A Game of Thrones poll

A Game of Thrones  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Have you read A Game of Thrones and have you/will you read other fantasy books?

• I am a fantasy fan and have read A Game of Thrones, among many others. Gimme more fantasy!
    • I am a fantasy fan but I have not read A Game of Thrones, though I may do in the future. I'm intrigued!
    • I am a fantasy fan and have no intention of reading A Game of Thrones.
    • I am new to fantasy and have read A Game of Thrones but I don't want to read any other fantasy. I didn't like it!
    • I am new to fantasy and have read A Game of Thrones, loved it and want to read other fantasy books. More more more!
    • I am new to fantasy and have not read A Game of Thrones, but I may read it in the future, if there's nothing better to read!
    • Fantasy? Don't talk to me about that rubbish!

I'm curious to find out what sort of effect the success of the George RR Martin's 'A Song of Ice & Fire' series, and the Game of Thrones tv series, is having on people's fantasy reading habits (or lack thereof). Are people reading more fantasy because of it, or running away even faster, or just don't care - hence the poll :D

If you were new to the genre, read A Game of Thrones and liked it, what other fantasy books did it lead you to?

Edited by Karsa Orlong

You forgot to add this choice: 'I'm relatively new to fantasy and have not read A Game of Thrones, but I may read it in the future and then some more fantasy!' :giggle:

On a more serious note: it'll be interesting to see the results. I'll vote for the closest choice, meaning the second from the bottom.

How about 'I'm yet to read any fantasy but I keep hearing about this book so it may sway me to read it'. Thats about where I probably fit, i'll read any genre at least once just to see what I may be missing out on.

I went for the third-from-bottom option. I've just finished A Game of Thrones and really enjoyed it, but I've never really tackled fantasy that much other than a select few: The Original Shannara Trilogy by Terry Brooks, Lord of The Rings. Other than them I've definitely never hunted out fantasy books, and I think Martin's novel will inspire me to do so.

I'm planning on going over to Timstar's fantasy thread as that seems as good of a place as any to start.

Edited by Ben

This is slightly off-topic, I hope you don't mind:

Ben, you've read Jasper Fforde, right? Or do I remember wrong? If you have, why is it that we don't perhaps acknowledge it as fantasy as easily as, say, the fantasy novels that have to do with swords, dragons and that sort of thing? Hm, that sounded like an accusation, which is so not how I meant it to come off :D It just bothers me that I personally never remember Fforde's series when people talk about fantasy.

You forgot to add this choice: 'I'm relatively new to fantasy and have not read A Game of Thrones, but I may read it in the future and then some more fantasy!' :giggle:

I could've been here all day coming up with choices to suit every last person :lol:

Ben, you've read Jasper Fforde, right? Or do I remember wrong? If you have, why is it that we don't perhaps acknowledge it as fantasy as easily as, say, the fantasy novels that have to do with swords, dragons and that sort of thing? Hm, that sounded like an accusation, which is so not how I meant it to come off :D It just bothers me that I personally never remember Fforde's series when people talk about fantasy.

:lol: I've never read any Jasper Fforde.

I could've been here all day coming up with choices to suit every last person :lol:

I know, sorry! But I had to say that, in reference to our previous discussions on the topic :D

And at least I voted! :blush:

:lol: I've never read any Jasper Fforde.

Oh, sorry! I was certain you must have. :blush:

I wonder if I should go ahead and reserve a copy of the first novel in the series, or perhaps buy the book. Buying the book would mean I would have to read it eventually, but it could also end up feeling like a chore.... And I have too many books as it is...

I voted for the second option. I actually already own the book, so I will definitely be reading it in the future. I've watched the first one or two episodes of the show as well.

I think it's reasonably good, but perhaps hasn't lived up to the hype I've witnessed. I think it'll be better once I get into the story a bit more and can tell the characters apart etc. It's still all very new.

I'm new to this style of fantasy, but seeing how many people love the books on here, I might be tempted to give it a go in the future, however, I did try and watch the first episode of the first series on television, and fell asleep, so I'm a bit on the fence really.

I voted for the 3rd from bottom choice - I'm fairly new to fantasy I'd only read Lord of The Rings 'til I read A game of Thrones, I'm definately going to read all the books in the Song of Fire and Ice series but not sure where I'll go after them :blush2:

Karsa, HELP!!!!

I'm sort of 'Read a bit of fantasy, really enjoyed it, son's raving about Game of Thrones, may borrow the books off him sometime.' .....where do I make my tick ?? (would hate to stuff up the whole poll!) :giggle2:

OK, I went for option 2, I think that's the nearest :D

Edited by poppy

"Other"

I'm not new to fantasy, but I don't tend to read much of it* (Pratchett is pretty much the only one, really), but I loved the TV show and have the first book waiting to be read when I have finished all my review books. Based entirely on how much I have enjoyed both seasons of the TV show, I believe that I will read and enjoy the whole series of books.

I quite enjoy urban fantasy, but I'm not really into the sword and sorcery type. Gimme some Jasper Fforde or Pratchett and I'm happy, but hand me Lord of the Rings and I'll say, "No thank you!" (I cannot get into Tolkien's style of writing at all!). Same with pretty much anything that features dragons, unicorns, fairies, sorcery, and ye olde worlde style backdrops.

You should add "I'm a fantasy fan and I have read the first four books of A Song of Ice and Fire but since he won't finish the series while I'm alive, I do not plan on reading book 5." :P

:rolleyes:

That's not the point of this poll, Vinay - the point is to find out whether or not this series has encouraged people to read other fantasy books/authors :smile:

Same with pretty much anything that features dragons, unicorns, fairies, sorcery, and ye olde worlde style backdrops.

And yet you're going to read A Game of Thrones, which goes some way to proving that the series is pulling in people who wouldn't normally read fantasy.

I had to choose the final option as I have never found any fantasy that appeals unless you include paranormal fiction...which I'm sure you don't!! :giggle2:

I guess that's the section in Waterstones that's now classed as 'Dark Fantasy' ... <<shudder>> :giggle2:;)

I'm undecided, but leaning towards reading A Game of Thrones, even though I'm not a huge fantasy fan. I mean I loved The Lord of the Rings films, but struggled with the books. Apart from that I haven't really read much fantasy, which is why I'm hesitant. :lurker: