Looking forward (or not?) to reading Austen?

I always find it fascinating how I can find new things of interest in any of the book when I read them in some version other than my very-loved little Collector's Library novels, Angel. It's like looking at the stories from another angle, and then that new realisation adds to the whole experience from then on..

I keep dropping hints about liking the idea of an ereader around Christmas and birthday times - but so far no-one's taken me up on it - so I'll stick to the traditional :readingtwo::smile:

:cheers:

That's exactly why I love rereading my books. I never thought that I would take to an ereader but I have had one for 2 months now and I love it - wouldn't be without it. However it will never replace my books

I could definitely go for some J.A. I've read all her (completed) books multiple times, but it's been a few years (since the 2008 BCF club). My favorite is Persuasion, but I love them all! I'm kind of in a Pride & Prejudice mood. Hmmm....

Don't forget to add your thoughts to the individual threads so that everyone can find them easily!

I'm thinking of re-reading some Austen shortly. My favourite is Northanger Abbey - I just love the humour in the Gothic novel parody, and Henry Tilney is just to die for! Closely followed by P&P and the aloof Mr Darcy! ;)

Keep at it, S.B.!

Sense & S. is one I've read loads of times. It makes lots of good points about human relationships, and is worth the initial effort :smile:

Thank you for the encouragement Booknutt.

I completed reading it last night - and it has given me a few things to think about.

Though much less entertaining than Pride & Prejudice was (I think mainly because of the lesser number of conversations and more passive reflections and observations) - this book covers more complexities in terms of "love" and relationships.

I'm glad I read it.

Always happy to share the pleasure of reading Miss Austen, Bree.

I think her books are very wrongly generally dismissed as "romances" or light reading. She was a gifted observer of human beings and their strengths and weaknesses, and weaves all together into an entertaining story

That's why we go back to them - there's always something to note from another reading.

Have a great Christmas all Janeites - :grinhat:

• 1 month later...

We forgot to mark the 200th anniversary of "Pride and Prejudice" earlier this week! :doh:

Never mind - we'll continue to love all the books here. :smile:

So buy your bars of chocolate, fans, choose your novel (I'm revisiting "Emma" currently, in between other "reads") and settle down to enjoy as fans traditionally have, since our great-great-great grandma's days! :D

• 2 months later...

All P& P fans are cordially invited to -

This Friday night (10th May) BBC 2, 9 p.m. - 10.30 where the programme of "Pride and Prejudice - Having a Ball" will be screened, to show us the kind of preparations required to throw the Ball at Netherfield.

Food, dancing, music and costumes will be enjoyed by all -

Comfy slippers and chocolate in a form of choice, must be provided by the individuals concerned! :D

Have a good time - and come and share what we thought of it - ? :smile:  

Edited by Booknutt

Well, fans - I loved it.

Everything was covered from underwear to dancing, invitations to that glorious food!

Amazing how even the young profesional dancers who made up the Ball-goers admitted how tiring they found the dances, some of which could last for half an hour. Those romantic Regency folks were pretty fit - even if the women at least, had no access to Gyms back then.

I loved the idea of the pretty paper fans with the "prompt" printed on the back to help anyone uncertain of the steps. Useful for the gals, but the chaps had no such help.   

Altogether very enjoyable. I give it eight out of ten. My disappointments were that it could have easily been two hours long, and the room chosen at Chawton House seemed quite small to me - it wasn't possible to enjoy the music and admire the grace of the dancing as much as I'd have liked, as the dancers were actually quite squeezed together.

Still, I've got the dancing in the original Ehle/Firth P & P DVD to enioy anytime I fancy. :smile:

• 1 month later...

Beautiful, isn't it, Rekha333? The Knighty/McFadden version shows a bit, too, also some of the  film versions of the other novels.

Jane Austen herself loved dancing. The figures of the dances, and the changing of partners also reflect the attitudes of the characters as they work their way through their growing relationship - meeting and parting, meeting and parting - till they finish the dance ... together. Lovely.

Pure romance - without the modern day need for snogging as part of the action! :smile: