A Game of Thrones poll

A Game of Thrones  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Have you read A Game of Thrones and have you/will you read other fantasy books?

• I am a fantasy fan and have read A Game of Thrones, among many others. Gimme more fantasy!
    • I am a fantasy fan but I have not read A Game of Thrones, though I may do in the future. I'm intrigued!
    • I am a fantasy fan and have no intention of reading A Game of Thrones.
    • I am new to fantasy and have read A Game of Thrones but I don't want to read any other fantasy. I didn't like it!
    • I am new to fantasy and have read A Game of Thrones, loved it and want to read other fantasy books. More more more!
    • I am new to fantasy and have not read A Game of Thrones, but I may read it in the future, if there's nothing better to read!
    • Fantasy? Don't talk to me about that rubbish!

I mean I loved The Lord of the Rings films, but struggled with the books.

It took me about four attempts to get through the books, and I like fantasy. I doubt very much that you'd have the same problem with Thrones, it's much more adult and not even remotely twee :smile:

I haven't seen the TV series and have no idea what the books are about. I do read fantasy, but I tend to like Neil Gaiman, Clive Barker, Conan the Barbarian type fantasies rather than anything with Orcs and Dwarves and Elves. So I was a bit on the fence whether to vote for choice 2 or 3 but in the end went for 3, as I will probably not get around to reading this series.

I haven't seen the TV series and have no idea what the books are about. I do read fantasy, but I tend to like Neil Gaiman, Clive Barker, Conan the Barbarian type fantasies rather than anything with Orcs and Dwarves and Elves. So I was a bit on the fence whether to vote for choice 2 or 3 but in the end went for 3, as I will probably not get around to reading this series.

There are no orcs or elves in Game of Thrones, mate. There is one dwarf, a human dwarf, who's one of the best characters in it.

I went to the library today and all the copies were borrowed, which isn't really a shocker. But how am I going to ever get to actually reading the book and to then seeing if it will seduce me into reading more fantasy? :blush:

But how am I going to ever get to actually reading the book and to then seeing if it will seduce me into reading more fantasy? :blush:

Did they have any Guy Gavriel Kay? Just sayin' :D

Did they have any Guy Gavriel Kay? Just sayin' :D

Yes, but not in English! :( And I refuse to read it in Finnish. (And I actually looked. I even looked for Hyperion, but the English copy was borrowed, unfortunately. )

Yes, but not in English! :( And I refuse to read it in Finnish. (And I actually looked. I even looked for Hyperion, but the English copy was borrowed, unfortunately. )

:(

Great that you looked for them, though! :D

It took me about four attempts to get through the books, and I like fantasy. I doubt very much that you'd have the same problem with Thrones, it's much more adult and not even remotely twee :smile:

Then I shall add it to my Amazon wishlist. I should have bought it over Christmas when it was part of the 12 Days of Kindle. :doh:

And yet you're going to read A Game of Thrones, which goes some way to proving that the series is pulling in people who wouldn't normally read fantasy.

I guess that's the section in Waterstones that's now classed as 'Dark Fantasy' ... <<shudder>> :giggle2:;)

If it hadn't been on the telly and I hadn't love it so much, I would never have thought of picking up the book based on the blurb on the back as it sounds exactly the kind of thing I don't usually enjoy very much (althoug hI have enjoyed some books which feature all those things!). I don't hate them, or anything - I just don't tend towards them very often. :)

Too many poll choices for my tiny mind.

I've just started reading this series.

A mere 90 pages in so far and despite conforming to one of my main fantasy novel bug-bears (it's got a bloody map at the front!) all looks good so far.

• 1 month later...

I've liked fantasy for many years, but more the "soft" kind of fantasy like Harry Potter, LOTR, The Night Watch series, etc.

I've recently bought the boxset of A Song of Ice and Fire - I saw them for a ridiculously low price at amazon.de and I couldn't find them anywhere in English. I really want to read them, but I'll want to read the entire series, so I'll have to wait until I'm graduated at the end of January to really start reading them!

I've recently bought the boxset of A Song of Ice and Fire - I saw them for a ridiculously low price at amazon.de and I couldn't find them anywhere in English. I really want to read them, but I'll want to read the entire series, so I'll have to wait until I'm graduated at the end of January to really start reading them!

You probably already know this but, just in case - the boxed set you have isn't the complete series, because he hasn't finished writing them yet. I reckon it'll be another 10 years before he completes it, the speed he's going at.

You probably already know this but, just in case - the boxed set you have isn't the complete series, because he hasn't finished writing them yet. I reckon it'll be another 10 years before he completes it, the speed he's going at.

Yeah, I know he's not finished :) But for that price I just had to buy it - they only came in a boxed set, which is why I have one, otherwise I'd just have bought the books separately.

I'd rather he took his time and got them right then caving to pressure from fans and publishers and rush the last few. That is what happened with King's Dark Tower and I was very disappointed.

Also means I can take my time reading them :D

Edited by Timstar

I'd rather he took his time and got them right then caving to pressure from fans and publishers and rush the last few. That is what happened with King's Dark Tower and I was very disappointed.

Also means I can take my time reading them :D

It's one thing taking his time and getting them right, but he's taken 10 years to write the last two books and they were most definitely not right, imo.

David Gemmell's final book was completed by his wife and published almost to schedule, and Robert Jordan told Brandon Sanderson the details of his plan (even if Sanderson is milking it). Martin has so far refused to tell anyone, apparently. The final book will probably say 'Based on the tv series' on the cover :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I voted I am new to fantasy and have read AGOT and want to read more fantasy. I really got hooked on the show when it began, and that in turn made me interested in the books, but fantasy for some reason is just one genre I've never broached. Anyway, I don't know why I put off reading them for as long as I did, I think I was nervous I wouldn't 'get' them, but I absolutely loved them and thought they were great. My only gripe is they are SO long, feels like it takes me forever and day just to get through one book, but I'm 2 books down and only 5 to go.... :giggle2: