Adventure Series - Old and New

Does anyone else remember the Willard Price Adventure series, published between 1949 and 1980? I was recently asked if I'd like to review Leopard Adventure, the first in a new contemporary retelling, and it brought back memories of the original series. I can recall working my way through, being excited when I found a new one in the library!

They told the adventures of Roger and Hal Hunt, helping their father collect exotic and endangered animals, and they focused on a different animal each time.

The new series tells the story of their children - Amazon and Frazer, and despite a few niggles, I found it quite good. Here's my review:

Leopard Adventure is the first in a new series of books - an authorised contemporary retelling of the classic adventure series written by Willard Price.

The original series was published between 1949 and 1980, and I can still remember working my way through them as a young reader. They told the story of Roger and Hal Hunt, who had many adventures helping their dad capture exotic and endangered animals.

Leopard Adventure introduces Roger's daughter, Amazon, and Hal's son Frazer. Sadly the brothers no longer seem to see eye to eye, and so the two young people are only just meeting for the first time. Frazer has already been involved in conservation, but Amazon seems to have been left behind whilst her parents travel the globe!

Amazon is invited to help TRACKS, an organisation which rescues wild animals, no matter what the danger. In this story they are trying to rescue an endangered Leopard, dealing with a dangerous tiger, an out of control fire, and some human enemies.

Amazon and Frazer are rather charming, and it's nice to see them getting on despite their parent's issues with each other. They do face some rather extreme situations, but this is combined with some interesting facts and issues surrounding endangered animals and conservation.

I certainly enjoyed the tale, and I can see the appeal for younger readers (it's aimed at 9+) - which the adventure based content, the animals, and a strong girl character, there's plenty for everyone. Even as an older reader, I'm quite interested to see how everything will develop, and will probably be picking up the next book in January, Shark Adventure.

The original series is also being relaunched, with new covers, and I'm quite tempted to take a look at those too!

I haven't come across these before, Michelle. What with my Dahl challenge (which has taken something of a back seat at the moment) and me reading my way through the Narnia chronicles I'm not sure I have room in my life for any more children's books, but but they certainly sound interesting. Great review. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't read this series but I really loved the 'Deltora quest' series and other books by the same author. :)

This quote from amazon books

Filled with action, adventure, and magic, Emily Rodda's remarkable Deltora series begins right here--with a spectacular new lenticular 3-D cover!

The evil Shadow Lord is plotting to invade the land of Deltora and enslave its people. All that stands against him is the magic Belt of Deltora with its seven stones of great and mysterious power.

In secrecy, with only a hand-drawn map to guide them, two unlikely companions set out on a dangerous quest. Determined to find the lost stones and rid their land of the Shadow Lord, they struggle toward their first goal--the sinister Forests of Silence.

Show More

Show Less