A new bookworm joins you!

Coryographies

Hi everyone,

My name's Cory and I'm a Canadian expat living in the UK with my lovely English husband. I have a degree in linguistics but came to the UK to study archaeology and now I'm here to stay!

I've recently become self employed, and am also no longer a student (for the time being anyways) - these two things have combined to make me more likely to *gasp* read fiction!

I thought it would be nice to join, mostly to find out about new books that I might like, but maybe to share ones I've enjoyed as well.

I make and sell polymer clay book themed jewellery on Etsy, and I have a blog, but I'm assuming there's rules about links and self promotion so I'll wait a while until I find my feet here and learn the ropes before I break any rules on my first post ;)

The last book I read was Company of Liars by Karen Maitland, a historical novel set in the Middle Ages about a group of travellers trying to escape the spread of plague. I really liked it, although my mother in law is reading it now and isn't a big fan.

My favourite books of all time are Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M Auel (though I have no desire to read the latest in the series), and the His Dark Materials series by Phillip Pullman. As a child my favourite book was Bambi by Felix Saltan... I haven't read it in years, perhaps it's time to see if I still love it!

I hope to have a nice time here with you all :)

Welcome Cory. :)

I read the Maitland you mention a year or so ago, and enjoyed it. The ending disturbed me though. I don't remember the exact details now, but I remember thinking it would have been more interesting if she had not solved the ending with

a magical sort of ending. Something more realistic would have been more satisfying to me (at least).

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

Pontalba I totally agree - I would have preferred it that way as well! I didn't like the ending scenes at all.

Glad to see others like Bambi too - so different from the Disney adaptation, and much better I think :)