Thriller

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A big "Oh Yes!" from me for the Sherlock Holmes and both the Jasper Fforde and Karin Slaughter books.

To add my additional favourites;

Carol O'Connell's Mallory series.

Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series.

Dorothy L Sayer's Lord Peter Wimsey series.

Val McDermid's Carol Jordan / Tony Hill series.

Manda Scott's Kellen Stewart series.

Sara Paretsky's VI Warshawski series.

LIsa Gardner's Quincy / Rainie series

I'm very likely forgetting others I love, but these are authors for whom I always look.

Although I am only 2 books in I am really enjoying the Harry Hole seris by Jo Nesbo.

I would like to love the set but I've been waiting for the fourth book for nearly a month. I've read the last 2 out of order. Edited by dex

I've never really read that much within the crime/mystery/thriller genre before but I recently read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and really enjoyed it, I have the other two on my TBR pile :P

I've never really read that much within the crime/mystery/thriller genre before but I recently read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and really enjoyed it, I have the other two on my TBR pile :P

i enjoyed that series as well and I was sad when I knew that I had read the last one and there would be no more. I did find each book took about 100 pages to get going though.

i enjoyed that series as well and I was sad when I knew that I had read the last one and there would be no more. I did find each book took about 100 pages to get going though.

I always get that when I finish a series I've really enjoyed, I always feel slightly lost. I've heard many people say that about them, I had to keep stopping and starting the first one as I was still at uni so exams and coursework kept getting in the way :( but once I sat down and read it properly, I couldn't stop! :D

So far:

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series: Stieg Larsson

Reykjavik murder mysteries: Arnaldur Indridason (each one seems to get better than the last)

I am quite enjoying the Peter James book I am reading at the moment as well, so am definately going to look for some more of his.

Edited by Talisman

I'm going to be very predictable

Grant County series by Karin Slaughter
Lincoln Rhyme series by Jeffery Deaver
Dexter series by Jeff Lindsay

:smile2:

what did you think of Grant County? I have got to book two and the very first book of Her's I read was faithless but now I am going in the right order :readingtwo::smile: Edited by Amanda20102

Although I am only 2 books in I am really enjoying the Harry Hole seris by Jo Nesbo.

I'd go with that. Also, I'm really enjoying:

John Shakespeare series by Rory Clements

Roma Sub Rosa series by Steven Saylor

Matthew Shardlake series by CJ Sansom

I've only read one Jeffery Deaver so far but liked it a lot, so am going to check out some more of his, and I'm also going to give Ian Rankin a go.

Also there's stuff like the Jack Reacher novels I enjoy, and I quite like CJ Box, too :smile:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Love mysteries! It's definitely my favorite genre. I haven't read a ton of series, but my most-loved would have to be:

Thursday Next and Nursery Crimes by Jasper Fforde

Flavia de Luce Mysteries by Alan Bradley

Jonathan Argyle Art History Mysteries by Iain Pears

Julian Kestrel Mysteries by Kate Ross

I've just got the third in the Alan Bradley series so I haven't read it yet, but I loved the first two so I know I won't be disappointed. The Jonathan Argyle series is strictly a cozy but they are so lovely and hilarious! Love them :D.

Hi Lincolnshiremum and welcome to BCF! welcome2:

I like my crime to be funny or quirky which is why I live M. C. Beaton too, but I've never heard of M J Trow, so I'll pop off and have a look at the Mad Max Maxwell series now. Thanks for the recommendation :)

I quite like police based thrillers so,

Bob Skinner by Quintin Jardine

John Rebus by Ian rankin

Harry Hieronymus Bosch by Micheal Connelly

Harry Hole by Jo Nesbo

I've read 1 Robert Hunter by Chris Carter and been told the rest are as good.

Edited by dex

• 3 weeks later...

There are so many!

Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Jeffery Deaver's Rune series

Ian Rankin's Rebus books

Lee Child's Reacher books

The books series of John Le Carré and sherlock holmes.

In addition the italian writer "Camilleri" with your crime series "Montalbano" :readingtwo::giggle2:

I also love the books of John Le Carré :readingtwo: :readingtwo:

Plus i love the 007 series :P

The books series of John Le Carré and sherlock holmes.

In addition the italian writer "Camilleri" with your crime series "Montalbano" :readingtwo::giggle2:

I also love the John Le Carré's books :readingtwo: :readingtwo:

plus i like the 007 series :lurker:

I'm not very far in, but I would have to say Le Carré's George Smiley novels are excellent! (so far . . .).

Murakami's Wild Sheep Chase and Dance, Dance, Dance novels make me wish his first three stories about the same character were easily available in English.

Apart from that, I think the only crime/mystery/thriller series I have read are Colin Dexter's Morse novels (they get better as they go along and Morse becomes more like John Thaw's version of the character than Dexter's) and Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series (which get worse as they go along and she started to sniff the film rights).